Are we just spoiled?

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
Anyone who watched my real-time meltdown in the D23 thread knows what I think about that turd of a presentation. That said, I'm trying to look on the bright side and talk myself off the ledge. Sure, it looks like we're in for a bit of a dry spell in terms of new attractions, but I think we might be under-appreciating the things we've gotten in the last few years.

Let's compare two decades.

2003 to 2012:

Major Attractions
- Soarin'
- Expedition Everest

Minor Attractions
- Under the Sea
- Enchanted Tales with Belle

2013 to 2022:

Major Attractions
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Flight of Passage
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Rise of the Resistance
- Cosmic Rewind

Minor Attractions
- Na'vi River Journey
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Smuggler's Run
- Ratatouille

On paper, we should be looking back and saying "wow, what a great Disney Decade this has been at Walt Disney World," yet it feels like everything sucks. Why?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Because they were trying to play catch up?

Because not all additions have been suitably located / worth the price?

Because they continue to ignore what’s broken and fix what’s not needed to be fixed?

Because prices are sky high and perceived value for money is falling?

Perhaps. IMHO.

dreday3

I'm just disgusted at the tactics of not opening rides that are ready (or can be) because of marketing reasons.

And the length of time...patience is not my strong suit but this Epcot BS is unexplainable. Another year and few months to finish an area that doesn't even include a ride, that they've already been working on for 2 years just baffles me.

I'm not even going to think about AK until we get the full story.

Jrb1979

Anyone who watched my real-time meltdown in the D23 thread knows what I think about that turd of a presentation. That said, I'm trying to look on the bright side and talk myself off the ledge. Sure, it looks like we're in for a bit of a dry spell in terms of new attractions, but I think we might be under-appreciating the things we've gotten in the last few years.

2003 to 2012:

Major Attractions
- Soarin'
- Expedition Everest

Minor Attractions
- Under the Sea

2013 to 2022:

Major Attractions
- Flight of Passage
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Rise of the Resistance
- Cosmic Rewind

Minor Attractions
- Na'vi River Journey
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Smuggler's Run
- Ratatouille

On paper, we should be looking back and saying "wow, what a great Disney Decade this has been at Walt Disney World," yet it feels like everything sucks. Why?
While the last decade may have had more additions, it's the lack of quality that's the issue. I'm good with the minor additions and thats what they should be focusing on.

Out of the major additions the last decade only Rise and FOP are on the same level as Soarin and Expedition Everest. Guardians, Mine Train and Slinky are steps below.

It's great they added all those things but that's in the past. The Florida desperately need more additions not new night time shows.

Patcheslee

2003 to 2012:

Major Attractions
- Soarin'
- Expedition Everest

Minor Attractions
- Under the Sea

2013 to 2022:

Major Attractions
- Flight of Passage
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Rise of the Resistance
- Cosmic Rewind

Minor Attractions
- Na'vi River Journey
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Smuggler's Run
- Ratatouille

Because they have been stretched between 4 parks and that increases demand at all of them? I don't know of many people that would skip parks on their vacation.

yensidtlaw1969

Because they were trying to play catch up?

Because not all additions have been suitably located / worth the price?

Because they continue to ignore what’s broken and fix what’s not needed to be fixed?

Because prices are sky high and perceived value for money is falling?

Perhaps. IMHO.
For real.

The picture becomes clearer when we realize the influx of cash in the last decade is a direct result of WDW only getting breadcrumbs for a long time before. They weren't suddenly showering us with gifts, they were bailing out water.

You don't get credit for finally throwing a banquet when guests have been paying to feast for years and you've been intentionally starving them.

castlecake2.0

I think the last decade (minus Covid) was the busiest I’ve ever seen the resort in terms of construction. Not just attractions, but also a lot of infrastructure like new roads, Skyliner, main entrance arrival experiences. I wasn’t expecting much, but disappointed with lack of updates on things like spaceship earth and reflections of china. What I really want right now is them to just finish reopening all the things still shuttered. Half the stores in Hollywood studios are still closed, restaurants still closed or linkages schedules. I’m starting to ramble, but I’m not looking for more giant e tickets, I just want what’s here to be acutely open and fleshed out.

ppete1975

2003 to 2012:

Major Attractions
- Soarin'
- Expedition Everest

Minor Attractions
- Under the Sea

2013 to 2022:

Major Attractions
- Flight of Passage
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Rise of the Resistance
- Cosmic Rewind

Minor Attractions
- Na'vi River Journey
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Smuggler's Run
- Ratatouille

Pro: you are missing a few such as frozen, Mickey and minnie even though they were already existing attraction buildings you could say the same about guardians.

Con:
they arent keeping up with universal
build times are horrible so we hear about something and by the time we get it, it already feels old because weve known about it for half a decade
they are playing catchup after not doing anything for a decade,
they have closed things or let things sit with no replacement leaving empty voids (stitch, the play pavillion half of epcot)
they keep closing attractions to give us a new attraction
it seems like we lose more attractions than we get additional attractions (example frozen, guardians, mickey and minnie- we already had an attraction, they close it for years and we get another attraction.. which doesnt increase the amount of attractions/rides)

I would combine your list and say.... look how little we got in the last 2 decades

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Im still on an emotional roller coaster about it. After experiencing what was a sub par extra ticket event last night im a bit perplexed right now.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I was but a wee lad, so can’t comment to that
Just one part of the simultaneous works back then:
A0903D2B-CC81-4985-9663-C37BD8189296.jpeg

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
No. It’s when they understood their product and built appropriate attractions in the correct location with realistic budgets. They understood what upkeep was and why it was important. It’s when WDW also offered value for money.

Quite a long time ago.
Getting close to 40 years now.

UNCgolf

2003 to 2012:

Major Attractions
- Soarin'
- Expedition Everest

Minor Attractions
- Under the Sea

2013 to 2022:

Major Attractions
- Flight of Passage
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Rise of the Resistance
- Cosmic Rewind

Minor Attractions
- Na'vi River Journey
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Smuggler's Run
- Ratatouille

For me, a big part of the problem is that most of what they built in the last decade is disappointing or underwhelming in some way. I think TSL is a complete waste of space, and while Galaxy's Edge is solid overall, MFSR is a terrible D ticket. Cosmic Rewind is fine, but not special and in the wrong park.

Pandora is the only addition that I think is a complete win.

They definitely spent a lot more money; they just didn't spend it especially well. Rise is the only one that has an argument to be the best attraction in its park (not sure if it beats Tower of Terror) today for me, much less in the parks' overall history.

Last edited:

Nottamus

The Last D23 seems chock full of good stuff for us - then came pandemic

Not only did it pause and cancel a LOT of that, but took away things that were better that what we have now

Looking at you Genie+

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I view it in a different way. Announcements and new attractions are great. But for me it's about the direction the parks are going in.

Sure, we got SWGE and Skyliner and bunch of others. Great!

But we also got hit multiple times with price increases, parking fees, deteriorating state of attractions due to shortcuts taken during refurbs, diminished value/quality from F&B options, and a general sense that Disney doesn't really care about "exceeding expectations" anymore. They seem satisfied with doing just the minimum to offer the product without risking too much blowback from the pixie dusters.

This decade is going to be known as the era where Disney priced out a lot of brand loyal guests. And that's sad.

Rickcat96

Dont think so Cap- for the price they want us to pay, the how "great" Genie+ and other cash grabs they boast is "fixing" the guest experience deserves some push back to keep them grounded. Let's wait a couple more months when it finally works and they have empty parks. Because of the economy.

J4546

I think its a bit of both. I like what the last 2 decades has bought in CA. Cars Land, AC and GE. And seeing a massively refreshed TT with MMRR on the horizon as well as TBA and ACphase2 E-ticket being announced at this D23 Im pretty happy with CA announcements (assuming they actually happen) Also Im into the SanFransokyo reskin of the wharf. So yeah, Im pretty happy with whats happening but am def looking forward to more.

As for the other parks...
Florida should be getting more but as of now it is what it is. I wish they would really do that Frontierland connector pathway/expansion that goes around the RoA. But for now some blue sky stuff....not a fan of blue sky stuff unless it gets built. Tron opening in spring, Epcot center/JoW opening in spring....kinda weak honestly. Figment MnG is neat but a year away. I dunno, if I was a FL resident Id probably feel less enthusiastic about this D23. But hey, at least yall got some cool stuff like waterparks and skyliners, as well as all the other parks in the area.
Japan is killing it
Shanghai has Zootopia that looks amazing, HK has Frozen land which looks amazing, when those projects are finished hopefully they will have more to announce but honestly ill prob never go to the China Parks. not for political reasons, but cause theres only 1 park per resort, if they added another park to each, id probably be more inclined to go.
Paris....So much to be done at that resort, but at least they are starting to get studios paris a decent layout. But studios paris still needs much more before its not the worst Disney Park, and combined with DLP, the park thwat while beautiful and a solid castle park, it also hasnt gotten anything major in like 20 years, Paris parks are kinda....meh

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom