Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

TP2000

The conceit of Mickey and Minnie is that in 'real life' they are married, but, they are also movie/TV stars, and as such, are often portrayed as courting sweethearts.

I've always thought of Mickey & Minnie like Jack Benny and Mary Livingston, even years after the Jack Benny Program had been on television. They were just sort of... sweethearts. Or regular dates. Or something.

But nothing so blatant as being husband and wife. Because that would mean... you know. ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've always thought of Mickey & Minnie like Jack Benny and Mary Livingston, even years after the Jack Benny Program had been on television. They were just sort of... sweethearts. Or regular dates. Or something.

But nothing so blatant as being husband and wife. Because that would mean... you know. ;)
1664778444807.png

No Name

The conceit of Mickey and Minnie is that in 'real life' they are married, but, they are also movie/TV stars, and as such, are often portrayed as courting sweethearts.

So, if you're in the 'real life' world of Mickey and Minnie, it wouldn't be at all surprising to see a local theater running one of their movies.

It would be like seeing John Krasinski and Emily Blunt on the streets of L.A., and then seeing a local theater playing A Quiet Place. But, don't step into that movie!
The point of discussion isn’t about the theater running the movie, it’s about stepping into that world. And your analogy is just a worse version of the one I gave since John Krasinki isn’t playing a fictionalized version of himself. Get some sleep!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The point of discussion isn’t about the theater running the movie, it’s about stepping into that world. And your analogy is just a worse version of the one I gave since John Krasinki isn’t playing a fictionalized version of himself. Get some sleep!
I fully understand and I disagree.

Castle Cake Apologist

Are they married, though? I don't think any official media has ever shown them have a wedding, and they always have separate houses in the shorts and all the various incarnations of Toontown. I always thought they were just... going steady? Maybe Mickey is afraid of commitment?

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

I personally do think the pre-show won't be as effective if you're already in the toon world, but my bigger gripe is the dichotomy between the Rudish-style Fab 5 and the traditional Fab 5 found in the rest of the land.

Don't get me wrong, I adore the modern Mickey shorts, and don't take any objection at all to their styling. I just think it will feel like a weird juxtaposition, especially under the conceit that we're going to the theatre in classic Mickey's neighborhood to watch his latest short, but for some reason, he looks totally different in it? I think it'd be interesting if they included some kind of reference to the style change, like Goofy saying, "Gawrsh, Mick, we sure look weird allasudd'n, a'hyuck!"

I dunno, I tend to think too deeply about these things. 😅

Californian Elitist

Are they married, though? I don't think any official media has ever shown them have a wedding, and they always have separate houses in the shorts and all the various incarnations of Toontown. I always thought they were just... going steady? Maybe Mickey is afraid of commitment?
They are married. I had their wedding plushies when I was a kid.

Phroobar

Mickey and Minnie are always dating but have never gotten married. Kermit and Piggy never got married either. Popeye and Olive Oly never got married. Sweet Pea is a "foundling". Burt & Ernie are not gay. They are just friends.

lazyboy97o

Walt Disney said they are married.

“In private life, Mickey is married to Minnie. A lot of people have written to him asking this question, because sometimes he appears to be married to her in his films and other times still courting her. What it really amounts to is that Minnie is, for screen purposes, his leading lady. If the story calls for a romantic courtship, then Minnie is the girl; but when the story requires a married couple, then they appear as man and wife. In the studio we have decided that they are married already.”

Castle Cake Apologist

Walt Disney said they are married.

“In private life, Mickey is married to Minnie. A lot of people have written to him asking this question, because sometimes he appears to be married to her in his films and other times still courting her. What it really amounts to is that Minnie is, for screen purposes, his leading lady. If the story calls for a romantic courtship, then Minnie is the girl; but when the story requires a married couple, then they appear as man and wife. In the studio we have decided that they are married already.”

Well, that settles that!

Though, it opens more questions than it answers about their separate houses. 🤔

Parteecia

My understanding was that Toon Town is the segregated area where the Toons are allowed to live when they're not working making a movie. So you would still be going from their real life to a movie.

Last edited:

BubbaisSleep

Well with each of their houses being so specifically personalized, I’d imagine both Mickey and Minnie weren’t able to sell either of their properties after getting married. Especially not in this market, the chipmunks sadly had to recently demolish their home in the trees & Tarzan was even evicted from his home with no potential buyers in the foreseeable future.

Phroobar

Well with each of their houses being so specifically personalized, I’d imagine both Mickey and Minnie weren’t able to sell either of their properties after getting married. Especially not in this market, the chipmunks sadly had to recently demolish their home in the trees & Tarzan was even evicted from his home with no potential buyers in the foreseeable future.
Tarzan was underwater on his mortgage. He paid too much to the Swiss investors he bought it from so it is banked owned. The Muppet Theater was sold to a soulless corporation. Kermit was evicted in order to show coming attractions of movies that bombed and for kids to badly sing "Let It Go!" over and over.

iu

VJ

My understanding was that Toon Town is the segregated area where the Toons are allowed to live when they're not working making a movie. So you would still be going from their real life to a movie.
the in-universe story of the land is that toontown is a neighborhood the disney characters have lived in since disneyland opened, it just was never open to humans until now

i don't think the land is meant to be you stepping into a cartoon, but more that the characters are living in this world, disneyland, and by entering the screen you are then entering the toon world

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom