Should Disney ever add Pandora to Disneyland or DCA

Should Disney ever add Pandora to Disneyland or DCA

• Yes

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • No

Votes: 57 77.0%

• Total voters

mickEblu

I’m not sure if it should but it will come if Disneyland Forward happens. With four more movies coming out it makes a lot of sense. I’d also prefer it to the likes of another Toy Story land or Zootopia land. With that said I’d prefer non single IP lands like Fantasy Springs at Disney Sea or maybe even something like an Adventureland- Fantasyland mashup where you can add Neverland, Moana, UP/ Paradise Falls, Encanto and more.

If it’s a single IP land I think a Critter Country path to Endor would be a nice transition. Finally give us that speed bike coaster through the Ewok village/ Forrest. It could be like Disneys version of Hagrids. I think one land centered around the OT would probably be a good idea for Disneyland Forward.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

There isn't a single piece of existing theme park space that seems viable to me for Pandora. It's a cool land, but not one I think needs to be reproduced. Maybe if there's a cool new environment in one of the new films, should they become hits, that is something we can re-examine at that time. But an exact duplication, no way. (Aside: remember when Disney didn't just clone lands? Like, sure, they'd build another Frontierland, but it wouldn't just be Disneyland's Frontierland copied and pasted in, say, Paris. Ah, those were the days...)

The fact that it is a Less Bad option than some other things Disney has done doesn't really change the fact that I personally wouldn't want Pandora at Disneyland.

Put me 100% on Team Original Concepts(TM). If you want to see Pandora, great, go to Florida! You want to see Carsland? Great, go to...and so on.

mickEblu

There isn't a single piece of existing theme park space that seems viable to me for Pandora. It's a cool land, but not one I think needs to be reproduced. Maybe if there's a cool new environment in one of the new films, should they become hits, that is something we can re-examine at that time. But an exact duplication, no way. (Aside: remember when Disney didn't just clone lands? Like, sure, they'd build another Frontierland, but it wouldn't just be Disneyland's Frontierland copied and pasted in, say, Paris. Ah, those were the days...)

The fact that it is a Less Bad option than some other things Disney has done doesn't really change the fact that I personally wouldn't want Pandora at Disneyland.

Put me 100% on Team Original Concepts(TM). If you want to see Pandora, great, go to Florida! You want to see Carsland? Great, go to...and so on.

Pandora is a much less bad option than things like Zootopia land or another Toy Story land. I agree, I don’t see a place for it at DCA (even with the eastern gateway expansion) or Disneyland. It would have to be Disneyland forward. I would have Preferred Pandora to Galaxies Edge.

MoonRakerSCM

Single IP lands do not belong in a castle park. It would be one heck of a gymnastic feat to word salad around Avatar being in DCA.

That being said, my biggest fear right now is they may do this in the motorboat/autopia/sub area. If you pick up Avatar land and plunk it down in that footprint, it fits quite nicely.

mickEblu

Single IP lands do not belong in a castle park. It would be one heck of a gymnastic feat to word salad around Avatar being in DCA.

That being said, my biggest fear right now is they may do this in the motorboat/autopia/sub area. If you pick up Avatar land and plunk it down in that footprint, it fits quite nicely.

I agree with the sentiment but anything on the Disneyland Forward side of the park wouldn’t even feels like it belongs to Disneyland. It would be Disneyland in name only. Any mega Popular land should go in DCA (forward) anyway. That park is the one that needs it.

Last edited:

mickEblu

If… IF the Avatar films become a genuinely beloved epic series, then sure. If not, let’s keep it a DAK one-off.

There’s no way they don’t. I think the current trend of people streaming and staying at home vs going to the theatre only helps the franchise as “event” films stand out even more now.

GiveMeTheMusic

Disney begged OLC to buy Pandora for TDS. Made a huge deal about it at D23 Expo Japan. OLC was not moved, Fantasy Springs happened instead.

There has been at least one proposal to knock out subs/autopia/launch bay for Pandora, but that won't surface again unless the next couple movies do a ton of business.

The most logical places for Pandora to pop up in any form next - in my opinion - are WDS and SDL. With Batuu off the table for Paris, that park needs something else and there's just no way Disney will pay to design something from scratch for WDS. Avatar was popular in China, so once they get something Marvel off the ground in SDL, Pandora would be a logical thing to evaluate afterward.

DisneylandForward is still a very long, long way from coming to fruition. Pandora doesn't make sense in Anaheim under current conditions.

TP2000

I read this thread title and thought "There's already a Pandora shop in New Orleans Square!"

Then I opened the thread and saw what we're talking about and said... "Oh, that Pandora. Nevermind." 🤣

SaneImperfectBernesemountaindog-size_restricted.gif

But that just makes my point. Avatar is not an impactful franchise. The E Ticket is well received in WDW because it's a big, splashy E Ticket in an amusement park that only has 8 rides. Eight.

Seriously, the amusement park Avatar is in has only 8 rides. And KiteTails.

Also, since Avatar was released over a decade ago I have never once had a child show up on my front porch at Halloween dressed as a blue alien. And for the 25+ years I lived in Villa Park, I gave out full-size Hershey bars and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups on Halloween, with custom made See's Candy gift baskets for Best Girl, Best Boy, and Best Family costume winners. No one has ever worn an Avatar costume on Halloween.

Avatar is just not a thing. Eight rides!

Last edited:

mickEblu

Disney begged OLC to buy Pandora for TDS. Made a huge deal about it at D23 Expo Japan. OLC was not moved, Fantasy Springs happened instead.

There has been at least one proposal to knock out subs/autopia/launch bay for Pandora, but that won't surface again unless the next couple movies do a ton of business.

The most logical places for Pandora to pop up in any form next - in my opinion - are WDS and SDL. With Batuu off the table for Paris, that park needs something else and there's just no way Disney will pay to design something from scratch for WDS. Avatar was popular in China, so once they get something Marvel off the ground in SDL, Pandora would be a logical thing to evaluate afterward.

DisneylandForward is still a very long, long way from coming to fruition. Pandora doesn't make sense in Anaheim under current conditions.

Yikes! Pandora next to the Matterhorn. I guess I need to start actively praying for the franchise to fail. Where would that huge show building go? Do they care about sight lines anymore? Is that even possible anymore assuming they re using the motorboat area and some of Autopia(?) for whatever Scott is hinting at?

Other than more Marvel and Star Wars I can’t see what would make more sense for Disneyland Forward… to Disney. Of course I’m assuming the next 4 movies will be huge and by the time they break ground (if they break ground) 3-4 of them will have been released. Now if they re trying to do it on a budget I guess we should expect more Toy Story Land type stuff.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Do you happen to know what happened in Paris that kicked Batuu off the table? That seemed like one of the most surefire successes they could propose for that park, it surprised me to hear it suddenly wasn't happening.

DSP certainly still needs much more. I wouldn't begrudge them getting a version of Pandora. Far less interested in seeing it go West to Anaheim, though.

GiveMeTheMusic

Do you happen to know what happened in Paris that kicked Batuu off the table? That seemed like one of the most surefire successes they could propose for that park, it surprised me to hear it suddenly wasn't happening.

DSP certainly still needs much more. I wouldn't begrudge them getting a version of Pandora. Far less interested in seeing it go West to Anaheim, though.

The Batuu proposal was just some shops/cantina/food and Rise. No falcon (set piece or ride). Rise is an operational nightmare. As I understand it, it was Paris leadership who rejected it and after the lackluster reception in the US to the land as a whole, they didn’t get much pushback.

No idea what will replace it, but Pandora seems like a reasonable bet.

yensidtlaw1969

The Batuu proposal was just some shops/cantina/food and Rise. No falcon (set piece or ride). Rise is an operational nightmare. As I understand it, it was Paris leadership who rejected it and after the lackluster reception in the US to the land as a whole, they didn’t get much pushback.

No idea what will replace it, but Pandora seems like a reasonable bet.
I'd love to see DLP take a different swing at a Star Wars Land - I'm not a Star Wars fan in particular, but there's so much potential that you could do a completely new take and still have a so much to work with. Batuu is definitely not the grand slam Disney seemed sure it would be.

Last time I was at DLP I ended up having a conversation with a local where we talked about how different WDW is from DLP - he hadn't been and was envious of Pandora and Galaxy's Edge and some other newer projects. Part of what I love most about Disneyland Paris is how the park manages to retain a value system that seems to have faded significantly in WDW and DL, but part of the reason is that they mostly just haven't been in the position to tackle new, large investments. Which has the benefit of sparing them from some tragic artistic choices that affected the American parks, but also means they haven't much gotten to taste any of the mega-scale-style attractions that have started to come online in the past decade. Ratatouille comes closest, but has been bested handily by things like Rise of the Resistance.

It would be nice to see DSP get a few of these newer style mega-rides. I really don't think any of them are a good fit for Parc Disneyland proper, thematically, artistically, or spatially, but if Disney Studios walked out of this decade with a Flight of Passage, a Rise of the Resistance-equivalent, and some new, unique attraction of a similar scale, I'd be plenty willing to say the park had finally arrived.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom