News D23 Expo 2022

Brummyboy92

It seems likely that’s exactly what they are doing with Moana, no? I mean it’s right next to Nemo and it was indicated in the past there are plans to detach Dinorama from the rest of Dinoland USA to make it a separate land. If the Liana thing happens I’d be surprised if it’s not as a “Oceana” type land.

Edit: that’s one of the reasons I’m fairly accepting of the Moana change were it to happen. It actually strengthens the continental divisions of DAK. that leaves the nice large area north of Asia to be perfect for South America. Would also be great if they could add some Australian or Pacific Island animals to the area around Moana too. Even just 2 or 3 for atmosphere and some nominal learning.
Potentially, however it all seems very vague at the moment. And with the direction Disney is moving in, I don't foresee them creating a land based on Oz, or another real life geographic location, with the IP's within, rather the land itself will be based on the IP such as Star Wars, Frozen, Toy Story, etc. It just does not make that much sense taking the park in that direction, but I appreciate this has been something people have discussed for several years now.

I find it super frustrating because it seems obvious to me. IP the s**t out of the parks to your hearts content, but make it make sense. And what we have seen here, be it Zootopia, Coco, Encanto, just does not sit right with me. Not to say I don't want to see these IP's in the parks, I do, however ensure it upholds the integrity of the parks.

I hope people don't think I am trolling or being overly negative, I'm just really concerned about the future of Disney parks, & ultimately want the best for them. The only positive takeaway for me as Brit, is the current company are keeping their hands off Disneyland Paris park for the time being. Despite the park being desperate for new attractions, the current company cannot be trusted to deliver, and match the quality of the existing park.

Indy_UK

Also, in their pursuit to cram in as much IP, they are essentially splitting a land like Pandora over 2 IPs and giving only one attraction for IP.

I would be more on board with Moana, if they weren’t already putting it into Epcot.

With Zootopia, are cartoon dinosaurs in Dinoland much better than cartoon animals from Zootopia? I do think the park needs more kiddy-esc rides

Fox&Hound

Wow, still thinking about this event. I feel like they were so very unprepared for this event (why?) and had nothing to comment on because they truly do not have a lot of active projects besides Tron, Splash (I guess), and Moana. Most other projects seem dead. A few random thoughts:

1. The lack of Splash details absolutely confirms they have no clue what they are doing. I wonder if they were thinking of including Dr. Facilier and the voodoo elements and then a focus group or some internal data told them it was a dangerous road to pursue, so in an effort to be squeaky clean and offend no one they are caught with no story to tell and no clue how to move forward. Missing ingredients. Big yawn. But they sang TWO songs and literally told us nothing. Weird...

2. Figment- This still hurts. They have to know that the current ride is poorly received, and yet they do nothing to fix it. They bring him out for merchandise, but that's it. Even the way the announcement yesterday was structured made it seem like they were announcing a ride reno and then they stuck us with a meet and greet character/experience. This is intentional. I feel so disrespected as a fan.

3. Moana and Zootopia in AK: This was weird. If this is coming, then just announce it. Make it a firm announcement. I don't see how Moana really fits in AK, but it is such a great IP, and maybe they can make it work. Love the idea of a a log flume/water ride coming to AK. Zootopia. This one is difficult. I understand how many say it doesn't fit, but, hear me out, for the AVERAGE Disney guest, it fits perfectly. Animal Kingdom- a movie about animals. It's that simple. (I understand they are stand-ins for humans and therefore it does not fit the true concept for AK, but many will ignore that). What's interesting to me is the panel talked for 5 minutes about how the rides must fit the themes of the park, and then announced Moana and Zootopia.

4. Beyond Big Thunder- This seems too early to announce. I don't believe any of this is coming soon, or it will change drastically before it does. The take away- glad they are looking at this plot of land.

5. Epic Impact- Are most of us upset that DIS is doing so little because of the looming prospect of Epic Universe? I mean, for other D23 events there is no way they announced something huge every year. Like what did they have to talk about at the D23 events in the 90s? Maybe 1 big project? Is Disney justified to rest after the last few years (Disney Springs Renovation, Star Wars Land, NFL, Toy Story Land, Gondola project, Mickey's Railway, The new EPCOT projects, Rat, Guardians, Tron, new night shows, etc). Have we just been spoiled the last few years in thinking they should ALWAYS be announcing something huge? Just playing devil's advocate...

Thanks for listening to my random thoughts. =)

Dan Deesnee

Zootopia is a fantastic fit for AK and the people on stage understand why. They said it.

"We can take you through different biomes." - The amount of education they can do on animal environments, how they live there and survive, the differences and how it affected the animals development. Their is huge room for education based entertainment. Almost like highly themed zoo style attractions. Fake snow in tundra town, an "ice" wall to feel just how cold it can get, etc.

Stevie Amsterdam

Zootopia is a fantastic fit for AK and the people on stage understand why. They said it.

"We can take you through different biomes." - The amount of education they can do on animal environments, how they live there and survive, the differences and how it affected the animals development. Their is huge room for education based entertainment. Almost like highly themed zoo style attractions. Fake snow in tundra town, an "ice" wall to feel just how cold it can get, etc.
Ahh bless you 🥰

wutisgood

A lot of people on social media seem to be in denial that there is no answer to epic universe. I could believe that Josh is pushing for more expansion vs Chapek and the board.

Dan Deesnee

A lot of people on social media seem to be in denial that there is no answer to epic universe. I could believe that Josh is pushing for more expansion vs Chapek and the board.

They literally gave us their answers at the end.

The problem is the answers will be opening 1-3 years after Epic Universe because Disney can't seem to build anything in less than double the normal required time.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I know this is a bit oversimplified, but what was announced for WDW was mostly concept and blue sky - In other words, Bob & Josh don't have the foggiest idea of what they are doing in Orlando (nothing oversimplified about that, though). This smells like a lot of desperation to show something to get people buzzing and keep the Florida gravy train a'rollin'.

This is why I don't get any hopes up for this management regime. I set the bar on the floor and they still somehow managed to trip on it.

LSLS

So, another option. Could it be possible there are some arguing factions going on right now, and this was a group jumping out in front? Maybe there is a group looking for some new major expansions to WDW (maybe in response to Epic Universe, maybe not), and another group against it, and this was a way to put it out into the universe and pressure those trying to push back against major expansions?

Been a long time lurker, yet being in the State where God's hand left the earth when He formed it... (hint--see User Name :)) I very rarely add to this board as I am a long way from the Parks. However, as a VP of Marketing in the midwest; I am of the opinion they were not unprepared. A Corporate VP does not go into something like this, even with your most ardent fans, unprepared. This was strategic and there are are very simple reasons behind it. Note---I am not saying I concur with any of it. Long term it should be a horrible strategy. Yet Disney seems immune. People, including me, have been saying the day of reckoning will come for years-- and it still hasn't. Yet the reasoning is easy, as the Brits say, to suss out why the panel looked as it did, including the HORRIBLE "blue sky" at the end..
1) PROFIT IS KING! In the Disney of Today-- Push all your chips to the middle in search of cash; "find" the highest price your audience will tolerate; deliberately cut spending on the all but "premium" initiatives; (DCL); Cheapen the experience for those segments of the company that will provide the biggest amounts of profit so that Disney can fund it's "strategic initiatives" (D+, technology, etc)---- The leadership of Bob Chapek isabout driving profits. Full Stop. When posters on the board say--- "Disney cares about Guest Scores" (see the end of HArmonious for example, or the semi return of HEA) they only care if it is a relatively inexpensive fix, and the fix is singular. Meaning Maintenance --a higher ongoing costt-- despite a lot of people complaining about it--gets nowhere near the corporate attention despite bad guest scores-- because it is too high a price for Bob to digest.
2) THE FUTURE IS NOT NOW! Disney is aware of Epic Universe, and they are keeping their gunpowder dry and in storage for the 2024 d23. The WDW world will get a ton of attention in 2024 or 2026 to offset the Opening of Epic. Personally, I would bet a lot of smoke in 2024 to deflect from the opening, with some things beginning to built (on the usual 4-5 year Disney timeline)==and then some more on 2026. I believe Disney siis content to ride on the coattails of Epic Universe... (in Bob's thinking-- "Hey let Comcast do the work of bringing people to Orlando-- I'll get mine and some additional days of yours." ) Personally, I think they looked at the Potterverse--something that out Disney's Disney--- and they only lost 5% or so of market share. I think Chapek is okay with that with his higher price strategy if it happens again, Very dangerous thinking--- but see Point 1! New things will be built to open by 2028/2030.
3) SOMETIMES YOU MISFIRE. The truth behind the strange panel? They thought they could get away with it. In a condescending smarmy way, they thought that a couple of songs from Tiana would distract like a bad minstrel show, from the lack of information about Tiana;s Bayou Adventure and other information the audience came for . "But we showed a model" and "Hey 63 other characters" (which probably includes a rock along the river, lol). The Disney of Today values their best clients-- they just value corporate profits wayyyyyy more. Disney values their Bonuses more. They value Synergy more, They value their ideologies more. They value almost everything more than their theme park fans. The panel disrespected the audience that attended--- except for the plants who were there on company dime,

EPCOT-O.G.

So, another option. Could it be possible there are some arguing factions going on right now, and this was a group jumping out in front? Maybe there is a group looking for some new major expansions to WDW (maybe in response to Epic Universe, maybe not), and another group against it, and this was a way to put it out into the universe and pressure those trying to push back against major expansions?
I am not sure D'Amaro - who's been a loyal lieutenant for Chapek from the outset - went rogue at the end of a massive public presentation with the creative heads of Walt Disney Animation and WDI

mattpeto

If you were playing with the D23 Odds workbook here are the winners:

Line ItemTypeTypeOdds
Magic KingdomDetailsSplash Mountain to Tiana Details0.25 to 1
Magic KingdomOpeningTRON Lightcycle Run Opening Season3 to 1
EPCOTDetailsDreamer's Point/Epcot Spine Update3 to 1
Magic KingdomClassics - ReturningHappily Ever After will return4 to 1
EPCOTOpeningJourney of Water Opening Season20 to 1
Magic KingdomNewNighttime Spectacular125 to 1
Magic KingdomAttraction UpdatesHatbox Ghost Animatronic250 to 1
EPCOTNewNighttime Spectacular1000 to 1

These were the ties (you get your bet money back):
Line ItemTypeTypeOdds
Animal KingdomNewAttraction10 to 1
All ParksMeet & Greets - NewMando and Grogu100 to 1
All ParksMeet & Greets - NewMarvel (any)100 to 1
Magic KingdomNewAttraction125 to 1
All ParksNewEncanto themed attraction or show200 to 1
Magic KingdomNew100 Years of Wonder Fab 5 Costumes1000 to 1
Animal KingdomAttraction UpdatesDinosaur Rethemed1000 to 1
Animal KingdomWild RumorZootopia at AK1500 to 1

This was a WDW Odds sheet, but I'll throw your bet money back your way for Mando/Hulk featured part of the Expo.

LSLS

I am not sure D'Amaro - who's been a loyal lieutenant for Chapek from the outset - went rogue at the end of a massive public presentation with the creative heads of Walt Disney Animation and WDI

Oh I don't think he would either, I'm more thinking a bit further down the line. Could be the WDW high ups were fighting against spending a bunch of money on new things, could be designers arguing with accountants about what is the potential of those areas with each other, and one grabbed Josh's ear. I'm a bit of the opinion that Chapek is less involved in the parks than people think.

Dan Deesnee

A lot will either not happen or be drastically changed. It's obvious they are on full panic mode over Epic Universe.

I know right? What a completely bizarre way to end the event. That Blue Sky presentation was not for the guests, it was for investors. "We are working on a response, see."

If Disney was capable of building even the simplest of rides in less than 3-5 years I might think they could get these expansions done in time for Epic Universe but anyone paying attention knows that isn't the case. Maybe they'll surprise us...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom