Rumor Dropping the "Walt" from "Walt Disney World"

John park hopper

Hyperbole much?? People will not forget that Walt Disney created everything we love just because his first name is dropped from the parks. Whether it should or shouldn't is another matter.

And let's not compare Disney to Pearl Harbor or D-Day. It is just silly. As the song goes, "One of these things is not like the other...."
Time will tell

AEfx

Surprised this thread is still going. It seemed pretty obvious it was a made up story to get people interested in some random podcast.
This. All I needed to read was "Jim Hill" to know that.

It wouldn't make sense on a number of levels that aren't worth wasting the time to get in to, but the biggest red flag is "announced at D23".

I mean, who knows, maybe this is one of the dung bundles that scammer throws at a wall that sticks, but I doubt even this current regime is dumb enough to announce something like that at D23 of all places. I don't think that would go over very well with them...

Father Robinson

I understand what you are saying but here is my take on al of this....besides people on Disney fan sites such as this no one is going to care or even probably notice if they drop Walt from the name. This is something that may get Disney fanatics all in a tizzy but the large majority of people who visit WDW won't care at all. The price increases and diminishing return on what you pay for don't even seem to stop people from going so a name change won't register at all.
I know what you're saying, but that shouldn't be how decisions are made, (only a few will notice). Because the people who do notice and care speak out about it and make folks who otherwise wouldn't notice aware of what happened and so on and so on, and it can make a bad situation much worse. I realize not everything at WDW is sacred, but this is something that definitely should be. There's absolutely no reason to change it.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Just like Pearl Harbor, D-day and so many other events in history are forgotten in the publics memory I'm afraid memory of Walt (the man who started it all) will be forgotten by the masses
Back in the day at MGM Studios there was the Backlot Tour complete with the WW2 part were selected guests put on raincoats and feel the experience of being attacked on a ship with explosions and water effects since the guests do get wet.

VJ

Original Poster
Walt cast himself to star in the weekly series/advertisement for a park named after himself called "The Wonderful World of Disney."

The reason why people idolize Walt so much is because he erected the idol.
The Wonderful World of Disney started in 1969, after Walt died. Before that, it was Walt Disney's Disneyland (1954-1958), Walt Disney Presents (1958-1961) then Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color (1961-1969).

bhg469

Its always been absurd.

I’m sure some here will still die on that hill.
It's absolutely absurd but that doesn't change the simple fact that it was probably under serious discussion at some point.. Jim didn't just make up the rumor. He must have gotten the information from somewhere credible.. in this case it's just something that won't happen.

mikejs78

Premium Member
It's absolutely absurd but that doesn't change the simple fact that it was probably under serious discussion at some point.. Jim didn't just make up the rumor. He must have gotten the information from somewhere credible.. in this case it's just something that won't happen.

Seriously, how do you know that? It could have been a suggestion from one person that was immediately dismissed. Or, as some rumors are, not ever even discussed.

This rumor predated the Dish show. A couple of non-reputable blogs posted about it about a month ago, I remember dismissing it at the time as ridiculous.

For all we know, Jim was commenting on why they might consider it based on those rumors, not anything he heard. Jim does tend to do that.

Story over, nothing to see here, except for those who are intent on finding things to criticize current management for, even when there's no basis for it.

bhg469

Seriously, how do you know that? It could have been a suggestion from one person that was immediately dismissed. Or, as some rumors are, not ever even discussed.

This rumor predated the Dish show. A couple of non-reputable blogs posted about it about a month ago, I remember dismissing it at the time as ridiculous.

For all we know, Jim was commenting on why they might consider it based on those rumors, not anything he heard. Jim does tend to do that.

Story over, nothing to see here, except for those who are intent on finding things to criticize current management for, even when there's no basis for it.
And you don't know that he didn't get this info from a reputable source. It's all moot anyway. The name changes, the outrage would be temporary because people will till overpay for a diminished experience as they have for a decade. If the name doesn't change, same results.

mikejs78

Premium Member
And you don't know that he didn't get this info from a reputable source. It's all moot anyway. The name changes, the outrage would be temporary because people will till overpay for a diminished experience as they have for a decade. If the name doesn't change, same results.
🙄

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Jim has gotten so many things wrong that it's clear that he doesn't have reliable sources (anymore).

If he did have reliable sources he wouldn't be giving breath to this absurd rumor, but instead rebutting it.

Magenta Panther

All of the so-called "problematic accusations", BTW, are rubbish:

Walt was not an anti-Semite. (Hired Jews, and there were Jews in his family. Was given a Man of the Year award by the Beverly Hills chapter of B'nai Brith, a Jewish organization that fought anti-Semitism, after it investigated rumors that he was anti-Jewish and found no truth in them. A few years later, a women's Jewish group, Radassah, awarded him also.)

Walt was not a racist - ask legendary Disney animator Floyd Norman, an African-American animator who worked with Walt on Sleeping Beauty and The Jungle Book. Floyd is happily still with us and has come out in defense of his boss.

Walt was not a sexist or misogynist - he planned to hire women animators. When he announced this and some on his staff objected, he replied that a woman could expect to advance in the Walt Disney Company the same as a man, and that he believed that women could add to the animation art form better than men could or would. The only thing that stopped his hiring plans was World War II, when the Walt Disney Studio was thrown into turmoil and barely survived. Just the same, women animators did work for Walt. Beta Tamargo, Elizabeth Zwicker, Nancy Stapp, Eva Schneider, Ruth Kissane, and Lyn Kroger were all in-between and assistant animators who worked on films like Bambi and Sleeping Beauty, among others.

Anyway, I just don't get why some people get off by trying to paint Walt in dark colors. It's toxic cynicism and plain slander. And Seth McFarland can go jump in the lake.

jar311

What would even be the purpose? Did the author of article say? It doesn't feel like an announcement they would make at D23!

I mean, imagine all the hassle with just updating merchandise...

Probably so Cheapek can save money by having four less letters printed on everything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom