News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

mightynine

And when the discounts start.

It wouldn't be good to those signed up to pay $5.5K to see future cruises priced at $4K. They would probably have to be at the end of profitable booked cruises to start the discount.
I think they would just pull back on the number of cruises first before offering discounts.

Or maybe offer the potential discount only to previous guests.

corran horn

And when the discounts start.

It wouldn't be good to those signed up to pay $5.5K to see future cruises priced at $4K. They would probably have to be at the end of profitable booked cruises to start the discount.
I feel like Disney has done that before with other things and the previous guests just had to swallow it. It happens.

SplashJacket

I think they would just pull back on the number of cruises first before offering discounts.

Or maybe offer the potential discount only to previous guests.
I hadn’t thought about it, but there’s really very little downside (other than reduced profit) to skip a random week during the year.

Cruise lines could theoretically do the same, but regardless of sailing guests, they still must maintain costly ship infrastructure and feed the crew.

They can literally just close it down and it costs nothing but potential revenue loss.

If bookings do actually slow enough and demand>supply, they can just shut it down for a week to lower costs, and push those people to surrounding cruises. Lot more profitable to have one star cruises with 100% occupancy than two with 50% occupancy.

Indy_UK

Agreed, where thing like Gas and Groceries rising in price effects everyone, even trips on the Galatia Starcruiser will become a 2nd thought to quite a few

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Does that mean no cruises are becoming newly fully booked, or does that mean one new cruise is becoming booked every two days (duration of a cruise).
The former.

The number of two day cruises being marked as fully booked slowed down last month and recently stopped increasing in number.

Theoretically, they could still be getting lots of new bookings, but they're all spread out. Or no one's booking the $8K grand suites and so the cruise is still technically not fully booked.

Or, they're just not getting new bookings like they used to.

UNCgolf

Or, they're just not getting new bookings like they used to.

If I was betting, this would be my bet. It always felt like something that would be sold out for the first few months and then start to taper off, even if it was an amazing experience (and it is apparently quite good). It has a relatively small customer base at the current price point -- people who can both afford it and also care enough about Star Wars to want to spend 2 days in a Star Wars LARP. There are a ton of Star Wars fans, but who knows what percentage of them both want that kind of experience and can actually afford it.

With that said, inflation, gas prices, etc. is certainly part of it too. People who may have been able to stretch their funds just because they desperately wanted the experience are probably unable to do so at the moment.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

There never was, there isn't now and there will not be hordes of Star Wars fans queued up to have the Galactic Star Cruiser experience at the current pricing level. All reviews actually speak well of the experience except the pricing. Participating guests / travelers that have done the experience, regardless of how many times, continuously admit it is expensive. I say get rid of the ridiculous valet parking requirement and redo the pricing model to something actually reasonable. How about developing Star Wars vacation packages in conjunction with the various on property resorts where the 2-day experience is part of the overall stay at a particular resort? A good concept, good experience presented and advertised poorly, and way overpriced.

corran horn

If I was betting, this would be my bet. It always felt like something that would be sold out for the first few months and then start to taper off, even if it was an amazing experience (and it is apparently quite good). It has a relatively small customer base at the current price point -- people who can both afford it and also care enough about Star Wars to want to spend 2 days in a Star Wars LARP. There are a ton of Star Wars fans, but who knows what percentage of them both want that kind of experience and can actually afford it.

With that said, inflation, gas prices, etc. is certainly part of it too. People who may have been able to stretch their funds just because they desperately wanted the experience are probably unable to do so at the moment.
We had a great time but I can't see doing it again with the same storylines in place - instead of doing what came naturally we'd be cherry-picking things to do in storylines we hadn't yet done.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

We had a great time but I can't see doing it again with the same storylines in place - instead of doing what came naturally we'd be cherry-picking things to do storylines we hadn't yet done.

I've thought that would be a problem from the beginning -- that even if it's great it would probably struggle to get repeat customers unless they completely change the storylines.

That's certainly doable, but it would require a lot of work and I'm not sure Disney is interested. I think it's more likely they'll slash the price than come up with a whole new storyline that requires retraining a bunch of cast, potentially adding/changing effects, etc., but even then they'll eventually have to do something different.

corran horn

I've thought that would be a problem from the beginning -- that even if it's great it would probably struggle to get repeat customers unless they completely change the storylines.

That's certainly doable, but it would require a lot of work and I'm not sure Disney is interested. I think it's more likely they'll slash the price than come up with a whole new storyline that requires retraining a bunch of cast, potentially adding/changing effects, etc., but even then they'll eventually have to do something different.
I thought about this when there was a floated idea around changing the eras - what in terms of assets would need to be changed? Some datapad things and scannables, scripts and cast to a certain extent - changing some of the video assets to Empire from First Order - it wouldn't be impossible and I imagine it's why there, on the face of it, isn't TOO much tied into any particular era or storyline. It all could've been the Empire/Vader.

MagicHappens1971

I thought about this when there was a floated idea around changing the eras - what in terms of assets would need to be changed? Some datapad things and scannables, scripts and cast to a certain extent - changing some of the video assets to Empire from First Order - it wouldn't be impossible and I imagine it's why there, on the face of it, isn't TOO much tied into any particular era or storyline. It all could've been the Empire/Vader.
I think as time goes on they will have no choice but to change the story. Although if you have done it you will know that it is nearly impossible to experience every storyline/ending/experience on one cruise. I’d give it at least another year or two before they invest money into completely changing to the story. Maybe plussing the existing story

corran horn

I think as time goes on they will have no choice but to change the story. Although if you have done it you will know that it is nearly impossible to experience every storyline/ending/experience on one cruise. I’d give it at least another year or two before they invest money into completely changing to the story. Maybe plussing the existing story
we would do it again in 2-3 years if they did that.

I'm aware of the storylines I missed (we spent no times with Sajas so the Jedi path wasn't gonna happen) but it'd feel like cheating if I cherrypicked it, to be honest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom