Magic Key Renewals?

el_super

Disney hates APs because they spend less than day guests but an AP spending 75% of a day guest is a whole lot better than no guest paying 0% of a day guest. Losing 10,000+ guests a day (even if they are lower spending guests) won’t last long.

Even if you assume that food and merch spending between the two groups are the same, someone on an AP is always going to pay less than regular admission... because that's the point of the AP. The bare minimum might be making enough visits to "pay it off" but Disney noting that it drove down the per-capita ticket spending is Disney's way of indicating that the people who did have APs, came far more frequently than they thought they would. That could definitely be a problem for Disney.

Additionally, labor markets and supply chains being what they are right now, Disney doesn't have a clear picture on what the cost of servicing each visit really is. That certainly makes it more difficult to assign what your target per-capita entry is supposed to be versus what an AP going 5 days a week is costing.

Generally I do think they will come back (or maybe not even go away again), but I think everything that was said last year over limiting the number of uses and/or creating some kind of surge pricing for AP entitlements comes back into play. Yes you want to fill in those holes where attendance is soft (Mon-Thur) but you can't overfill that capacity to the point that it's dragging down your bottom line in operating costs.

So either they come back, significantly higher in price, or some completely new and complicated system will come in to replace the Magic Keys.

People, including Disney, complain about DL APs/MKs, but Disneyland plays a big part in creating the culture.

I think there are growing signs that Disney wants to change the culture, but it's difficult to do.

jrayfarm

Disney should do two passes: one high end, no blackouts, guaranteed reservation, go every day you please pass, and price it at 3k.
The second is the low end, M-Th only off season pass for $500.

Then, to replicate the bulk of the middle pass users who aren’t vloggers or stay at home parents, offer a ticket package with 5, 12, or 24 day options with a 1 or 2 year expiration fuse. They can make reservations alongside the other ticket holders and go once or twice a month if they choose, or burn through the days in 6 months and re-up again when ready.

SoCalDisneyLover

What I like about having an Annual Pass, is the ability to visit for a few hours. There were many times I'd show up at park opening, and take off by 1:00, once it started getting crowded, or the temperature got high. Other times I'd come at 6:00, and just hang out for the nighttime shows.

A pass with a set # of visits, simply would not appeal to me. Instead of feeling like I could come in the morning, and do a few rides, AND, come in the evening for some dinner and shows, I'd feel the need to combine the 2 into a single LONG day, rather than use 2 of my allotted 10 annual visits by going on different days.

Ryan120420

Seriously, where are the competitors' mean tweets? I would've expected something from UStu by now.

Universal Studios has a shiny brand new land that's going to open in a few months, so they may end up having to suspend AP sales and implement a reservation system to control demand.

So I don't see them posting any mean or snarky tweets about this.

Parteecia

Universal Studios has a shiny brand new land that's going to open in a few months, so they may end up having to suspend AP sales and implement a reservation system to control demand.

Ooh! That should be interesting.

Stevek

Everyone, especially vloggers, seem to be “forgetting” that Disney already said current key holders will be able to renew into some kind of pass.
But when? A couple of interesting thoughts I've heard:
1) Renewals only at the lower level which would free up capacity on key days (weekends) for tourists/day guests.
2) No renewals until January as to make sure there is non MK holder capacity available for tourists/day guests.

TP2000

TP, you should buy one and wear it the next time you stroll into the Park.
Even if you are not a 'Key Holder' ...it doesn't matter.
Have fun with it!

;)

-

I hope the kids actually wear these in my absence, starting as soon as they can get them shipped. I think it would be hysterical. 🤣

But before I move out of state I am planning a little visit to the park this fall. I'm returning to Tokyo Disneyland next year (rescheduled three times for Covid!), but that Anaheim visit will be a nice little farewell. I may actually wear one of these shirts this fall if it becomes an underground trend.

I also want to say a last goodbye to these old Resort FriendsTM...

ResortFriends.JPG

MarvelCharacterNerd

Another revenue source to consider is that many MK's are paying more than just their pass price every time they go. Before walking through those gates, they pay $15-$30 every visit for parking if they didn't get in on the quickly sold out passes with free parking. It's something I always made a point to tell people considering getting a pass (when they were still available) - just because the pass price itself may seem affordable, unless you got the top pass, plan on adding hundreds to your annual expense of going to the parks just for parking unless you live within ubering distance or take the bus.

Day ticket = $30 parking payment
MK = 20-30 (or more) x $30 parking payment if going weekly when they aren't blocked out in addition to whatever they're spending weekly on food and merch

But hey, what do I know. I'm apparently just part of the unfavorable attendance mix. And by the way - I need to know what is on the Unfavorable Attendance Mix Tape and if it is half as good as the Awesome Mix Tape that Peter Quill has. :D

MoonRakerSCM

As a current unfavorable myself, I'm obviously biased.

My conspiracy theory take is that Disney is now solely intent on running the parks at the bare minimum best bang for their buck. They intend to staff the parks at the absolute minimum that they can to function and no more. Unfavorables, such as myself, throw that out of whack as on days that will have low or mid attendance with normal guests will suddenly be crammed in the evening. This is difficult for Disney to staff especially in these times with people sticking up their middle fingers to a job.

So what does Disney do instead of take pride in their product and staff? Take a crap on their biggest fans.

mickEblu

But when? A couple of interesting thoughts I've heard:
1) Renewals only at the lower level which would free up capacity on key days (weekends) for tourists/day guests.
2) No renewals until January as to make sure there is non MK holder capacity available for tourists/day guests.

Probably sooner than later. Sometime between now and D23.

Seeing as they can’t seem to get enough day ticket holders to the park with the current pricing structure (and we all know they won’t lower single day prices enough to make a real difference) I’d imagine they would want to keep Dream and Believe Keys before the lower tiers as they spend more money.

Just how surgical do they think they can get with Keys, different tiers of Keys and day ticket holders? Have they not already damn near maximized what they can do? At a certain point just enjoy your billions and take some time taking pride in your park and brand and reflect on the principals/ values that got you here. Spend an entire quarter doing that. It’ll be good for the long term health of the park.

Last edited:

Rich T

I personally would never wear one of those shirts...I've never really worn or done anything to indicate I'm an AP/MK other than take advantage of the discounts that come with it.
I bought an annual pass to Universal Orlando, and they’re about to begin a several week “Passholder Appreciation“ period. I can buy a passholder spirit jersey. Or get exclusive eats. No thanks. I bought a pass so I can get early entry all year and ride Hagrid’s without a 90 minute wait. I don’t want to wear anything that screams, “Hey, everyone, I’m here way too often!”

Parteecia

I don't think it will be any worse than when WWoHP opened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom