Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ok great. I can’t spend any more time on this. Especially with someone who is on record saying that the Collectors Fortress being set at Hollywoodland at DCA made sense. Happy 4th of July weekend.
I'm happy this can make sense to you my friend, but the Collector stuff can't. Seems really arbitrary to me. :)

We all have different opinions and acceptance on the things that make "sense" in the Parks. This is going to be no different in that regard. And if Facilier ends up being in the attraction, whether it makes sense in the story or not will be determined by how its presented. Its just so far in all the discussion of it here it doesn't make sense to me given the rules setup in the movie. But that could all change, so we'll just see.

And Happy 4th to you and your family as well.

TrainsOfDisney

They did do research (a ton!) while building Haunted Mansion — including, if I’m remembering correctly, actually flying to New Orleans. Harriet Burns recounted it in interviews.
Nothing about haunted mansion is even related to New Orleans which is why it could be copied and pasted into liberty square and fantasyland in sister parks.

Just hire Sally to do a proper redo of the attraction... they’ll do a better job with the money than having these silly research trips. Imagineering is becoming a true joke

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Nothing about haunted mansion is even related to New Orleans which is why it could be copied and pasted into liberty square and fantasyland in sister parks.

Just hire Sally to do a proper redo of the attraction... they’ll do a better job with the money than having these silly research trips. Imagineering is becoming a true joke
I looked up New Orleans on Wikipedia I get to run the retheme now

Brer Panther

Glad someone mentioned this. I'm really looking forward to the Tiana iteration at Disneyland; Splash 1.0 was always pretty chintzy and told the thinnest possible story in the most rudimentary and unclear way. The AAs are far from Disney's best and the sets (where they even exist) are minimal. These days, the ride feels painfully outdated (add in the maintenance issues and it's downright embarrassing). I will sorely miss the music and all the goofy AAs and the sort of handcrafted quality of it all, but Charita Carter and her team have nowhere to go but up with this redo. The flume's engineering shortcomings will remain, but everything else can be brought into the 21st-century.
Seems like the Imagineers have all the ingredients needed for a fully-satisfying ride (like the original Splash); let's hope they remember the timeless tropes of storytelling as they executive it.
You have way, way too much faith in Chapek's Disney. These are the people who gave us the simulator disguised as a dark ride that is Remy's Ratatouille Adventure, the screen-filled pile of mediocrity that is Mickey's Runaway Railway, and the crappy-looking Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind that couldn't be bothered to even include a simply animatronic. None of those attractions are even remotely like Splash Mountain. Regardless as to how good or bad Disneyland's Splash Mountain is, they have practically zero similarities aside from "they're rides at Disney parks". Very few if any animatronics, an over-reliance on screens, clumsy plots, an assumption that fancy special effects are a substitute for substance... nothing that Disney has built in the past few years has been even remotely like Splash Mountain. I have no faith in them pulling off a ride that's as good as Splash Mountain. At best, we'll probably wind up with a fusion of the Little Mermaid ride and Mickey's Runaway Railway..
The plot has always been a post-PatF preparation for a Mardi Gras celebration, so to have Facilier in the attraction makes no sense, and I even said so many times in this thread.
Disney clearly has no idea what it's doing with this retheme. Having Facilier be alive with no explanation would make no sense, but everyone is suggesting having him and his "friends" show up to mess with riders on the lift hill (not just on this website, on Twitter as well) so I wouldn't be surprised if they did it.

Granted, I also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't and just had the whole ride be a conflictless all happiness and sunshine thing a la the Little Mermaid ride, Frozen Ever After, and the mediocre at best Beauty and the Beast ride at Tokyo Disneyland.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
First let me just say, it was really already discussed in the posts above this, so I rather not rehash it all again. I'm commenting on a couple points to clarify things.

Having Facilier be alive with no explanation would make no sense, but everyone is suggesting having him and his "friends" show up to mess with riders on the lift hill (not just on this website, on Twitter as well) so I wouldn't be surprised if they did it.
If Facilier is alive as part of the real retheme when it opens I will post in bold letters on this site that its the stupidest thing that Disney has ever done.

Granted, I also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't and just had the whole ride be a conflictless all happiness and sunshine thing a la the Little Mermaid ride, Frozen Ever After, and the mediocre at best Beauty and the Beast ride at Tokyo Disneyland.
As I said in a previous post, not every attraction needs "drama" or "conflict". It is perfectly fine to have the guest ride through an attraction without anything that must be overcome. Its just like not every attraction needs a linear story as some here like to point out.

Last edited by a moderator:

waltography

Just for fun, I played around with OpenAI's API and asked it to generate new names for a Tiana ride. Not too far off from what they settled on. 😅

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 10.10.21 PM.png

Last edited:

Brer Panther

I still think having Louis encounter the Rougarou would be a better "Burrow's Lament" replacement than having the voodoo spirits show up to mess with us for no reason. Plus, it'd fit with the whole "love letter to New Orleans" thing they're pushing.

I honestly wasn't expecting them to announce that the ride would open in the later part of 2024 at Disneyland. At Magic Kingdom, it makes sense because the weather in Florida is always nice, but Splash Mountain always closes during the winter months at Disneyland. It's possible that Tiana's Bayou Adventure might include machines that dry a person's entire body like the ones for the Jurrasic Park ride at Universal Orlando. Their goal to open the ride by late 2024 might also have to do with the fact that it will be around the time of the film's 15th anniversary and to make it a celebratory event.

mharrington

I don't usually like to jump in on a thread when it's more than 250 (almost 300) pages and over 5,000 posts long, but in this case, I'm making an exception because I want to put my two cents in...

I really hope that the America Sings animals are retained for this new iteration of the ride. I would be quite upset (and yet not really surprised) if they removed them.

Also, since it's pretty much guaranteed that Bruno Campos won't be returning as the voice of Naveen in this ride (he hasn't done acting for over a decade (I believe he's an attorney now)), does anyone know who will be voicing Naveen instead?

...if Facilier ends up being in the attraction, whether it makes sense in the story or not will be determined by how its presented. Its just so far in all the discussion of it here it doesn't make sense to me given the rules setup in the movie. But that could all change, so we'll just see.

This is just my idea based on what we know (which I'm sure at least one or two other people have also proposed), but what if the Laughing Place scene was redone to be Dr. Facilier's grave? What could happen is that as Louis is looking for his trumpet, he thinks that it must be underground, so he goes underground to find it, and so do you. It turns out, however, the underground area is actually Facilier's grave, where you encounter his ghost and his so-called "friends on the other side". Out of petty revenge for his failure to rule New Orleans in life, Facilier settles instead for trapping anyone who intrudes on his resting place in there for all time, all done to his song "Friends On the Other Side", albeit with revised lyrics to fit the new theme of the ride. What was once the Burrow's Lament scene, which sets you up for the lift to the big drop, would be a great spot for that ominous chant of "Are you ready?" Then, as you reach the top of the lift, Mama Odie tries to save you with her voodoo, but she accidentally overdoes it, resulting in the big five-story drop.

I have a feeling this will be one of the attractions talked about at D23. In any case, I'm glad I was able to ride Splash Mountain one last time when I went to Disneyland in late May for Star Wars Celebration.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't usually like to jump in on a thread when it's more than 250 (almost 300) pages and over 5,000 posts long, but in this case, I'm making an exception because I want to put my two cents in...

I really hope that the America Sings animals are retained for this new iteration of the ride. I would be quite upset (and yet not really surprised) if they removed them.

Also, since it's pretty much guaranteed that Bruno Campos won't be returning as the voice of Naveen in this ride (he hasn't done acting for over a decade (I believe he's an attorney now)), does anyone know who will be voicing Naveen instead?

This is just my idea based on what we know (which I'm sure at least one or two other people have also proposed), but what if the Laughing Place scene was redone to be Dr. Facilier's grave? What could happen is that as Louis is looking for his trumpet, he thinks that it must be underground, so he goes underground to find it, and so do you. It turns out, however, the underground area is actually Facilier's grave, where you encounter his ghost and his so-called "friends on the other side". Out of petty revenge for his failure to rule New Orleans in life, Facilier settles instead for trapping anyone who intrudes on his resting place in there for all time, all done to his song "Friends On the Other Side", albeit with revised lyrics to fit the new theme of the ride. What was once the Burrow's Lament scene, which sets you up for the lift to the big drop, would be a great spot for that ominous chant of "Are you ready?" Then, as you reach the top of the lift, Mama Odie tries to save you with her voodoo, but she accidentally overdoes it, resulting in the big five-story drop.

I have a feeling this will be one of the attractions talked about at D23. In any case, I'm glad I was able to ride Splash Mountain one last time when I went to Disneyland in late May for Star Wars Celebration.
Thank you for the attempt, but that idea just doesn't work for me. The idea of Facilier in the attraction at all really doesn't work for me, in spirit form or not.

I guess its just me, but the idea of bring back a dead antagonist (in spirit form or not) just for the attraction just to have some false sense of "danger" when there are other things that can be done, including introducing some new character, just doesn't work for me.

But if this is indeed the way Disney does go and they bring Facilier back, I hope it gets explained.

mharrington

Thank you for the attempt, but that idea just doesn't work for me. The idea of Facilier in the attraction at all really doesn't work for me, in spirit form or not.

I guess its just me, but the idea of bring back a dead antagonist (in spirit form or not) just for the attraction just to have some false sense of "danger" when there are other things that can be done, including introducing some new character, just doesn't work for me.

But if this is indeed the way Disney does go and they bring Facilier back, I hope it gets explained.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I'm just trying to figure out how they can justify the lift to the climactic drop, just as they did with Splash Mountain, where the Laughing Place helped set up the climax as well. Since the Laughing Place takes place underground, then it could seamlessly pass as a grave where bodies are buried.

And while I've never seen it, I've heard that the old Shrek 4D show at the Universal parks had a similar premise involving the ghost of Lord Farquaad (who, as you know, was eaten alive by the dragon at the end of the first movie) appearing to get revenge on Shrek.

Also, do we know who's going to voice Naveen, since Bruno Campos is pretty much guaranteed to not do it?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't know what's going to happen, but I'm just trying to figure out how they can justify the lift to the climactic drop, just as they did with Splash Mountain, where the Laughing Place helped set up the climax as well. Since the Laughing Place takes place underground, then it could seamlessly pass as a grave where bodies are buried.

And while I've never seen it, I've heard that the old Shrek 4D show at the Universal parks had a similar premise involving the ghost of Lord Farquaad (who, as you know, was eaten alive by the dragon at the end of the first movie) appearing to get revenge on Shrek.
I get what you're trying to do, and I appreciate it. But like I said it just doesn't work for me.

Also, do we know who's going to voice Naveen, since Bruno Campos is pretty much guaranteed to not do it?
No, it has not been said who is going to voice Naveed, or even if he will be a focus of the attraction so much to even have a voice at all. He could be more of a background character that doesn't need a voice sort of like Prince Eric in Ariel's attraction.

mharrington

No, it has not been said who is going to voice Naveed, or even if he will be a focus of the attraction so much to even have a voice at all. He could be more of a background character that doesn't need a voice sort of like Prince Eric in Ariel's attraction.

Well, the artwork does show Tiana and Naveen together in a boat, with Naveen rowing, so I would think they will do something with him.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well, the artwork does show Tiana and Naveen together in a boat, with Naveen rowing, so I would think they will do something with him.
Maybe, we'll have to wait and see.

But again if you look at Ariel's attraction, Eric is in several scenes include the boat scene too but doesn't have any lines, so no voice actor needed.

My take is the focus will be less on Naveen and more on Tiana and maybe Louis. I mean its not called Tiana and Naveen's Bayou Adventure, just Tiana's Bayou Adventure indicating that Naveen probably won't have much dialog if any at all.

Rich T

It’s a fantasy. Magic and voodoo are part of the PatF world, and spirits can stalk around among the living.

I mean, it’s a huge part of the movie. It drives the plot. Shadows come alive, animals talk and people turn into frogs. Dead fireflies become suns far out in space. Facilier returning would be just another day in this world.

I think it would be stranger if Facilier is NOT brought back, considering he and his song are the single most unforgettable scene from the film. He “came back” with no explanation in the Showbowboat Jubilee park show. If he’s not on the ride, guests will be disappointed (although disappointment does seem to be the main theme of Chapek Disney, so… *Shrug*.)

There‘s no time to introduce a new villain on a log ride; Splash 1.0 had problems just trying to communicate a simple Brer Rabbit tale. Everything has to be presented in broad strokes. It would be enough to simply warn guests that Facilier’s spirit haunts a particular corner of the bayou. That’s all the info we need to have a fun suspenseful trip up the big lift hill.

And at the top, Louis saves you by repelling the evil spirits with a huge blast from his trumpet! 😄

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It’s a fantasy. Magic and voodoo are part of the PatF world, and spirits can stalk around among the living.

I mean, it’s a huge part of the movie. It drives the plot. Shadows come alive, animals talk and people turn into frogs. Dead fireflies become suns far out in space. Facilier returning would be just another day in this world.

I think it would be stranger if Facilier is NOT brought back, considering he and his song are the single most unforgettable scene from the film. He “came back” with no explanation in the Showbowboat Jubilee park show. If he’s not on the ride, guests will be disappointed (although disappointment does seem to be the main theme of Chapek Disney, so… *Shrug*.)

There‘s no time to introduce a new villain on a log ride; Splash 1.0 had problems just trying to communicate a simple Brer Rabbit tale. Everything has to be presented in broad strokes. It would be enough to simply warn guests that Facilier’s spirit haunts a particular corner of the bayou. That’s all the info we need to have a fun suspenseful trip up the big lift hill.

And at the top, Louis saves you by repelling the evil spirits with a huge blast from his trumpet! 😄
I see your points, but it still just don’t work for me like I’ve said.

At this point until we know the plot (if he is indeed part of it) this is going to be something that just won’t make sense to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom