Chapek's comments - he doesn't want anyone on this board at WDW any more

TQQQ

Original Poster
Chapek interview with the Hollywood reporter when talking about "Superfans".

"But at the same time, we’ve got to make sure that there’s room in the park for the family from Denver that comes once every five years. We didn’t have a reservation system and we didn’t control the number of annual passes we distributed and frankly, the annual pass as a value was so great that people were literally coming all the time and the accessibility of the park was unlimited to them and that family from Denver would get to the park and not be let in. That doesn’t seem like a real balanced proposition.”

This is why we do not go any more.......They dont want us there! These are the very people that brought the parks back to life after the Covid closures and now WDW is just saying "Thanks, but we don't need you any longer"

And then he had the balls to say if our plan doesn't work out, we will let you peasants back in.........

"We have a real high-class problem: We have much more demand than there is supply. What we will not bend on is giving somebody a less than stellar experience in the parks because we jammed too many people in there. If we’re going to have that foundational rule, you have to start balancing who you let in. … Our ticket prices and constraints we put on how often people can come and when they come is a direct reflection of demand. When is it too much? Demand will tell us when it’s too much.”

This is everything that is wrong with this current management team. Disgrace what it has become

JoeCamel

Chapek interview with the Hollywood reporter when talking about "Superfans".

"But at the same time, we’ve got to make sure that there’s room in the park for the family from Denver that comes once every five years. We didn’t have a reservation system and we didn’t control the number of annual passes we distributed and frankly, the annual pass as a value was so great that people were literally coming all the time and the accessibility of the park was unlimited to them and that family from Denver would get to the park and not be let in. That doesn’t seem like a real balanced proposition.”

This is why we do not go any more.......They dont want us there! These are the very people that brought the parks back to life after the Covid closures and now WDW is just saying "Thanks, but we don't need you any longer"

And then he had the balls to say if our plan doesn't work out, we will let you peasants back in.........

"We have a real high-class problem: We have much more demand than there is supply. What we will not bend on is giving somebody a less than stellar experience in the parks because we jammed too many people in there. If we’re going to have that foundational rule, you have to start balancing who you let in. … Our ticket prices and constraints we put on how often people can come and when they come is a direct reflection of demand. When is it too much? Demand will tell us when it’s too much.”

This is everything that is wrong with this current management team. Disgrace what it has become
Since covid? 9/11 would like a word

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Dude just doesn’t get it

Hey. Dr. Evil, there are different “baskets” of park customers…you have to fill them all. It always will be that way…it always has been.

The big stupidity of this is the timeshare blocks.

To the Sandersons coming out of their poly bungalows: “oh…unprecedented demand today…gonna be $305 for little Bobby and Susie and $78 for the lightning lane…”

Just doesn’t get his product…as Iger had no longterm sense of the IP

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Or, you know, expand supply.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Monopolies control supply to maximize profit. Disney believes it is a monopoly. But companies that think they are untouchable often find out too late how vulnerable they truly are. I guess time will tell.
1663005056755.jpeg

Or, you know, expand supply.
This is something about which I have wondered since Pandora was opened. Disney has a habit of letting entire areas of the park languish until guests basically avoid going there (i.e., Camp Minnie-Mickey, all of EPCOT including World Showcase if you're under 21, Hollywood Studios, etc.). It is only when they come to the conclusion they are leaving money on the table they "invest" in these areas again.

BUT...their solutions are whole new lands with one or two attractions, a restaurant or two, and maybe some stores after several years of construction for hundreds of millions of dollars or more. I have no complaint with the quality of the theming for these lands. They are always top notch.

Instead, my complaint is in the comparably limited number of things to do in these new lands when compared to what they replaced. And it always appears that Disney has blown their wad on the new lands without a thought toward expansion or how the reduced list of things to do affects the guest experience. They would have fewer capacity issues if they spent less more often because they'd always have 3/4 or full-day parks instead of half-day ones.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Dude just doesn’t get it

Hey. Dr. Evil, there are different “baskets” of park customers…you have to fill them all. It always will be that way…it always has been.

The big stupidity of this is the timeshare blocks.

To the Sandersons coming out of their poly bungalows: “oh…unprecedented demand today…gonna be $305 for little Bobby and Susie and $78 for the lightning lane…”

Just doesn’t get his product…as Iger had no longterm sense of the IP

I think he probably does, but doesn’t care. He’ll worry about the future, when it arrives.

TQQQ

Original Poster
Monopolies control supply to maximize profit. Disney believes it is a monopoly. But companies that think they are untouchable often find out too late how vulnerable they truly are. I guess time will tell.
I agree with this statement the most

I think it is going to bite them in the butt

What bother sme is that they do not even pretend to care about it. D'Amero's (and im paraphrasing) comments saying 'too bad, if you don't like it, we have plenty of others that do' when he said "result of our own success" and also Chapek with his "we want rich people" comments with his family from Denver

What a disgrace

TQQQ

Original Poster
My real question is, why do people continue to go? What is the incentive to stay on property now? It baffles my mind why people continue to pay these exorbitant prices while getting less of a product:

Here is a partial list of cuts and negative changes made just since Covid (I'm sure I am missing some, i saw this list on another site)
Magical Express
free Magic Bands
Live entertainment like GF Orchestra, street performers
Housekeeping
Extra Magic Hours
FP+ - Genie+ and not being able to pre book ride
shorter park hours
smaller food portions
increased ticket prices
higher crowds
waking up before 7am every day
having to be on my phone constantly
No dining plan
no Tables In Wonderland..............

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think he probably does, but doesn’t care. He’ll worry about the future, when it arrives.
Well that’s the “nuclear” option…and I’ve suggested this on other threads…

The worst case scenario is that he’s just trying to get through his current contract and get $250-400,000,000 in compensation and doesn’t care beyond that.

It’s what Roy E guarded against for 40 years.

orky8

What bother sme is that they do not even pretend to care about it. D'Amero's (and im paraphrasing) comments saying 'too bad, if you don't like it, we have plenty of others that do' when he said "result of our own success" and also Chapek with his "we want rich people" comments with his family from Denver

What a disgrace
Although, I have to say, I appreciate Chapek's honesty. I think it's because he's unpolished, not because he's particularly wise, but it's kinda refreshing.

But for at least 5, maybe 10 years, we've been discussing on this forum how Disney has a demand problem and they don't want to address it by investing in supply, instead choosing MyMagic+ to reallocate existing supply and increasingly exorbitant price increase to try to tamp down demand. As a (perceived?) monopoly, that is their choice to make. Chapek has no ego or pride in his product -- he doesn't care to be the best or biggest, he cares to be the most profitable. He is singularly focused and bluntly honest about it. Chapek is literally the sharp pencil that Walt warned against and hated.

We need to vote with our wallets, but it's hard, because while Disney is a shell of the experience it used to be and for a lot more money, I still enjoy it. But, I think Disney is enjoying some pent-up covid demand that is starting to run it's course and people aren't eager to return like they were. I know I am cutting back on the times I go there and the length of time I spend there and I don't think I'm alone.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
My real question is, why do people continue to go? What is the incentive to stay on property now? It baffles my mind why people continue to pay these exorbitant prices while getting less of a product:
Some of these are real, some of these are bullcrap, some of these are actually good, some of them are neither good nor bad, they're just different, and some of them are temporary COVID measures that aren't sticking around.

Magical Express... that's a cut, plain and simple, I'm with you.

Free MagicBands are a cut, I suppose, but when MagicBands were free, everyone complained "why can't we just do this on our phones?" Well now you can.

Live entertainment is a mix of temporary COVID cuts that haven't come back yet, temporary COVID cuts that have come back, and some actual cuts.

Housekeeping is a temporary COVID measure.

30 minutes of Early Entry in every park is actually an expansion of the resort benefit from 60 minutes in a single park.

Everyone bitched and moaned that they "had to" pre-book their rides with FastPass+, now they and moan that they can't.

Park hours are not shorter.

Portion sizes have not shrunk.

Crowds are not larger.

People were walking around on their phones all day long before Genie came out.

Everyone complained constantly about the dining plan, now they complain that it's gone, then they'll complain again when it comes back (because it's also a temporary COVID measure)

You need to show some critical thinking skills and realize that you lose credibility when you lump good points with silly points. Disney couldn't control COVID, they can't control runaway inflation, including for labor costs and food costs, Disney can't control customs and immigration, and Disney can't control the labor market.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

What a disgrace
He has to be treated like a disgrace…

And few of the wdw customers and far too few of the disneylanders don’t do it.

We gripe…I’m on that list…but will pay and show up.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I also would not conflate WDW and DL into the same bucket either. They are run by the same company, share the same organizational budget, and both have a mouse problem, but are very different beasts.

Just consider the metropolitan area populations for each 2.03 million for Orlando (4 parks, 2 water parks, and Disney Springs and 32 hotels) vs 12.9 million for the LA area( two smaller parks, Downtown Disney, and a few hotels). That's quite a difference in the scale of consumer supply and demand. DL = Locals, WDW=Destination

DVC exists to gobble up those excess hotel rooms and have someone else pay the maintenance on them. Still a timeshare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom