What will Disney announce for Disney World at the 2022 D23 expo?

RSoxNo1

You're absolutely right. Epic is a great step in the right direction, but Universal is missing those family dark rides/entertainment offerings that cater to all.

IOA is a calm boat ride (or omnimover) & indoor show away from dethroning MK as "the park" in Orlando.
USF needs to remove its older simulators and add improve some of the park areas.
We'll be down in Florida in November, and my in laws have passes that are blacked out at WDW one day but not in Universal for that same day. The determining factor for what we do that day is how tall my toddler is. If she's 36 inches, there will be enough for her to do that we can justify a one day Universal park hopper for my wife and I.

Some odd / frustrating things:
  • Kong has a height requirement of 36 inches, Fast and Furious has a height requirement of 40 inches.
  • The High in the Sky Suess Trolley train has a height requirement of 36 inches. I understand why, but nothing in that land should have a height requirement.
  • Cat in the Hat has a height requirement of 36 inches. Again, poor design choice setting them up with a height requirement.
It's small and I understand that the under 3 crowd isn't paying for admission, but their parents are. By not having attractions that everyone can do together, Universal is leaving money on the table.

JoeCamel

We'll be down in Florida in November, and my in laws have passes that are blacked out at WDW one day but not in Universal for that same day. The determining factor for what we do that day is how tall my toddler is. If she's 36 inches, there will be enough for her to do that we can justify a one day Universal park hopper for my wife and I.

• Kong has a height requirement of 36 inches, Fast and Furious has a height requirement of 40 inches.
  • The High in the Sky Suess Trolley train has a height requirement of 36 inches. I understand why, but nothing in that land should have a height requirement.
  • Cat in the Hat has a height requirement of 36 inches. Again, poor design choice setting them up with a height requirement.
It's small and I understand that the under 3 crowd isn't paying for admission, but their parents are. By not having attractions that everyone can do together, Universal is leaving money on the table.
Take them to Legoland for a day then park them with the grandparents while you enjoy Universal.....
It doesn't need to cater to everyone, it has a different role to fill than princess town down I-4 and the money will still come. They are shooting for that expense account money

EricsBiscuit

You’re honestly better off not doing F&F

TwilightZone

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
  • July 3, 2015: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 has reported that the portion of the $3 billion+ budget coming to Walt Disney World that will be allocated to Epcot could be used for upgrades at the Energy Pavilion and Imagination Pavilion.
  • March 19, 2016: In a follow up post on WDWMagic.com user WDW1974is reporting that Disney is looking to overhaul Tower of Terror at Disney’s California Adventure with a Guardians of the Galaxy theme. The area near Tower of Terror in California has previously been rumored to become a Marvel themed area. In a subsequent post he explained that the concept would be a visit to The Collector’s mansion. Per his report, the overhaul is being seriously considered for Disney’s Hollywood Studios as well.
  • April 19, 2016: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 is reporting that while the budget for this project hasn’t been approved for Fiscal Year 2017 it is, “almost a done deal for Anaheim and still likely for Orlando.”
  • June 13, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that it looks like the Tower of Terorr project is dead for Orlando.
  • June 28, 2016: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 is reporting that Guardians of the Galaxy is likely headed to one of two pavilions in Epcot’s Future World.
  • June 29, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that Guardians of the Galaxy will be replacing Ellen’s Energy Adventure. Additionally, a potential Phase 2 could expand the Guardians of the Galaxy area to include the Wonders of Life area as well.
  • August 5, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that alternative proposals do exist related to Guardians of the Galaxy and The Great Movie Ride.
  • October 27, 2016: WDWMagic.com user WDW1974 is reporting that Guardians of the Galaxy is no longer being considered as a replacement for Ellen’s Energy Adventure.
  • October 29, 2016: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 is reporting that his sources have told him that Guardians of the Galaxy has been green lit for the Energy Pavilion.
  • November 19, 2016: At the D23 “Destination D” event, Chairman of Disney Parks and Resorts, Bob Chapek stated that the Tower of Terror at Walt Disney World will not be rethemed to Guardians of the Galaxy.
  • May 26, 2017: On the latest episode of the Unofficial Guide’s Disney Dish podcast, Jim Hill discusses the permit for work taking place behind the Ellen’s Energy Adventure Pavilion and describes it as the first move of a $2 billion investment into Epcot. The project is expected to take at least 5 years extending beyond 2021.
  • July 5, 2017: On the July premium episode of the Unofficial Guide’s Disney Dish podcast, Jim Hill mentions that the re-routing of canals is directly related to the Guardians of the Galaxy attraction. The layout would call for a new facility housing the attraction behind the existing Universe of Energy/Ellen’s Energy Adventure Pavilion. The current building would be used predominantly for load/unload and a gift shop.
  • July 8, 2017: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 indicated that the alternate proposal for an Ellen’s Energy Replacement was themed around the Big Bang.
  • July 15, 2017: At the 2017 D23 Expo, Disney officially confirmed that a Guardians of the Galaxy Attraction will replace Ellen’s Energy Adventure.
Wow what a mess compared to the rest! They really went into it with no plan. Oddly the perfect ride to be replaced by GOTG doesn't seem to have been looked at (Rock and rollercoaster)

GCTales

Its just a spinner so not much footprint but if there was a will they could change it out. As you say it is fine and there are many other priorities that need addressing before it.
How they would market their whiz bang restaurant without it though?

There’s a pretty sizable basement under Mission: SPACE housing the equipment that makes it do that spinning.
There is some very hefty infrastructure under MS to support the centrifuges
  • major concrete with major metal framing to handle the torque and twisting forces generated
  • the diesel electric train size motors and gear boxes to provide the acceleration / spinning
  • Large gear box to change the direction of the spinning on the motor to the on the cetrifuge
The above takes up about 1/3 to 1/2 of the footprint under each centrifuge.

Andrew25

At this point I’d be happy if they just announced each park is getting benches and umbrellas

I'd love new rides in the long-term, but they desperately need to improve the guest experience in the short-term.

They need to add seating to Creations ASAP and shade structures throughout the parks - it's getting way too hot.

They need to make covered walkways between the parking lots/buses and park entrances.

djkidkaz

WDW needs a big response. Parks and Experiences is still doing fairly good with all things considered so I have some optimism. Especially with so little spending for the 50th. With the removal of free fast passes, termination of the Magical Express and price hikes, they definitely need some good news for fans. Plus, like said earlier, Chapek needs to deliver 'big news' to strengthen his leadership appeal or he may be facing a swift departure. Below is what I believe are realistic announcements that could be introduced at D23 as they relate to just the US Parks.

EPCOT: More info about the re-Imagineering of the park. Hopefully some news on Play Pavilion and the Festival Center. I think there is a good chance we see one more surprise project since the crews are already on site. Could be one already announced and now green-lit again (Spaceship or Mary Poppins), or something new like Figment overhaul or Encanto.

Magic Kingdom: Do we finally see a Lilo and Stitch replacement or Speedway switchover to Electric Cars? My hunch is that Wreck it Ralph will overtake the Stitch building. I can also see a new large scale 100 year parade announced. Wild card here would be Frozen Land expansion.

Animal Kingdom: DAK is next on the list as far as Capital Investment. I can definitely see a new E-ticket announced for Dino land. Maybe even Excavator or total re-theme of area. I also see a new land/expansion announced. Could go many different directions: Zootopia, Indy, South America, etc. Will include another E-Ticket. Wild card - Updated or Alternate version of Pandora Avatar with new films on the way. Prob not going to happen but DAK needs a Lion King Dark ride. I mean come on, how can Lion King not be at DAK. Construct large Pride Rock façade and then a trackless dark ride using Hong Kong Beauty and Beast tech for attraction.

DHS: Not much here. Some stuff on Fantasia and maybe the future of Rockin' Roller Coaster. Wild Card here would be a new Indy Attraction to create a land next to stunt show. Could use the Shanghai boat ride tech for this new attraction. New film on the way! Also, could see Animation Courtyard overhaul but I think that is further down the line.

Out west: Updates on new Toon Town, Tron coming to Disneyland and the confirmation of Marvel E-ticket attraction coming. Maybe some small stuff on Disneyland Forward project.

I appreciate your optimism, but the company just cut back on numerous projects like the festival center and outright cut out a bunch of projects like Mary poppins ride and the spaceship earth redo. They wouldn’t be scaling back on all those costs only to then come forward and announce a bunch of new stuff.

What I expect is a super lackluster D23 this year with the majority of it being updates on projects overseas that are already in progress. For us, I think we will get info on the downgraded festival center area, an update on play pavilion and what new attraction is coming to blizzard beach.

castlecake2.0

I'd love new rides in the long-term, but they desperately need to improve the guest experience in the short-term.

They need to add seating to Creations ASAP and shade structures throughout the parks - it's getting way too hot.

They need to make covered walkways between the parking lots/buses and park entrances.
Agreed. For so long most operations have just been trying to, well, operate. The Covid ripples are still causing lots of issues across property. Leaders need to take a step back and go re their operations and see how they can improve the experience. Shade and seating should be a top priority, and I wish more guests and cast would speak up about it.

JoeCamel

Agreed. For so long most operations have just been trying to, well, operate. The Covid ripples are still causing lots of issues across property. Leaders need to take a step back and go re ***** their operations and see how they can improve the experience. Shade and seating should be a top priority, and I wish more guests and cast would speak up about it.
They used to have shade structures in the parks, Bob cut them down

RSoxNo1

As I continue to complain about Universal's height requirements. Yoshi's Adventure in Tokyo has a 48" height requirement. Another horrible design choice.

ChrisM

MK most def underperforms on food. Between the places that just aren’t very good and the places that seem perpetually closed when we’ve been there, it’s dead last for me when ranking the 4 parks, even though it should be a solid 2nd place behind Epcot. Never had a bad meal at Confisco, but they were struggling a bit in the service department when we were last there a couple weeks ago.

Confisco's food is usually solid, but the BLT is elite.

Was there in March and agree with the service. In fact, from a service perspective it was one of the strangest experience's I've ever had at a restaurant anywhere. The waitress almost seemed afraid to do her job.

Amidala

I love me some IOA, but that’s a bold statement.
IOA is great (definitely preferable to UO in terms of theming, at least for me) but lacks the timelessness of MK. Port of Entry, Lost Continent, Hogwarts/Hogsmeade and Jurassic Park are all beautifully themed and will stand the test of time, but I cringe a bit every time I walk through Seuss Landing and Toon Lagoon. Even Marvel Superhero Island is showing its age imo. Universal has been adding a lot of truly fantastic areas & attractions, but I think it's about time they start revisiting and retheming existing areas that no longer work.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
IOA is great (definitely preferable to UO in terms of theming, at least for me) but lacks the timelessness of MK. Port of Entry, Lost Continent, Hogwarts/Hogsmeade and Jurassic Park are all beautifully themed and will stand the test of time, but I cringe a bit every time I walk through Seuss Landing and Toon Lagoon. Even Marvel Superhero Island is showing its age imo. Universal has been adding a lot of truly fantastic areas & attractions, but I think it's about time they start revisiting and retheming existing areas that no longer work.
As long as Comcast is still “into it” when the new park and hotels open - I think you’ll see large and accelerated reinvestment in the two older parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom