News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Rickcat96

Really doesn't matter where anything is "said" to be located at- Never gonna be built. But I'll digress, it won't be opened until 2045.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Gotta cash in on the Breath of the Wild bucks before Universal. 🤷‍♂️
They also appear to have ripped off Mario Galaxy's Lumas for their new Wish movie.

1663075824569.png

1663075850338.png

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Not at all. All of the open spaces should be filled with quality rides. I just don't think AE/SGE were quality rides.
thats fair & i dont think anyone felt they were but again something is better than nothing & as we all talked about the parks need rides like this that will not increase demand but will draw people to experience the ride/attraction alleviating some of the pain elsewhere

celluloid

I think the proposal being kicked around is to make this a new land adjacent to Frontierland, not part of Frontierland.

That is even more confusing, as the lands of MK were always Americana and the good and bad romanticized, such as colonization, the wild frontier, tales of the old locals people moved from in Fantasyland, the American dream of tomorrow's science fiction take on the future. Fantasyland is the only place these properties make sense with MK's concept.

The same way Moana and Zootopia can just be announced to AK without any connection needed. The parks are just homogenized with outside intellectual properties with little attempt to make them fit.

DCLcruiser

thats fair & i dont think anyone felt they were but again something is better than nothing & as we all talked about the parks need rides like this that will not increase demand but will draw people to experience the ride/attraction alleviating some of the pain elsewhere
Agreed. I just never enjoyed AE/SGE or even Laugh Floor. They didn't match Tomorrowland for me.

celluloid

Yeah, this is the sort of thing that they should just be doing without a lot of fanfare.

Exactly. Universal just updated Revenge of The Mummy with a most of the year closed refurb for pyro cost effective updates and other operational updates for upkeep. While they did, they updated projections and even did some new animation and lighting effects. The gift shop arguably plussed as well. Nothing was bragged about on any level close.

DCLcruiser

And all of Mexico is the same too... honestly the defending is irking me. In no way are Coco and Encanto related. Just know this is something Hispanics and Latinos tire of all the freaking time.
I dunno, my PR buddy was very excited when "We don't talk about Bruno" beat "Let it go," and is very happy for his young daughter to have Coco and Encanto to watch. I think representation is important to families.

jaxonp

Can we keep a mini dinoland with the boneyard and dinosaurs intact while demoing the rest of Chester and Hester to become whichever of the mediocre concepts they showed us? Thanks.

Door Coaster

That is even more confusing, as the lands of MK were always Americana and the good and bad romanticized, such as colonization, the wild frontier, tales of the old locals people moved from in Fantasyland, the American dream of tomorrow's science fiction take on the future. Fantasyland is the only place these properties make sense with MK's concept.

The same way Moana and Zootopia can just be announced to AK without any connection needed. The parks are just homogenized with outside intellectual properties with little attempt to make them fit.
Actually I think ToTBellhop stated this wouldn't be a new land, but rather Fantasyland continuing to BTMR.

DCLcruiser

Can we keep a mini dinoland with the boneyard and dinosaurs intact while demoing the rest of Chester and Hester to become whichever of the mediocre concepts they showed us? Thanks.
Nope.

Boneyard/Dinoland/Chester & Hester = Moana (probably group in Nemo to make it Oceania)
DINOSAUR = Zootopia

correcaminos

I dunno, my PR buddy was very excited when "We don't talk about Bruno" beat "Let it go," and is very happy for his young daughter to have Coco and Encanto to watch. I think representation is important to families.
My house is full of Latino and Hispanic (in my case mixed) folks. My husband and child are Puerto Rican.

Encanto was written by a Puerto Rican in case you were unaware.

The rest of this? While I am happy to see Latinos take center stage and be represented, Coco has nothing for is in terms of relatability really. The music style and the way Dia De Los Muertos is celebrated is vastly different than home. Encanto has good music and again happy to see Latino representation - especially showing diversity within (mix of skin tones and hair and such). We have no connection to Colombia otherwise. Having Lin Manuel Miranda write is always good in my books though.

Absolutely zero of this has to do with what I was talking about. I don't hate on either at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteamboatJoe

Actually I think ToTBellhop stated this wouldn't be a new land, but rather Fantasyland continuing to BTMR.
The stories are definitely fantasy so that makes sense. I still maintain that there are just enough geographic/climatic similarities between Big Thunder and Coco/Mexico to make the visual and thematic transition work. The same can be said of the relationship and transition between Coco/Mexico and Encanto/Colombia. Its really no different than how Frontierland progresses through time and American sub cultures as you walk from Haunted Mansion (colonial New England) to Big Thunder (turn of the century American Southwest). Or how Caribbean Plaza transitions into Frontierland.

DCLcruiser

My house is full of Latino and Hispanic (in my case mixed) folks.

The rest of this? While I am happy to see Latinos take center stage and be represented, Coco has nothing for is in terms of relatability really. The music style and the way Dia De Los Muertos is celebrated is vastly different than home. Encanto has good music and again happy to see Latino representation - especially showing diversity within (mix of skin tones and hair and such). We have no connection to Colombia otherwise. Having Lin Manuel Miranda write is always good in my books though.

Absolutely zero of this has to do with what I was talking about. I don't hate on either at all. But lump summing together like this is insensitive and ignorant at best.
My household is not, so I can only share what I've been told.

I will say, as an Italian-American, I appreciated Luca and really liked how they included sprinkled in Italian language here and there. Now, I am more specifically descended from Sicilians, which has a different history than the peninsula, and even its own dialect/language (which predates classic Italian spoken as the official language), so I appreciate that there are nuances to cultures.

correcaminos

My household is not, so I can only share what I've been told.

I will say, as an Italian-American, I appreciated Luca and really liked how they included sprinkled in Italian language here and there. Now, I am more specifically descended from Sicilians, which has a different history than the peninsula, and even its own dialect/language (which predates classic Italian spoken as the official language), so I appreciate that there are nuances to cultures.
I added on to say my husband and son are Puerto Rican. I forgot to say that before which is why it hit me poorly. Having people effectively gaslight you (but they're almost the same over and over when not) repeatedly and trying to make connections when it's insensitive at best is tiresome.

Hopefully you understand why. Cultures are vastly different. Regions from US SW are very different from central Meixco. We're talking like 700+ miles apart. It's like saying Chicago and NY are the same because they both serve pizza.

I just wish people would stop making a connection simply due to languages. If one ever heard a Mexican speak vs a Colombian you'd hear differences. My own Spanish is so vastly different than my husband's Puerto Rican version that we cannot even agree on how to speak in front of our kid.

SteamboatJoe

My house is full of Latino and Hispanic (in my case mixed) folks. My husband and child are Puerto Rican. So please do not need to 'splain to me about this because you know a guy.

Absolutely zero of this has to do with what I was talking about. I don't hate on either at all. But lump summing together like this is insensitive and ignorant at best.
I don't think anyone is advocating for lumping them together. My original premise may have come off that way but that wasn't my intent. I regret not having explained the concept better. We are merely saying that there is enough geographic and thematic commonality to warrant placing these areas in close proximity to one another so as to provide for a more gradual transition. From Big Thunder you travel south into Mexico and then on to Colombia at which point the magical elements become more prominent eventually giving way to Fantasyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom