Chapek's comments - he doesn't want anyone on this board at WDW any more

I (and I think most people) have no problem with Disney charging a premium for an express/Fastpass system... if it wasn't taking so much capacity away from regular guests.

Perfectly fine with Universal (and every other theme park) charging $150+ a day for Express when significant capacity isn't being taken away from regular standby lines... but the lightning lane to standby ratios are absolutely horrendous.
So you'd be happier if they charged you more?

Chi84

Premium Member
There are more than enough people willing to purchase a premium $150+ option. It would obviously be dynamic per each park, but its definitely workable.
I don't agree. In any event, WDW is aware of the option to charge $150+ for an express pass. They haven't done it.

If a family wants to avoid paying for express pass at Universal, they can stay at a deluxe resort; that won't work at WDW.

Lilofan

There aren't enough rides at any of the WDW parks that would justify charging $150 a day. Many of the guests at Universal who are using Express Pass are not paying $150 a day.
Cancel the $40 parks parking fee and the $150 possible ticket price may get more in the parks?

Andrew25

So you'd be happier if they charged you more?
Yes, because that will result in a much fairer standby-to-express ratio where the line is continuously moving.

I don't intend on buying it myself since I'm local, but I sure would appreciate the wait times being reduced overall on average.

Chi84

Premium Member
Yes, because that will result in a much fairer standby-to-express ratio where the line is continuously moving.

I don't intend on buying it myself since I'm local, but I sure would appreciate the wait times being reduced overall on average.
Your plan only works if enough people are willing to spend $150 per person per day for a handful of rides at, say, Animal Kingdom. I can tell you that we spend money pretty freely at WDW when we take the family - dessert parties, Polar Patios, tours, etc. There's no way we would pay what would amount to $1000 a day given WDW's ride capacity; nor would we stand in line.

I agree that if Disney could get enough people to spend that kind of money so I could get on the rides without much wait, I would love it. They know about the $150 option; they're not going to do it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I (and I think most people) have no problem with Disney charging a premium for an express/Fastpass system... if it wasn't taking so much capacity away from regular guests.

Perfectly fine with Universal (and every other theme park) charging $150+ a day for Express when significant capacity isn't being taken away from regular standby lines... but the lightning lane to standby ratios are absolutely horrendous.
They don’t have the raw attraction capacity to have it both ways.

That’s why it’s coming to a head. You can ‘t use what you need and don’t have.

…this has been coming…for along time. The signs were there.

Last edited:

HM Spectre

Some people miss the things that were cut more than others. The question is whether those cuts affect you to the point that you'll no longer visit.

On balance, WDW is moving away from the all-inclusive feel that made it so much fun for us. We've already decided to take the family elsewhere for next year's vacation and are adopting a wait-and-see attitude after that. People absolutely do consider value when planning vacations and they do vote with their wallets. They just may not be voting the way others think they should. It happens.

It's death by 1,000 cuts / what point you notice the cumulative change.

When you're talking about a very basic Disney vacation for a family of four - flights, moderate resort, dinner and a couple breakfasts on property, tickets and merch, the cost is creeping towards $10K. When you're talking a top notch experience that feels like an all-inclusive as you put it, you can probably justify it.

The issue is when that experience is gradually watered down... when you're hauling your butt from the airport in an Uber... when the offerings at dinner and quality aren't what you remember... when the frills are stripped away and your resort feels more and more like a normal hotel... when show quality slips in the parks...

At some point, you realize that you're dropping a TON of money on an experience that isn't nearly as magical as you remember and realize that your money could be better spent elsewhere. Their goal is to chase enough people away via this method and make up for it in price increases/cost savings until demand meets supply... but what happens when it waters down the product down to such a level that more people reconsider their spending than they want?

The longer they play this game, the more dangerous it gets.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's death by 1,000 cuts / what point you notice the cumulative change.

When you're talking about a very basic Disney vacation for a family of four - flights, moderate resort, dinner and a couple breakfasts on property, tickets and merch, the cost is creeping towards $10K. When you're talking a top notch experience that feels like an all-inclusive as you put it, you can probably justify it.

The issue is when that experience is gradually watered down... when you're hauling your butt from the airport in an Uber... when the offerings at dinner and quality aren't what you remember... when the frills are stripped away and your resort feels more and more like a normal hotel... when show quality slips in the parks...

At some point, you realize that you're dropping a TON of money on an experience that isn't nearly as magical as you remember and realize that your money could be better spent elsewhere. Their goal is to chase enough people away via this method and make up for it in price increases/cost savings until demand meets supply... but what happens when it waters down the product down to such a level that more people reconsider their spending than they want?

The longer they play this game, the more dangerous it gets.
Well that’s about the best post I’ve seen in like forever (out of millions over the years)

…come to the “playground” and hang out more often, please?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Your plan only works if enough people are willing to spend $150 per person per day for a handful of rides at, say, Animal Kingdom. I can tell you that we spend money pretty freely at WDW when we take the family - dessert parties, Polar Patios, tours, etc. There's no way we would pay what would amount to $1000 a day given WDW's ride capacity; nor would we stand in line.

I agree that if Disney could get enough people to spend that kind of money so I could get on the rides without much wait, I would love it. They know about the $150 option; they're not going to do it.
The price point would be a balancing act. To cheap and a lot of people will get it, thus increasing the express line length and making it not actually worth it. To high and people won't buy it.

The current system is probably more profitable for them since due to the complexity of the system a lot of people aren't getting their money's worth out of it.

TQQQ

Original Poster
The price point would be a balancing act. To cheap and a lot of people will get it, thus increasing the express line length and making it not actually worth it. To high and people won't buy it.

The current system is probably more profitable for them since due to the complexity of the system a lot of people aren't getting their money's worth out of it.
Price it higher and limit sales. Solves both problems.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are more than enough people willing to purchase a premium $150+ option. It would obviously be dynamic per each park, but its definitely workable.
It is not

If it was…it would exist.

You’d have more demand than supply…and shouting matches would ensue to those not getting it every day.

MickeyLuv'r

We noticed smaller food portions at Tangierine Cafe and Flame Tree (pre-COVID) and Satuli (during COVID), but not really anywhere else. The only reason we noticed is that the portions used to be so large that my husband and I split one entree for lunch.
We noticed smaller portions at Docking Bay 7 a few weeks ago.

Some changes would be hard to notice, as menus have changed.

One we noticed was Contempo Cafe used to have multiple flatbread options, now they only offer one flatbread. It comes with bacon, sausage and pepperoni. If ordered in-person, you can request they leave off the meat, but that is the only option, and it is the same price. It is $12.

They used to offer: cheese for $10.30, and 2-3 other options: bacon/sausage/pepperoni $11.50, pulled pork $11.50, and another one with marinated beef +carmelized onion +goat cheese (plus an earlier option with Spinach +chicken + artichoke hearts.)

Many children will only eat cheese pizza, so this = a subtle kind of price increase.

Chi84

Premium Member
We noticed smaller portions at Docking Bay 7 a few weeks ago.

Some changes would be hard to notice, as menus have changed.

One we noticed was Contempo Cafe used to have multiple flatbread options, now they only offer one flatbread. It comes with bacon, sausage and pepperoni. If ordered in-person, you can request they leave off the meat, but that is the only option, and it is the same price. It is $12.

They used to offer: cheese for $10.30, and 2-3 other options: bacon/sausage/pepperoni $11.50, pulled pork $11.50, and another one with marinated beef +carmelized onion +goat cheese (plus an earlier option with Spinach +chicken + artichoke hearts.)

Many children will only eat cheese pizza, so this = a subtle kind of price increase.
I know not everyone agrees, but I believe the limited menus and reduced options are in large part still due to labor and product supply shortages. We still have similar things going on with restaurants where I live. It's easier to deal with prix fixe menus, family style, limited number of items, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom