Reservation expansion

correcaminos

serious question.... do alot of people park hop and actually get to their 2nd park prior to 2pm... i always get a park hopper and honestly probably only use it 2 days maybe 3 but i dont think ive ever gotten to my 2nd park that early... possibly on my last full day before leaving if there are some rides we want to hit up before ending the trip at MK but for most part always after 2pm.....
I assume you mean prior to covid? Yes we did. Often would have lunch elsewhere, especially if visiting MK or DHS.

mightynine

But they could just as easily charge the higher rate for all days.
But then they can't put the lower price on advertising.

Like how automobile manufacturers make a base model so they can put "Starting at $XX,XXX" on the marketing.

serious question.... do alot of people park hop and actually get to their 2nd park prior to 2pm
Sure, especially if it was our last day and we had a later flight. Start in EPCOT/MK, bounce over to the other, and then head back to the hotel and await the DME bus back to the airport.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I assume you mean prior to covid? Yes we did. Often would have lunch elsewhere, especially if visiting MK or DHS.
Yes pre covid. Okay. Just curious what the overall consensus as people making this a huge deterrent but never really saw an issue w it. Last year when i went in November we ended up just eating before heading to 2nd park if we were done w 1st

correcaminos

Yes pre covid. Okay. Just curious what the overall consensus as people making this a huge deterrent but never really saw an issue w it. Last year when i went in November we ended up just eating before heading to 2nd park if we were done w 1st
The problem is I find food choices in MK and DHS to be pretty poor. So now we are stuck having lunch at a resort and then going tick tock until 2pm. The thing is often we finish parks by 3 or so and want to swim and rest through the heat of the day then go back after 5 or so. It makes for the afternoon break to be really long this way. When I was visiting in November MK was stupid crazy and I got annoyed and left. With no where to really go I just hung out at my room until 2pm. Normally I'd just hop on the monorail and head to Epcot.

mmascari

serious question.... do alot of people park hop and actually get to their 2nd park prior to 2pm... i always get a park hopper and honestly probably only use it 2 days maybe 3 but i dont think ive ever gotten to my 2nd park that early... possibly on my last full day before leaving if there are some rides we want to hit up before ending the trip at MK but for most part always after 2pm.....
Yes. But, with the park reservation forcing the first park visit, we would have done it even earlier if possible.

Without a park reservation, perhaps less often, since we would just go to the first park we wanted.

With park reservation, there were 2 days we wanted to immediately hop, basically just tapping in and leaving the first park. Obviously, we had to wait until 2:00, but we didn't want to.

All of the different restriction and options interact to create different needs. We found that they're frequently at odds with each other creating an overall poorer experience than each limitation in isolation might suggest.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Yes. But, with the park reservation forcing the first park visit, we would have done it even earlier if possible.

Without a park reservation, perhaps less often, since we would just go to the first park we wanted.

With park reservation, there were 2 days we wanted to immediately hop, basically just tapping in and leaving the first park. Obviously, we had to wait until 2:00, but we didn't want to.

All of the different restriction and options interact to create different needs. We found that they're frequently at odds with each other creating an overall poorer experience than each limitation in isolation might suggest.
Yes agreed this all stinks and is complicated potentially w these new rules being floated around. I was just curious before covid and park hopping rules how many people actually got to 2nd park prior to 2pm. Like what do you think %wise of park hoppers entered earlier

Disney Glimpses

I honestly have no issue with the 2pm hopping rules with the exception of not being able to spend the morning at EPCOT and then head to MK (when staying at an EPCOT resort). That's really obnoxious and changes the landscape of many trips for us.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I honestly have no issue with the 2pm hopping rules with the exception of not being able to spend the morning at EPCOT and then head to MK (when staying at an EPCOT resort). That's really obnoxious and changes the landscape of many trips for us.
Why cant you go to Epcot and then head to MK at 2pm?

dreday3

We do a lot when we stay at Epcot resorts. Pop in for something to eat, ride a couple rides and then head to MK. This was of course when we booked fast passes at MK for early afternoon.

Or we hit MK at opening, leave by noon and take monorail back to Epcot to walk through and grab lunch before going back to hotel.

mmascari

Yes agreed this all stinks and is complicated potentially w these new rules being floated around. I was just curious before covid and park hopping rules how many people actually got to 2nd park prior to 2pm. Like what do you think %wise of park hoppers entered earlier
It's going to be very resort dependent. Anything with easy EPCOT/DHS access is much more likely to combine an early EPCOT or DHS and something else before 2:00 than other resorts.

It's easy to see how many more people staying at Boardwalk or even Pop would be way more likely to head into EPCOT or DHS for a meal or to rope drop that one ride, and then head on to another park before lunch. Compared to say, someone staying at All Star or Animal Kingdom lodge would head into AK for a quick one.

The transportation options and overhead are just different.

We literally went to EPCOT to get crapes for breakfast and then left to resort the morning. We would have gone to MK immediately if possible. For extra fun, we did eventually get to MK and on the way back at night went to DHS just for grilled cheese and then immediately left DHS. Both because we had super easy Skyliner access to the resort. If you need to hop a bus, it's a lot more effort to just pop into a park for less than an hour.

Chip Chipperson

If resort guests don't have to make reservations, doesn't that hurt the entire idea of being able to "control" amount of guests in each park?

For me personally, that wouldn't be an exciting perk. I want a monetary perk. :D

What if the lack of the "need" for a reservation comes with some ability to pre-book G+ selections (thus being an optional reservation and a perk for those who want it)? Disney still gets their data on which park you'll visit but the guests get the illusion of not having to reserve their park. I wouldn't bet money on this happening, but I won't complain if it does.

whiteness

DVC members with APs will have hybrid rules based on whether or not they are visiting with a resort reservation. Treated as a resort guest when on one, treated as an AP when not.

Edit: AFAIK, this wouldn't be limited to DVC members but all APs.
People staying at a resort will no longer need to make reservations, but APs will?

Disney Glimpses

We do a lot when we stay at Epcot resorts. Pop in for something to eat, ride a couple rides and then head to MK. This was of course when we booked fast passes at MK for early afternoon.

Or we hit MK at opening, leave by noon and take monorail back to Epcot to walk through and grab lunch before going back to hotel.
Heck, I'll even use EPCOT to get to DHS from a MK resort. Something about spending a little time at EPCOT every morning that is just so nice and really hits that Disney vacation vibe I'm looking for. Not being able to do that really stinks.

Disney Glimpses

World Showcase is great right when it opens. Fairly empty, peaceful.
Exactly!

And come to think of it, this is where Park Pass is hurting them and forcing the other parks to be busier than they normally would be. I visit EPCOT way less now than I would pre-reservation days. And I am not going to risk losing a MK reservation, so instead, I just skip EPCOT and go straight to MK.

mmascari

You can but I meant like, we'd typically eat breakfast, head into EPCOT around 10ish..walk through, maybe grab a coffee, ride Spaceship earth, take some photos and hop on the monorail to get to MK at 11. That's completely ruined now.

Heck, I'll even use EPCOT to get to DHS from a MK resort. Something about spending a little time at EPCOT every morning that is just so nice and really hits that Disney vacation vibe I'm looking for. Not being able to do that really stinks.
So much this.

Staying at a monorail resort is devalued since you cannot transit EPCOT to get to DHS. (minor)
Staying at an EPCOT resort (including all the Skyliner resorts too) is devalued since you cannot transit EPCOT to get to MK (minor), and you cannot eat in EPCOT prior to 2:00 unless that's your park for the day (major).

You can at least still dinner at EPCOT and end all your days at EPCOT from those resorts. But, that just incentivizes making all your park passes for "Not EPCOT".

The Skyliner was awesome. It felt like the best and easiest park access, and to two parks. Then it was completely handicapped by the 2:00 restriction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom