WDW literally falling apart

Buried20KLeague

From the perspective of a modern Disney exec, keeping Space open makes no sense at all. You just spent a lot of money to build a very similar, “superior” version next door. Space desperately needs a major renovation, a big outlay of money for very little demonstrable ROI. Closing the ride won’t kill merch sales, as EPCOT demonstrates guests will happily shell out for baubles celebrating defunct attractions. There’s probably some value to keeping the iconic Space building intact, but the ride? Nah. You can always put something new in there in a decade or so.

I believe they’ll likely change the track and make it a new experience at some point (should have been 2007)…. But it’ll always be a coaster and always called space mountain. IMO

Goofyernmost

I believe they’ll likely change the track and make it a new experience at some point (should have been 2007)…. But it’ll always be a coaster and always called space mountain. IMO
On my first visit in 1983 at rope drop there was a literal stampede to Space Mountain. Forty years later it still has lines. The lawyers will probably be pushing for a new track before someone gets hurt and someone gets a whole crapload of money from Disney's deep pockets, but it will always be there for at least the next 50 years. I plan on riding it on my 124th birthday celebration.

Last edited:

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
For starters other than both being coasters. Tron and Space are nothing alike imo. Dare i say it Space getting an IP upgrade may be beneficial. Possibly some onride audio spend some money on the attraction for a new track which we know is needed & some possible graphics i truly dk but i think its possible to make this attraction better if done properly.

Animaniac93-98

From the perspective of a modern Disney exec, keeping Space open makes no sense at all. You just spent a lot of money to build a very similar, “superior” version next door. Space desperately needs a major renovation, a big outlay of money for very little demonstrable ROI. Closing the ride won’t kill merch sales, as EPCOT demonstrates guests will happily shell out for baubles celebrating defunct attractions. There’s probably some value to keeping the iconic Space building intact, but the ride? Nah. You can always put something new in there in a decade or so.

I hate how true this statement is. You'd think an updated Space Mountain might encourage more Genie+/ILL sales, but I doubt they do...

MaryJaneP

Maybe WDW could keep PeopleMover open while totally refurbing SM by building bypass track that keep PM out of SM altogether. Unlikely since it costs $$$$ but doable.

LittleBuford

I hope they create a scholarship in honor of the lives lost during The Great Façade Crumble of 2022. First Betty White; now this? It’s such an awful year that TRON won’t even associate itself with 2022.

How much more can we be expected to endure, 2022?
In all seriousness, the fact that WDW weathered Ian pretty well shows that it is not literally falling apart and that its buildings are as a rule well maintained.

Smiley/OCD

In all seriousness, the fact that WDW weathered Ian pretty well shows that it is not literally falling apart and that its buildings are as a rule well maintained.
See, that’s it…the doom & groomers will have you believe that a hurricane that Disney just went through would have destroyed whole buildings on property. It’s not the infrastructure that’s failing, it’s the details…the trim, paint, lightbulbs, etc. THATS what is falling through the cracks. We as super fans will notice that instantly…the guests that go once every 5-10 years or first timers won’t know or won’t prioritize it the way we do.
I wonder, now that Ian is gone, did the rest of the building or the rest of the facade at HWD fall down? I haven’t heard one peep about it…hmmmm…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom