Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

esskay

At this point I cannot see a scenario where Disney and Universal reopen on Friday, or the weekend, or the next week or weeks.
Very over the top. Disney & Uni are built to withstand way more than whats coming, and they'll have crew there to clean up the second its safe to do so. They'll be open within 24hrs of the storm passing. Several times they've just kept the parks closed till mid day the day after a hurricane and you find very little evidence it was ever even there.

fotofx

If I were a betting man, I'd say that the parks do not reopen on Friday, with only Disney Springs being available in a limited capacity. Obviously a ton of this depends on the path the storm takes, but ride out crews are very sparse this year in the parks, and they are the ones responsible for clean up/setting up for operation (once conditions become safe to do so) while most cast can't make it onto property due to road conditions.

Time will tell.
I think if history repeats they will get everything except the fort back up fairly quickly.

ToTBellHop

They won’t be out in 50-90mph wind today
That kind of wind is only predicted tonight for several hours.

1664376328001.png

Lilofan

Very over the top. Disney & Uni are built to withstand way more than whats coming, and they'll have crew there to clean up the second its safe to do so. They'll be open within 24hrs of the storm passing. Several times they've just kept the parks closed till mid day the day after a hurricane and you find very little evidence it was ever even there.
The expected tremendous rainfall and flooding that may occur will have the last word.

Brian

I think if history repeats they will get everything except the fort back up fairly quickly.
Historically, there has been sufficient interest in riding out the storm at the parks. This time around, that is not the case. The ride out crews are critical to getting the parks reopened promptly.

We'll see!

mightynine

It’s not below sea level like NOLA so some need to stop pretending it is.
If they get a lot of rain at once and have some serious flooding, how high they are above sea level won't matter.

I'm not saying they'll be closed forever (the poster who said weeks or months is overdoing it, IMO), but considering how easy spots of WDW can flood from just a thunderstorm passing over, concern over flood damage in the parks isn't crazy.

Also, whether WDW handles the flood waters well is one thing. Potential flooding/damage where cast members live could limit employee attendance or their ability to even get to work.

I also think some posters here are minimizing wind impacts - "well, the worst will only be for a couple of hours" - tropical storm force winds for six hours will cause problems, especially if grounds are inundated with rain. That's how you get downed trees and, if they are not underground, downed power lines.

Lilofan

Historically, there has been sufficient interest in riding out the storm at the parks. This time around, that is not the case. The ride out crews are critical to getting the parks reopened promptly.

We'll see!
It is one thing to clean up outside debris. It is another thing to possibly encounter flooded interior spaces. That can’t be that the case to open the parks quickly.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If they get a lot of rain at once and have some serious flooding, how high they are above sea level won't matter.

I'm not saying they'll be closed forever (the poster who said weeks or months is overdoing it, IMO), but considering how easy spots of WDW can flood from just a thunderstorm passing over, concern over flood damage in the parks isn't crazy.

Also, whether WDW handles the flood waters well is one thing. Potential flooding/damage where cast members live could limit employee attendance or their ability to even get to work.
Storm surge is the biggest threat...which doesn't exist for Orlando...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom