Trip Report Readers Chick Chat and Guy Gabbing Thread!

Loco_driver

WeatherUnderground shows we topped out at 104 today. It’s now a lovely 96 with humidity rising. We are on the ERCOT grid. So far so good, but we know how that goes 🙄

This has been shared a lot lately to illustrate our weather…pretty accurate description!

Super Mario Bros 3 Sun GIF
I jinxed it. I now sit at home with no power and therefore no A/C.
key and peele summer GIF

Loco_driver

Nooooooo!!!!! Not that there’s ever a good time of year for it, but this really isn’t it. Have they given an estimated time for restoration? Hope it’s soon.
They didn’t give a time. Just said that they were aware of the outage and were working on it. The other substation that went down is back up, so hopefully it won’t be too long now. Luckily a little pop up summer shower just came through and cooled it off a little.

Update: they came back on after approximately three hours of being out.

Last edited:

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Question for any fellow T Reporters who can answer this.
Is there a reason not to go to Aulani in September or October?
I see a fair amount of availability in those 2 months and that makes me suspicious!
What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

EllieBadge

That was probably footage from the part that's remaining closed all Summer. The northern entrance near Gardiner Montana is inaccessible. The road is completely washed away in spots, and they aren't sure they are going to rebuild it, because it would be vulnerable to similar occurrances. But anything north of Norris and Canyon is staying closed. We'll get to see Old Faithful, and I think Grand Prismatic is in that Southern loop as well. Artist point and Inspiration point (viewing spots for the Upper and Lower falls) are right at Canyon, so I'm not sure if those will be open or not. So we're going to have to go back sometime to see the rest. But we already paid for flights and it's non-refundable, and E has to do a work experience for school in an English-Speaking environment, so she's going to work in my brother's restaurant. If it weren't for those two things, we might cancel. If our flight gets canceled, it's a moot point, and then we'll have to find something else for E to do for her work thing.

I'm not really sure what to hope for. On the one hand, Yellowstone might be less crowded if a bunch of people cancel their plans to go there. I've already altered my itinerary to accommodate the alternating license plate system, but there may be a lot of people who decide to just cancel their trips, which would make it a good time to go. And I haven't seen my best friend for 9 years and have been looking forward to this trip just to get to see her. On the other hand, it's kind of a waste of money if we're going to just have to redo the trip some other time. So now I don't know what to hope for. But then, who knows when Yellowstone will be completely open. If it takes several years to rebuild those roads or come up with an alternative if they decide not to rebuild, then I can't exactly plan another Yellowstone trip for next year if this one gets canceled. :banghead:
I'm a lurker, not a regular poster, but we just got back from what was supposed to be a Yellowstone Trip so I thought I'd check in. We were already en route from Kentucky, and we were supposed to be checking into Yellowstone for six nights the day after the closure was announced. We were already in Custer State Park, so we needed to come up with a plan B. At the tail end of our trip, the reopening of Yellowstone was announced. The reopening date was the day we were supposed to be headed back home, but we had come this far, so we decided to book one night at Old Faithful Inn and see what we could do in a day. As far as we could tell, everything on the South Loop was open. We were able to do Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic, Artist Point, and dinner at Lake Lodge. We drove the entirety of the South Loop, so we also did Hayden Valley by default. Both Old Faithful and Grand Prismatic were mobbed. We ended up doing the Grand Prismatic Overlook, which is a 1.5 mile hike, instead of walking the boardwalk around Grand Prismatic. While parking for the trail was terrible, judging by the crowds on the boardwalk, this was definitely the way to go if you can tolerate the hike and want to avoid the mobs. I don't know if it was simply the time of day, but once we were away from Old Faithful and Grand Prismatic, the crowds were much more manageable. While my experience is very limited, if you have any questions just ask!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
I'm a lurker, not a regular poster, but we just got back from what was supposed to be a Yellowstone Trip so I thought I'd check in. We were already en route from Kentucky, and we were supposed to be checking into Yellowstone for six nights the day after the closure was announced. We were already in Custer State Park, so we needed to come up with a plan B. At the tail end of our trip, the reopening of Yellowstone was announced. The reopening date was the day we were supposed to be headed back home, but we had come this far, so we decided to book one night at Old Faithful Inn and see what we could do in a day. As far as we could tell, everything on the South Loop was open. We were able to do Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic, Artist Point, and dinner at Lake Lodge. We drove the entirety of the South Loop, so we also did Hayden Valley by default. Both Old Faithful and Grand Prismatic were mobbed. We ended up doing the Grand Prismatic Overlook, which is a 1.5 mile hike, instead of walking the boardwalk around Grand Prismatic. While parking for the trail was terrible, judging by the crowds on the boardwalk, this was definitely the way to go if you can tolerate the hike and want to avoid the mobs. I don't know if it was simply the time of day, but once we were away from Old Faithful and Grand Prismatic, the crowds were much more manageable. While my experience is very limited, if you have any questions just ask!
Thank you for sharing!
I've never been to Yellowstone and I have a hard time visualizing it crowded. All I can picture are mountains and buffalo! 🤣

Zipadeelady

Since I just went ahead and booked for the end of Sept. I'm really glad to hear that! 🤣
We're going to fly to Sac spend a day and then fly with Aleisha, Julio and Una girl from there to Honolulu. (Doesn't that sound exotic, Honolulu)!:D Only 6 nights, but hey.
I'm so excited for you! Please right a report!! Joe and I are wanting to take a trip to Hawaii and I don't even know where to start to try and figure out which island, resort, Aulani or not, how long, excursions? We don't plan on going until 2024 so that we can save up and not have to skimp on anything but it seems so intimidating to figure everything out. I guess if I can figure out Disney then Hawaii should be a piece of cake.

Songbird76

I'm so sorry your plans got changed like that!! I'm so glad to know we can get to Artist point....that's one I really want to take pictures of! Was it difficult to get a reservation at Old Faithful Inn? I thought everything was booked up. Did they just cancel everyone's reservations or we're you able to snap up a reservation someone else canceled? The big things I want to see are Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic, and Artist Point. I wanted to see Mammoth, but that is supposed to be closed off indefinitely. I'd be happy with any of the thermal pools really....wouldn't have to be Grand Prismatic, but I think that's the one that's easiest to get to. My son and my husband aren't hikers, so I don't think they will be willing to do the overlook.

Songbird76

Thank you for sharing!
I've never been to Yellowstone and I have a hard time visualizing it crowded. All I can picture are mountains and buffalo! 🤣
To be fair, that's most of Wyoming, not just Yellowstone. I grew up across the highway from the Durham Buffalo ranch. I could look out my window and see Bison most of the year, and on a clear day, you could see the Bighorn Mountains. There are a lot of both mountains and Bison in Wyoming.

cgersic

Hi everybody! Cindy asked me to post some photos of the Princess Room (maybe called a Royal Room?) from Riverside as she hadn't heard of or seen the rooms. So here we gooooo....
Looking across the room from the door:
IMG_0101.jpg
A screenshot of the video of the fireworks in the headboard going off:
IMG_0325.PNG
Ornate vanity with specks of pixie dust in the blue part of the vanity:
IMG_0328.PNG
This is embedded in the table at entry:
IMG_0326.PNG
The beautiful fountain at the front of the building that faces the river:
IMG_0117.jpg
Quick boat trip to French Quarter for breakfast:
IMG_0120.jpg
Back to Riverside to enjoy the day by the pool before heading home:
IMG_0125 (1).jpg
This is SUCH a great resort and now I know why @riverside loves it so much!

Attachments

• IMG_0325.PNG
    IMG_0325.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
@imahistorygeek and @lostpro9het I thought of you yesterday. We drove to the beach which is a barrier island so it is accessible by boat, ferry or a car over the bridge which is what we did. When we got to the top of the bridge we saw this
A0358DC6-C7D5-4DAC-9535-0A51E4D5CA06.jpeg
My husband says, “is that a cruise ship?”
If it is it is the biggest one I ever saw and I thought you two would have a great time on a ship that big.
Btw, it’s a cargo ship and there were four of them, anchored and full and many many miles from the port😯

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Hi everybody! Cindy asked me to post some photos of the Princess Room (maybe called a Royal Room?) from Riverside as she hadn't heard of or seen the rooms. So here we gooooo....
Looking across the room from the door:
View attachment 648902
A screenshot of the video of the fireworks in the headboard going off:
View attachment 648909
Ornate vanity with specks of pixie dust in the blue part of the vanity:
View attachment 648910
This is embedded in the table at entry:
View attachment 648911
The beautiful fountain at the front of the building that faces the river:
View attachment 648912
Quick boat trip to French Quarter for breakfast:
View attachment 648913
Back to Riverside to enjoy the day by the pool before heading home:
View attachment 648914
This is SUCH a great resort and now I know why @riverside loves it so much!
It's our favourite also.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
@imahistorygeek and @lostpro9het I thought of you yesterday. We drove to the beach which is a barrier island so it is accessible by boat, ferry or a car over the bridge which is what we did. When we got to the top of the bridge we saw this
View attachment 648915
My husband says, “is that a cruise ship?”
If it is it is the biggest one I ever saw and I thought you two would have a great time on a ship that big.
Btw, it’s a cargo ship and there were four of them, anchored and full and many many miles from the port😯
Biggest ship we will see this year visiting our isle is this

It's Mahoosive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom