News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

TwilightZone

Looking at initial concept art, it's more themed to a bayou with a big tree on a hill rather than a "mountain". This should explain why the mountain name is gone. Not sure how much of this has changed since the original announcement, but I bet most of the idea is still intact.
1656737434223.png

EDIT Here's Splash mountain in a similar angle for fair comparison...interesting to note it also has a tree on top, but this tree is a dead one.
1656737586627.png

1656737717193.png

Heath

If the dead stump becomes a live full-size tree I would imagine it would have to be a lower profile one, maybe a willow or other low swamp variety, because the scale of the concept art is Tree of Life height lol. Adventureland would have its own weenie towering above Cinderella’s castle, and Big Thunder Mountain wouldn’t look very big or thundering.

Heath

Seems probable they keep the paddle boat in the final scene minus the zippity and do dah. (Only the happiest Disney song ever written). Disney is slick about hiding the movie, but extracting the song as heard in area music loops.

MagicHappens1971

Seems probable they keep the paddle boat in the final scene minus the zippity and do dah. (Only the happiest Disney song ever written). Disney is slick about hiding the movie, but extracting the song as heard in area music loops.
That is very very likely based on the concept art/description of the attraction

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Looking at initial concept art, it's more themed to a bayou with a big tree on a hill rather than a "mountain". This should explain why the mountain name is gone. Not sure how much of this has changed since the original announcement, but I bet most of the idea is still intact.
View attachment 650207

EDIT Here's Splash mountain in a similar angle for fair comparison...interesting to note it also has a tree on top, but this tree is a dead one.
View attachment 650208
View attachment 650211
Looks like they're going to completely change the scale of the mountain. Instead of making it look taller with forced perspective, they'll be trying to make it look as small as possible.

This is a stupid name for a ride that should not be replacing a popular attraction. The name is actually worse because of what it's replacing. I wouldn't mind the name so much if this were being built on an expansion pad.

The fact (if it is a fact) that they filmed the research trip two weeks after the date reveal proves that this was not planned whatsoever prior to 2020. And it kind of seems like they spent the next two years not doing anything. To the retheme apologists, how do you account for this long layoff? Doesn't this bode ill for a well-done attraction?

celluloid

This was announced in 2020, and is now opening in 2024. We still have nothing but two pieces of concept art, name, as well as a vague description. Even if this was thrown together last second, it’s still strange.

They didn’t even announce when Splash is closing, which I assume to be soon. The “research trip” is also really vague.

Not to d mention the ride dynamic is done and would just get a refurb and software overhaul.

Anyone who thinks hardware for this was done before the announcement is kidding themselves.

BrianLo

Genuine question.

Why does Disney need to respond in some big way to EU ASAP? UO is still playing catch up to Disney.

WDW has opened New Fantasyland, Galaxy’s Edge, Pandora, and many new attractions.

I genuinely don’t understand this line of thought?

It's a holdover from the Eisner mentality days. When there was more consistent knee jerk reactions to the competition. Mixed with wishful thinking that Disney will pull out another 5 billion dollars investment package.

Disney should do more, but I do agree that they actually had a pretty good recent run of new things that seem to slip people's minds. Some very excellent individual attractions out of Islands of Adventure, but I actually think the last 7 years go to Disney overall. The previous period to Universal.

Disney Analyst

It's a holdover from the Eisner mentality days. When there was more consistent knee jerk reactions to the competition. Mixed with wishful thinking that Disney will pull out another 5 billion dollars investment package.

Disney should do more, but I do agree that they actually had a pretty good recent run of new things that seem to slip people's minds. Some very excellent individual attractions out of Islands of Adventure, but I actually think the last 7 years go to Disney overall. The previous period to Universal.

A genuine focus over the next 10 years of additional attractions / capacity for the four parks (I’m speaking adding, not replacing), and I’d be pretty happy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom