News D23 Expo 2022

Magenta Panther

Well, a lot of people in Vloggerland, including major Walt fan Adam the Woo, seem to be universally bashing this D23. They're pretty much echoing the same complaints made here. Looks like the big overhyped overpriced schmoozefest was a bust.

Speaking of disappointments, I wonder how the Imagineers who are working on replacing Splash with Tiana's Salt Mines...I wonder how they really feel about it. I wonder how they feel about all the lavish detail and great storytelling, all the charm and multitudes of appealing animatronics, being ripped out and discarded because of weak leadership, poor taste, and knee-jerk bad judgement. It can't feel good, destroying all that artistry created by past Imagineers, only to replace it with something inspired by virtue-signalling. I wonder if any of them feel even the tiniest bit of guilt or regret. I wonder if any of them really believe that there was something wrong enough with the ride to warrant its destruction. I just wonder.

P.S. I am not going to get into a debate over this with anybody. I will not respond to anyone's reply to this post. If the mods want to remove it, that's fine with me.

Rteetz

I don’t think anyone things Universal is going to overtake Disney or anything. However any impact to market share is a “threat” this is the first major significant park in Orlando in decades. This also is bringing more hotel rooms to the area. Universal also has long term plans of a fourth park and another entertainment district. All very significant. Disney may not be concerned now but that also happened with Potter. Potter impacted them. This will also impact them. There is no denying that. The degree it does is the question.

Even smaller parks are gearing up. Sea World is planning major additions over the next 5 years. They are banking on more people coming to the area.

Captain Neo

Wow, still thinking about this event. I feel like they were so very unprepared for this event (why?) and had nothing to comment on because they truly do not have a lot of active projects besides Tron, Splash (I guess), and Moana. Most other projects seem dead. A few random thoughts:

1. The lack of Splash details absolutely confirms they have no clue what they are doing. I wonder if they were thinking of including Dr. Facilier and the voodoo elements and then a focus group or some internal data told them it was a dangerous road to pursue, so in an effort to be squeaky clean and offend no one they are caught with no story to tell and no clue how to move forward. Missing ingredients. Big yawn. But they sang TWO songs and literally told us nothing. Weird...

2. Figment- This still hurts. They have to know that the current ride is poorly received, and yet they do nothing to fix it. They bring him out for merchandise, but that's it. Even the way the announcement yesterday was structured made it seem like they were announcing a ride reno and then they stuck us with a meet and greet character/experience. This is intentional. I feel so disrespected as a fan.

3. Moana and Zootopia in AK: This was weird. If this is coming, then just announce it. Make it a firm announcement. I don't see how Moana really fits in AK, but it is such a great IP, and maybe they can make it work. Love the idea of a a log flume/water ride coming to AK. Zootopia. This one is difficult. I understand how many say it doesn't fit, but, hear me out, for the AVERAGE Disney guest, it fits perfectly. Animal Kingdom- a movie about animals. It's that simple. (I understand they are stand-ins for humans and therefore it does not fit the true concept for AK, but many will ignore that). What's interesting to me is the panel talked for 5 minutes about how the rides must fit the themes of the park, and then announced Moana and Zootopia.

4. Beyond Big Thunder- This seems too early to announce. I don't believe any of this is coming soon, or it will change drastically before it does. The take away- glad they are looking at this plot of land.

5. Epic Impact- Are most of us upset that DIS is doing so little because of the looming prospect of Epic Universe? I mean, for other D23 events there is no way they announced something huge every year. Like what did they have to talk about at the D23 events in the 90s? Maybe 1 big project? Is Disney justified to rest after the last few years (Disney Springs Renovation, Star Wars Land, NFL, Toy Story Land, Gondola project, Mickey's Railway, The new EPCOT projects, Rat, Guardians, Tron, new night shows, etc). Have we just been spoiled the last few years in thinking they should ALWAYS be announcing something huge? Just playing devil's advocate...

Thanks for listening to my random thoughts. =)

Figment blows me away because the figment graphic novel sold gangbusters and then the figment popcorn bucket did HUGE business. I thought chapek was a merchandise guy? How can he not get a clue?

EeyoreFan#24

One of the rumors around the classic monsters land at EU is that it will be a year-round haunted attraction similar to the scare zones at HHN with monsters roaming around the land to scare you.
I didn’t think about this until I read your post, but I wonder if the future of HHN is epic universe. If they are thinking about HHN design criteria and infrastructure during the creation of a new park, I would think the possibilities would be endless.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Speaking of Past D23 Expo's:
Is there a breakdown for each year with all the announcements made?
Has anybody done this? @danlb_2000 @MisterPenguin
For WDW parks: Basically nothing new except confirming the sunset of DE for an updated HEA and Harmonious for a 100 Anniversary show, most likely in April when the 50th ends. Also, a new Figment M&G. Timeframe for the EPCOT hub is late 2023. And TRON's opening will be held back until Spring 2023.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
For WDW parks: Basically nothing new except confirming the sunset of DE for an updated HEA and Harmonious for a 100 Anniversary show, most likely in April when the 50th ends. Also, a new Figment M&G. Timeframe for the EPCOT hub is late 2023. And TRON's opening will be held back until Spring 2023.
What about the breakdown for previous years D23 Expo's? Have you ever created a master breakdown of all the announcements from each D23 Expo (like from 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013...)?

I'm just curious to see if there were years when announcements were lighter and when?
And if/when announcements there started getting bigger.

May we have some fun? Can we start unfounded rumors? :)
1) The ignoring of WDW was due to the DeSantis /Disney War?
2) The WDW diss was due to a Bob Chapek power play to show who is the boss?
3) These were the First Shots of the Last Stand of the Reedy Creek War?

On second thought, never mind. As the Panels this weekend showed...humor is very subjective. ;)

wutisgood

I don’t think anyone things Universal is going to overtake Disney or anything. However any impact to market share is a “threat” this is the first major significant park in Orlando in decades. This also is bringing more hotel rooms to the area. Universal also has long term plans of a fourth park and another entertainment district. All very significant. Disney may not be concerned now but that also happened with Potter. Potter impacted them. This will also impact them. There is no denying that. The degree it does is the question.

Even smaller parks are gearing up. Sea World is planning major additions over the next 5 years. They are banking on more people coming to the area.
Sea world has some great deals for multi park tickets but the gate and even 1 park pricing is insane mostly because they are taking advantage of Disney and Universal pricing. If I am Sea World I am adding a 25-50 million ride every year for the next decade and raking in the money from a market starved for more affordability and competitors in Disney that cant build rides for a budget anymore or universal that while they will get better value, is going to bring tons of additional guests due to location and people splitting vacations.

Smiley/OCD

Well, a lot of people in Vloggerland, including major Walt fan Adam the Woo, seem to be universally bashing this D23. They're pretty much echoing the same complaints made here. Looks like the big overhyped overpriced schmoozefest was a bust.

Speaking of disappointments, I wonder how the Imagineers who are working on replacing Splash with Tiana's Salt Mines...I wonder how they really feel about it. I wonder how they feel about all the lavish detail and great storytelling, all the charm and multitudes of appealing animatronics, being ripped out and discarded because of weak leadership, poor taste, and knee-jerk bad judgement. It can't feel good, destroying all that artistry created by past Imagineers, only to replace it with something inspired by virtue-signalling. I wonder if any of them feel even the tiniest bit of guilt or regret. I wonder if any of them really believe that there was something wrong enough with the ride to warrant its destruction. I just wonder.

P.S. I am not going to get into a debate over this with anybody. I will not respond to anyone's reply to this post. If the mods want to remove it, that's fine with me.
Thats why is said Tony B. will be there for the ribbon cutting and say BUH-Bye…

TalkingHead

Sea world has some great deals for multi park tickets but the gate and even 1 park pricing is insane mostly because they are taking advantage of Disney and Universal pricing.
Not true for Florida resident prices. One day is around $90, but the AP prices are much, much less than WDW or Universal. Just checked, and it’s $130 for an AP that expires at the end of 2023, with limited blockout dates.

Vegas Disney Fan

That's why we're talking about the MK expansion. That would in turn increase capacity.
But that’s my point, eventually you can’t increase capacity anymore, to substantially expand MK beyond current capacity they’d have to tear down Main Street and make it larger because thats the pinch point, they could add dozens of rides in the back of the park but Main Street and the size of the walkways would still limit capacity to essentially what it is today.

This is why I’m such a proponent of a third castle park in a new state, Disneyland and MK are at max capacity, they’ve done everything they can to widen walkways, eliminate curbs, create bypasses, reduce planter sizes… there‘s simply no more room to expand the walkways. The only other real option is add a second entrance/exit so they can bypass the pinch point, which is kind of what they’ve proposed with Disneyland forward (or whatever it’s called). It would be much harder logistically to do that at MK though.

wutisgood

Not true for Florida resident prices. One day is around $90, but the AP prices are much, much less than WDW or Universal. Just checked, and it’s $130 for an AP that expires at the end of 2023, with limited blockout dates.
I think the 1 day non Florida pricing was around 118 before tax. Of course ap prices are less for locals. The two park at universal is not much more for the cheapest pass x2 and the Disney cheap pass for residents is one of the best local deals in Florida. The locals get better deals.

Jrb1979

But that’s my point, eventually you can’t increase capacity anymore, to substantially expand MK beyond current capacity they’d have to tear down Main Street and make it larger because thats the pinch point, they could add dozens of rides in the back of the park but Main Street and the size of the walkways would still limit capacity to essentially what it is today.

This is why I’m such a proponent of a third castle park in a new state, Disneyland and MK are at max capacity, they’ve done everything they can to widen walkways, eliminate curbs, create bypasses, reduce planter sizes… there‘s simply no more room to expand the walkways. The only other real option is add a second entrance/exit so they can bypass the pinch point, which is kind of what they’ve proposed with Disneyland forward (or whatever it’s called). It would be much harder logistically to do that at MK though.
They don't need another castle park. They need to make the other 3 parks better to get people to visit them.

bcoachable

I think we are seeing the results of:

A. Upper mgmt not wanting to spend money

B. MANY key Imagineers being let go/ laid off/ leaving for greener pastures during the Covid stretch

C. Younger Imagineers scared for their future to speak out/up

This is why we can’t / won’t get nice things for the foreseeable future.

And let me add-
to not figure out a way to get the stinking train (Fantasmic, Stich Replacement, Play Pavilion or whatever that ends up being) up and steaming again (& announce it at a fan event) is an absolute middle finger to any true park fan- imo of course…

Current Imagineers- no offense meant… I know you are doing all you feel you can, under the current situation.

wutisgood

I think we are seeing the results of:

A. Upper mgmt not wanting to spend money

B. MANY key Imagineers being let go/ laid off/ leaving for greener pastures during the Covid stretch

C. Younger Imagineers scared for their future to speak out/up

This is why we can’t / won’t get nice things for the foreseeable future.

And let me add-
to not figure out a way to get the stinking train (Fantasmic, Stich Replacement, Play Pavilion or whatever that ends up being) up and steaming again (& announce it at a fan event) is an absolute middle finger to any true park fan- imo of course…

Current Imagineers- no offense meant… I know you are doing all you feel you can, under the current situation.
Why is Disney employing imaginers at a significant expense to not have authority to greenlight projects? I imagine if disney built the velocicoaster it would have cost an additional 50-100 million.

TalkingHead

I think the 1 day non Florida pricing was around 118 before tax. Of course ap prices are less for locals. The two park at universal is not much more for the cheapest pass x2 and the Disney cheap pass for residents is one of the best local deals in Florida. The locals get better deals.
The point is SeaWorld’s local deals are actual deals.

Universal’s cheapest seasonal Florida resident AP is $324, and doesn’t include $27/day parking. Disney’s cheapest Florida *weekday* AP is $399, with blockout days. The cheapest Disney Florida AP with weekends is $699.

None of those options is remotely close to SeaWorld’s resident $130 AP for 15 months or whatever. So in the realm of insane pricing, WDW and Uni remain in a league of their own.

Dan Deesnee

We won't get a fifth park but you are right about the other entrance. I firmly believe that part of the MK expansion will include a direct entrance resort similar to Grand Californian and possibly a public entrance as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom