MSEP ending at Disneyland on Sept 1, WDW return in 2023?

Disney Glimpses

Original Poster
They start running nighttime parades 4x a week in mid-August. I don’t see how they would run MSEP only 3x per week. I’d say in January would be more of a possibility, but slim-they won’t do anything else for the 50th at this point unless you like virtual photos. They can’t wait to put the 50th behind them.
I do think there is a significant possibility it returns for 100 Years of Wonder at WDW.

brb1006

Next time don't assume I'm a n00b with Disney and parades. Whether you realize it or not I've been going to Disney (both parks) regularly since 1982. MSEP was running from before the time I went until 1991 or so. Then it returned 2x and I was thrilled (and glad my family were able to see it - once on my honeymoon and then introducing to offspring later) . ETA WDWs verison was its own - and predated Spectro.

While you find Spectro beloved not all do. I found it cheesy and really not good. Glad it went tbh. Still miss the Baroque Hoedown at WDW (and really don't care where people think it belongs) and it is my ringtone.

So I am 100% in favor of this rumor and really hope Spectro is never rebuilt as it was.
I wasn't assuming you were a newbie, just explaining why some WDW fans grew to loath MSEP in recent years.

correcaminos

I'm not assuming you're a noob, just explaning why some WDW fans grew to loath MSEP in recent years.
With some history incorrect ;) MSEP predated and was made just for MK looks like the year I was born. Just checked. Then had 2 runs after it left. Just explaining this why even longer time Disney fans love it and dislike Spectro.

An interesting thing I find is people like what they saw first most it seems. Many friends adored the wand and the hat and didn't get why so many cheered when they were removed. Those who didn't go until much later don't always know longer histories and how crazy us super long fans are lol

brb1006

With some history incorrect ;) MSEP predated and was made just for MK looks like the year I was born. Just checked. Then had 2 runs after it left. Just explaining this why even longer time Disney fans love it and dislike Spectro.

An interesting thing I find is people like what they saw first most it seems. Many friends adored the wand and the hat and didn't get why so many cheered when they were removed. Those who didn't go until much later don't always know longer histories and how crazy us super long fans are lol
Are you referring to Spectro of MSEP having two runs? Because I remember MSEP brifely ran at WDW between 1999 till 2000 as part of the Millennium Celebration.

correcaminos

Are you referring to Spectro of MSEP having two runs? Because I remember MSEP brifely ran at WDW between 1999 till 2000 as part of the Millennium Celebration.
MSEP had 3 runs at MK. Original in 1977 and what I grew up with. That ended in Sept of 1991 per research. It was its own with wider floats than the DL version. It came back in 1999 for roughly 2 years and then again in 2010-2016. My honeymoon was in 2000 and my spouse who never really did Disney saw it then. My child born in 2007 was able to experience it as well though I recall a reverse route thwn originally.

Not sure why you found anything to be angry about in my posts. ETA I see a different smiley now, ignore! I mean you can love Spectro but please don't discount people's feelings about MSEP. It is a classic and more so than Spectro. It had a collective 22 year run. Spectro had a not to shabby 17 collective year run.

DoleWhipDrea

...I just really would like to enjoy a luminescent nighttime parade at WDW, whatever it may be. Disneyland gets such great entertainment offerings but WDW always gets shafted.
Sad Anne Hathaway GIF

CntrlFlPete

It would not surprise me in the least that it’s returning considering the flood of MSEP merch at MK.

I wondered why they have MSEP merch at WDW if the parade was only at DLR. Sorry, but it’s my favorite parade - lots of nostalgia with my family. I hope they bring it back to WDW.

That merch has 'Disneyland' on it. A lot of Disneyland merch ended up in FL while a lot of Disney World merch ended up in CA (there is a railroad dress that went to the wrong coast). This was even happening at the .com shop. My wife ordered a WDW jersey and they sent one meant for Hong Kong. She couldn't even return it to WDW as the sku was not in the system here.

Anyway, the MSEP merch at WDW is for the Disneyland's 50th anniversary of its parade just sent out to the wrong park!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't understand how anyone can think that no night parade is better than MSEP.
Because I, for one, think that Baroque Hoedown is annoying with it's repetitive cloying melody and ye olde timey thin and shrilly electronic synthesized soundtrack.

And the lighting package is straight out of the 70s, too.

MK deserves good floats with the latest illumination gimmicks and an excellent soundtrack. Not a hand-me-down throwback.

Hopefully HEA comes back, and if the gathering for that excellent show is going to be disturbed by a nighttime parade, that parade better be as top notch as HEA or the nighttime equivalent of FoF.

EricsBiscuit

That merch has 'Disneyland' on it. A lot of Disneyland merch ended up in FL while a lot of Disney World merch ended up in CA (there is a railroad dress that went to the wrong coast). This was even happening at the .com shop. My wife ordered a WDW jersey and they sent one meant for Hong Kong. She couldn't even return it to WDW as the sku was not in the system here.

Anyway, the MSEP merch at WDW is for the Disneyland's 50th anniversary of its parade just sent out to the wrong park!
From what I’ve seen, unless it’s the tag that says DL, there’s very little merch that says DL. If it’s at the wrong park, then they messed up by thousands of miles. It’s more likely WDW was in desperate need of merchandise than a screw up of that magnitude. But, since the merchandise situation has been getting better, I think it’s most likely they plan on moving the MSEP to WDW and simply made enough merch for both coasts, knowing they would move it.

James J

In the Parks
No
From what I’ve seen, unless it’s the tag that says DL, there’s very little merch that says DL. If it’s at the wrong park, then they messed up by thousands of miles. It’s more likely WDW was in desperate need of merchandise than a screw up of that magnitude. But, since the merchandise situation has been getting better, I think it’s most likely they plan on moving the MSEP to WDW and simply made enough merch for both coasts, knowing they would move it.
I believe that it's the MSEP Spirit Jersey being talked about, and I saw it being sold at a few places in WDW in May. They very much have Disneyland on them:
Main-Street-Electrical-Parade-50th-Anniversary-Disneyland-Spirit-Jersey-Magic-Kingdom-Emporiu...jpeg

At the time these arrived in stores somebody on these boards stated they weren't meant to end up in WDW.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I don't understand how anyone can think that no night parade is better than MSEP.
Because it...is. I am constantly amazed at how often WDW fans cry and moan to have another park's hand-me-downs instead of something brand new for our park. WDW deserves the lousy entertainment package is has because the fans have lousy standards. Thank yourselves for the mediocrity.

Last edited:

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I love MSEP. Love the music! Love the cohesive design.

Spectro is great fun too and some of the floats were fantastic but some of it looked disjointed to me and some of the music grew tiresome. Still I would take it in a heartbeat if it still existed.

Touchdown

-It is 50 years old, it’s literally just Christmas lights on hastily put together wooden cutouts, that have not been meaningfully upgraded or given new effects
-The costumes are also 50 years old and feature multiple old versions of zoo characters that aren’t on model anymore
-The floats were designed for DLs narrow streets and look woefully small at MK
-Lighting technology has advanced by leaps and bounds since this debuted let’s get a parade that utilizes it.

In summary, I quote Dr. Henry Walton Jones Jr: “It belongs in a museum!”

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I have to say I’m really surprised by all the hate. People here typically adore the equally hokey Electrical Water Pageant, so such opposition to the return of its more elaborate land-based counterpart makes no sense to me. I for one would be delighted to have it back.
I love the parade. When I lived in Orlando, I was in the MK every weekend watching it. I bought two MSEP 50th souvenirs last week. It's part of Disney Park's history.

I share angst toward its return because I know Disney can do better. The Magic Kingdom deserves something better. But WDW fans always settle for less and, in turn, always get less.

LittleBuford

I love the parade. When I lived in Orlando, I was in the MK every weekend watching it. I bought two MSEP 50th souvenirs last week. It's part of Disney Park's history.

I share angst toward its return because I know Disney can do better. The Magic Kingdom deserves something better. But WDW fans always settle for less and, in turn, always get less.
Disney could do much better than the rather humble and really, really hokey Electrical Water Pageant, too. But there’s something rather charming and wonderful about these whimsical relics of a different age. I don’t consider my standards low for enjoying them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom