New Cirque du Soleil 'Drawn to Life' show in development to replace La Nouba

RobWDW1971

The theater is half full because it’s almost double the price of La Nouba and it suffers from lack of good promotion.

Hard to keep track of all of the excuses:

1) Price too high
2) Lack of promotion
3) Sun got in my eyes
4) Dog ate my homework

Let's see...well known, established 30+ year old brand with a new show in one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world and shows half full* - hmmmmmm....could it be that nobody cares and it's a tired concept?

I put it in the same category as Planet Hollywood and Blockbuster Video - things that were fun in the 90's that are irrelevant today. The same tourists who are spending like drunken sailors on shore leave for everything else in WDW are avoiding this like the plague, but hey, you keep selling it!

(*Being VERY kind with "half full" - click on the coming weeks including weekends, yikes!)

scottb411

There have been some posts that Orando doesn’t do well with theater shows when Orlando is having a bit of a renaissance in theater with the Doctor Phillips Center in Downtown Orlando:

Advertisements for La Nouba were all over the place locally when it was running. I agree that the price is too high for circus acts that we’ve already seen before or something like it before. La Nouba had that great act where the acrobats climbed the wall that nobody had ever seen before. I haven’t seen anything from this show that would make we want to go. The only promotional material that I have seen are people dressed up as paint brushes talking to each other.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Y'all don't understand the increased cost...

When you're watching someone do a double backflip with a double twist in a pike position off of a teeter totter board, and they're doing so because they're a rubber band on a Disney animator's desk, then that is certainly worth the extra 50% mark-up!!

Brand name flips always cost more!

TalkingHead

Promotion doesn’t seem to be the only/main problem. Online reviews are very mixed (TripAdvisor rating is 3/5 on average with plenty of pans and unfavorable comparisons to Nouba). Not sure if a revamp or reimagining is needed, but clearly something with this show isn’t landing with a lot of audiences.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Promotion doesn’t seem to be the only/main problem. Online reviews are very mixed (TripAdvisor rating is 3/5 on average with plenty of pans and unfavorable comparisons to Nouba). Not sure if a revamp or reimagining is needed, but clearly something with this show isn’t landing with a lot of audiences.
It’s definitely a polarizing show. There are diehard Cirque fans who don’t like it because of the Disney and there are diehard Disney fans who hate it because it’s too metaphorically Cirque (which says more about Disney fans if anything). I’m interested to see how this show evolves, if it survives, in the future. There is so much potential here that I hate to see both parties abandon the concept.

EricsBiscuit

It’s definitely a polarizing show. There are diehard Cirque fans who don’t like it because of the Disney and there are diehard Disney fans who hate it because it’s too metaphorically Cirque (which says more about Disney fans if anything). I’m interested to see how this show evolves, if it survives, in the future. There is so much potential here that I hate to see both parties abandon the concept.
Can you blame Disney fans for wanting Disney content? Maybe Cirque isn’t right for Disney. If they put Beauty and the Beast or their Aladdin production it would be sold out every night.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Can you blame Disney fans for wanting Disney content? Maybe Cirque isn’t right for Disney. If they put Beauty and the Beast or their Aladdin production it would be sold out every night.
No I can’t blame them. Just like I can’t blame Cirque fans for thinking there is not enough Cirque.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Animaniac93-98

"Disney" has become extremely narrow in its focus and content.

Every show/parade/fireworks globally uses the same characters, songs and movies, resulting in a very repetitive experience. I have no interest in paying through the nose to see an acrobatic variation of these same tired messages. La Nouba was at least unique, both as a Cirque production and as a piece of entertainment in WDW. I guess we should be grateful we didn't get stuck with Cirque du Toy Story.

I bet if they dropped the price substantially they'd have an easier time filling seats, but maybe not paying for rent and the cost of production.

brb1006

"Disney" has become extremely narrow in its focus and content.

Every show/parade/fireworks globally uses the same characters, songs and movies, resulting in a very repetitive experience. I have no interest in paying through the nose to see an acrobatic variation of these same tired messages. La Nouba was at least unique, both as a Cirque production and as a piece of entertainment in WDW. I guess we should be grateful we didn't get stuck with Cirque du Toy Story.

I bet if they dropped the price substantially they'd have an easier time filling seats, but maybe not paying for rent and the cost of production.
What about Tokyo? At least some of their daytime parades and shows give more love to Disney's obscure abd lesser-known properties.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I for one was blown away by this show. I got 8 tickets for my trip this coming week, taking the in-laws and my friend from LA to see it! It was honestly the best part of my last trip. To criticize this show in the way some ignorant folks here are saying is ludicrous.

Also, criticism from people who haven't seen this show is stupid.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Question... Was there a hybrid show like BATB was during the pandemic with a smaller cast??? Or did I just see a show where 1/3 of the cast got COVID or something??

Because I watched it again today... And instead of 2 owls (only one of the two windmills was used) there was like 6 of them!! Also, the act with the huge bunch of ladies at the end wasn't performed at all when I saw it in June.. AND we only had 4 rubber band people in June, but this time there was like 8!

Maybe we just caught them on a bad day where "the show must go on!" What's really funny is I thought that "condensed" show was great in and of itself. So today was a pleasant surprise!

PXL_20220809_230601063.jpg

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Question... Was there a hybrid show like BATB was during the pandemic with a smaller cast??? Or did I just see a show where 1/3 of the cast got COVID or something??

Because I watched it again today... And instead of 2 owls (only one of the two windmills was used) there was like 6 of them!! Also, the act with the huge bunch of ladies at the end wasn't performed at all when I saw it in June.. AND we only had 4 rubber band people in June, but this time there was like 8!

Maybe we just caught them on a bad day where "the show must go on!" What's really funny is I thought that "condensed" show was great in and of itself. So today was a pleasant surprise!

View attachment 659227

I was there opening night then back again a few days later. What you described seeing recently is the full cast. I would assume they had a Covid outbreak

IMDREW

I went about a month ago and I didn't get the windmill act. Apart from that we only had 3 out of the usually 5 guys doing the jumps and movement on the big piece of paper. A few of the cast members wore masks in the show. I do know Cirque always makes its shows as a plug and play, its not easy finding backup performers for certain acts, as you can imagine.

WDWmazprty

I really loved seeing La Nouba back in 2000...All the Cirque shows are incredible and I think La Nouba will always be my favorite. I'm excited to see how this new one will be.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom