Ok Honest Question here about Cosmic Rewind

jpinkc

Original Poster
Ok was told this ride is making people Motion Sick, and its very common. Is this really true? I didnt think it was supposed to be a very aggressive ride? Is this really a thing or not?

donsullivan

Premium Member
Ok was told this ride is making people Motion Sick, and its very common. Is this really true? I didnt think it was supposed to be a very aggressive ride? Is this really a thing or not?
Whenever something like this pops up, everyone want to go crazy and 'highlight' all the people getting sick. While it seems indisputable that some are getting sick, this is an attraction that when operating at full peak, can move 2,000 or more guests per hour. I would guess that the actual percentage of guests with that experience is EXTREMELY LOW- it just gets publicized more. It's no different than when you see negative reviews of a product on the Internet- people feel compelled to tell about their negative experience but the thousands of positive experiences don't have even the same energy.

jpinkc

Original Poster
My wife had read it and we have friends who are going (though we told them not to, which is a first for us) this will be there first time. They were asking us but it wasnt open at Thanksgiving and so I just thought I would ask here. My wife cant do Everest anymore due to motion sickness. 😢 So just wondering as I was under the impression it would not have had any issues really.

Po'Rich

I rode this back in May, and I have to say that it is a very intense rollercoaster. I don't know if it would be considered intense if we measured speed, g-force, etc, but what makes it intense is how disorienting it is. With most coasters, you are heading forwards. There may be loops, corkscrews, etc, but you stay forwards. With Everest, you head backwards after a clear stop and then shift back forwards at some point. With this ride, you can be riding backwards, forwards, or sideways seamlessly. I loved it, but my DW found it a bit too much. She was actually shaking when she exited. So, I can see how people may experience motion sickness on the ride.

gitchard

The cars don't spin with the direction of the train itself.

I think the issue is that the train can be going one way and with the car rotating in an unnatural direction, it is throwing some people off.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

I had not realized exactly what the attraction was going to entail until I was able to watch what I believe is more like a recreation of it so it was not just dark etc.
It would appear that not only is it a coaster but there's projections AND the cars turn separate of the track to give the full view of the projections.
To me its almost like a simulator on a roller coaster.
I think I'd be ok with it but am worried about my sister.
We are hoping to get a VQ our first night which is a deluxe resort night. We'll eat a light dinner and if it makes us sick we will leave and not feel like we wasted much time vs if we had ridden it earlier in the day and felt sick.

Disstevefan1

It depends on the individual. Some folks require very little to trigger motion sickness.

correcaminos

We had some huge motion sickness people with us. Cannot do Star Tours or MF well. EE makes them queasy without meds. First time they rode they had meds and were fine. 2nd and 3rd time they did not and were fine. It's hard to guess. They knew to look at the track if having any hint of issues. Stay away from the back rows. I found front to be most just coaster feel vs even middle.

I only saw one woman ask for a motion sickness bag. None were on the cars like MS

jpinkc

Original Poster
Thanks for the info I will pass it along. I kept reading this would be a "family coaster" like 7DMT, but it seems to be a bit more than that. I honestly didnt expect it to be as aggresive as Tron will be but sounds like the additional motion makes it such.

gitchard

Thanks for the info I will pass it along. I kept reading this would be a "family coaster" like 7DMT, but it seems to be a bit more than that. I honestly didnt expect it to be as aggresive as Tron will be but sounds like the additional motion makes it such.
I have ridden it. It is not really that aggressive.

I really think that it is the train is going in one direction but the car is turning in an unnatural direction in relationship to the train. I believe that is confusing your eyes and inner ear causing a disorientation that is causing the motion sickness.

MattC

Whenever something like this pops up, everyone want to go crazy and 'highlight' all the people getting sick. While it seems indisputable that some are getting sick, this is an attraction that when operating at full peak, can move 2,000 or more guests per hour. I would guess that the actual percentage of guests with that experience is EXTREMELY LOW- it just gets publicized more. It's no different than when you see negative reviews of a product on the Internet- people feel compelled to tell about their negative experience but the thousands of positive experiences don't have even the same energy.
This.

vikescaper

My sister sometimes gets motion sick on certain rides but she didn’t have any issues the three times we’ve been on this. I haven’t really seen anybody get sick, either, but I know it is possible.

correcaminos

I have ridden it. It is not really that aggressive.

I really think that it is the train is going in one direction but the car is turning in an unnatural direction in relationship to the train. I believe that is confusing your eyes and inner ear causing a disorientation that is causing the motion sickness.
I agree it isn't aggressive or really all that intense. It really has to do with the motion and the turning of the car towards things. As a whole otherwise it is pretty tame. Not 7DMT tame but I get more air time and such on BTM than I do on this one. Definitely not as intense as EE or RnR to me. Granted I come from a background of riding coasters at amusement parks so my definition of tame is slightly skewed.

dreday3

I'm starting Bonine 2 nights before we leave and taking it every night of the trip. Worked like magic for me on a very rocky cruise, but that's the only time I've taken it. I've only felt sick on Smugglers Run and I got over it once I got off the ride. Everest made me a bit funny last trip, but I attribute it to being super hot, super hungry and wearing a mask so I didn't feel the air on my face.

Gonna try and buy LL for Cosmic Rewind for our arrival night, take our chances and if I feel sick after, just hobble back to Beach Club and medicate myself with french fries and wine. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom