Peephole in Epcot bathroom?

roj2323

OK people I've seen this thread for the last few weeks and figured someone else would have given a reasonable explanation for what's going here but that's obviously not happened.

As a former WDW custodian I have seen the backside operations of the bathrooms on more than one occasion. Essentially you have the side the guests sees and then on the other side of the tile and concrete backer board is usually a steel stud wall which all of the plumbing is fixed to. These areas are usually no more that 2ft wide (most are narrower) with plumbing coming off of both walls leaving a very narrow walkway. Essentially there is NO way to get down one of these corridors without getting covered in dust and cobwebs
which would be impossible to hide in a white custodial costume and in most cases these are behind a locked door inaccessible by daytime operations cast. Additionally you have to keep in mind that the point in the wall where this hole was found is one of the weaker areas of the wall and the bathrooms essentially get high pressure hosed down every single night. There's literally nothing nefarious going on here, just a maintenance issue of some loose tile getting washed away and not being repaired before the next day.

lazyboy97o

Additionally you have to keep in mind that the point in the wall where this hole was found is one of the weaker areas of the wall and the bathrooms essentially get high pressure hosed down every single night.
Why would that be a weak point? How does a pressurized water work through tile and board at that particular point?

roj2323

What is gross is that many I see after using the mens room don’t even bother to wash their hands. Not just in WDW
The women's restrooms are well known for being the dirtier of the two. The reason is simple. Women typically have to deal with kids who often have bad aim, and wet hands they just shake dry after sloppily washing them. There's also the issue of Sanitary products which some women will flush which inevitably causes backups. The bathrooms by Tower Of Terror usually had issues with this about once a month because there's a dip in the sanitation drain pipe that's buried under something they can't easily move.

roj2323

Why would that be a weak point? How does a pressurized water work through tile and board at that particular point?
Well if you think about it, that's where the drain pipe is going through the wall. The pipe is round, yet the supports behind the backer board are framed as a square if there are any at all. This leaves the backer board unsupported. This combined with being hosed down every night and the normal flexing that happens whenever someone plops their butt on the toilet causes that area the wear apart faster than the rest of the walls.

lazyboy97o

Well if you think about it, that's where the drain pipe is going through the wall. The pipe is round, yet the supports behind the backer board are framed as a square if there are any at all. This leaves the backer board unsupported. This combined with being hosed down every night and the normal flexing that happens whenever someone plops their butt on the toilet causes that area the wear apart faster than the rest of the walls.
The assembly of wall hung fixtures has been explained repeatedly. There are even photos annotated by an architect showing the process.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

A found this after a bit of Googling:

full

I’m still struggling to understand why a gap resulting from improper installation is as unlikely as some here claim.

lazyboy97o

A found this after a bit of Googling:

full

I’m still struggling to understand why a gap resulting from improper installation is as unlikely as some here claim.
Because it would be multiple gaps in a very small, specific area where gaps should not exist. Shoddy work doesn’t cause neat failures. Materials respond and fail in certain ways. There are patterns in how people cut corners. Ignoring the rather big differences between how commercial and residential work is done, this image very clearly shows a tile that was improperly cut to accommodate the carrier. It does not just show a random small cut . The photo also doesn’t appear to show a corresponding hole in the substrate nor is one mentioned, and that is something that would be a big deal.

LittleBuford

Shoddy work doesn’t cause neat failures.
I guess I don't see it as neat. To my eyes, it looks like someone tried unsuccessfully to caulk over a gap that has subsequently become exposed with time.

Here's another TikTok video allegedly showing a different Epcot toilet with gaps that shouldn't be there:

Link to video

If this toilet is indeed in Epcot (the video offers no proof of that), shoddy workmanship could very well be the culprit in the case of the other toilet also.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I guess I don't see it as neat. To my eyes, it looks like someone tried unsuccessfully to caulk over a gap that has subsequently become exposed with time.

Here's another TikTok video allegedly showing a different Epcot toilet with gaps that shouldn't be there:

If this toilet is indeed in Epcot (the video offers no proof of that), shoddy workmanship could very well be the culprit in the case of the other toilet also.

It’s neat in that all of this poor work aligned in one very specific spot.

This video has clues that point to poor work. These gaps are around an area where a hole should exist to accommodate the electrical box that houses the flush sensor. It looks like tile broke because it lacked backing. You can see the jagged edges where each tile broke top to bottom, not just a small isolated portion of the top of the tile. Towards the end you can even see what looks like the cut edge of the substrate, too far from the electrical box.

LittleBuford

It’s neat in that all of this poor work aligned in one very specific spot.
The spot in question does not appear to be conducive to peeping, which is why I still feel shoddy workmanship, rather than dubious intent, is the cause of what we’re seeing. Indeed, the gaps in the second video would seem to offer a far better means of spying on the user (assuming the space behind the toilet can accommodate a potential peeping tom).

Goofyernmost

The spot in question does not appear to be conducive to peeping, which is why I still feel shoddy workmanship, rather than dubious intent, is the cause of what we’re seeing. Indeed, the gaps in the second video would seem to offer a far better means of spying on the user (assuming the space behind the toilet can accommodate a potential peeping tom).
Sure, but there is nothing more exciting then a conspiracy driven by paranoia. It's the newest thrill ride in WDW. I'm thinking about investing in aluminum foil. There has to be an enormous call for tin foil hats out there.

lazyboy97o

You say that as though a peeper is going to start by doing sightline studies. You keep falling back to that without explanation regarding the workmanship. You’ve been provided with multiple explanations of how these systems work but you don’t like the implications so you wave it away as something else that can’t be defined. Does it mean nothing that multiple people who are familiar with how restrooms are built, including architects, who have provided specific explanations, documents and annotated photos, find this suspicious? We’re all wrong because of undefined reasons of poor workmanship?

The second gap is easier to see through and it could be used for such a purpose. But how it broke as a result of poor work can also be seen, most notably the tile broke across the entire tile and. It just in one small area.

The whole point of a chase with access like Disney builds is so someone can get in there. That’s why you spend the extra money on using up more space, a door and extra carriers. If you didn’t want access you could be build a smaller chase using double carriers.

LittleBuford

You say that as though a peeper is going to start by doing sightline studies. You keep falling back to that without explanation regarding the workmanship. You’ve been provided with multiple explanations of how these systems work but you don’t like the implications so you wave it away as something else that can’t be defined. Does it mean nothing that multiple people who are familiar with how restrooms are built, including architects, who have provided specific explanations, documents and annotated photos, find this suspicious? We’re all wrong because of undefined reasons of poor workmanship?

The second gap is easier to see through and it could be used for such a purpose. But how it broke as a result of poor work can also be seen, most notably the tile broke across the entire tile and. It just in one small area.

The whole point of a chase with access like Disney builds is so someone can get in there. That’s why you spend the extra money on using up more space, a door and extra carriers. If you didn’t want access you could be build a smaller chase using double carriers.
At the end of the day, we’re all just guessing as to what’s going on. There is no definitive proof one way or the other. You think it’s a deliberately created peephole, I think it’s an accidental gap. It’s not a question of “lik[ing] the implications” of your explanation: I’m perfectly willing to acknowledge the presence of peepholes and other unsavoury things in this awful world we live in, even in the Most Magical Place on Earth. I just don’t buy the idea that that particular hole in that particular toilet is anything more untoward than a construction and/or maintenance issue. That doesn’t make me a denialist; it just means I happen to disagree with you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom