News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Phicinfan

If I were to play armchair-imagineer in redesigning Tomorrowland - any of this would never happen of course.
  1. Remove COP and bring it to Epcot. It's essentially a mid-20th century nostalgia hit. I love this attraction but doesn't belong any more.
  2. Reroute the Peoplemover to go around the perimeter of the land instead - going through SM and Tron. It blocks too many sitelines now. Coming in to the land from the Hub there are basically 3 tracks of the ride blocking your view of Tron which will probably be the central piece to the land visually.
  3. Astro Orbitor is fine, but I'd probably move it to where CoP is now.
  4. Buzz/MILF/Stitch changed to something else.
  5. Nothing can be done with the speedway now with the Tron placement. I wouldn't remove it because it has capacity, but we're stuck with it now because anything else put here blocks Tron unless something can be set into the ground a bit with some kind of outdoor ride like Barnstormer or Mine Train.
  6. Move the Space Mountain gift shop to the other side of the attraction.
If Tron wasn't opening, the only reason to do Tomorrowland would be either Space Mountain or nostalgia classics like CoP or Peoplemover.
So how exactly does COP fit in Epcot? Especially with the "new design" of Epcot. I get that COP does not fit in Tomorrowland, but I don't see the fit in Epcot either. IASW I can at least see the global aspect and move it to Epcot, but not COP.
Rather see it got to DHS, and rebuild the history section with the movie about Walt, and the Museum.
Buzz needs upgrade, but if moved would love to see it in DHS in TSL instead, as an addition - yes another shooter but it still helps capacity.
MILF - again DHS move would be best, really expand the TSL area if you could find space for it.

Then you have three slots for expansion, but no idea if they will ever or could ever take advantage of it.

No Name

The Tokyo announcement out of nowhere gives me hope someone will eventually see the light.

I'm thinking that might happen once Space Mountain's demand completely drops off. In its current state, it's literal trash compared to both Guardians and Tron. Very easy comparisons to make, and it won't take long for most WDW coaster fans to figure it out.

I say this as someone who loves the standard versions (not Hyperspace) in DL/HKDL and Paris. Tron too, even if it's not Cosmic Rewind.
Its demand will never drop off.

Here is the light ‘show’ testing from a different angle giving a better view inside the canopy.

I like how egregiously upbeat it is.

JD80

I highly disagree with 1-3 especially 2 and 3. Why would you move Astro orbiter? Might not be my favorite ride but it belongs in the middle of the land and on top of the peoplemover. Don’t want to make Disneylands mistake again.

I'm assuming Tron is going to be the centerpiece of the land, Astro Orbiter gets in the way. Still have the people mover attached to it though. The People Mover tracks are terrible for sitelines for the new Tron ride.

JD80

I don't think the PeopleMover is the main reason views of TRON are blocked. It doesn't help, but there are a bunch of other buildings in the way.

I also don't think they're especially concerned about the views of TRON or they would have designed it differently for the Magic Kingdom instead of putting it where they did the way they did.

I wouldn't put it past them they just found a space and put it there and disregarded everything else. But yes, those building are in the way. Don't disagree with that.

JD80

The parks need kinetics and having the PM go around the perimeter of TL would lose that. Tron was a copy-paste when it should've been designed for the land instead of being plopped down in a bad spot. Don't blame the PM for blocking Tron, blame WDI for sticking it where it's going.

They could've done it right but instead just lifted the Shanghai design (including the canopy meant for a specific sightline).

Besides, who'd actually trust the company to re-route the PM? I know I sure wouldn't.

I do agree about the kinetics and I haven't put any thought behind the reroute of the tracks, but this is my basic point, if you're walking in through the hub, there are three tracks blocking your vision of tron. Unfortunately Tron is in the worst spot you could think of!

1656013513732.png

Here's what I had in mind for the tracks if I was doing this. May Astro isn't exactly where CoP is now but whatever.

1656013753040.png

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Nothing can be done with the speedway now with the Tron placement. I wouldn't remove it because it has capacity, but we're stuck with it now because anything else put here blocks Tron unless something can be set into the ground a bit with some kind of outdoor ride like Barnstormer or Mine Train

I dunno... I think replacing it with a clone of TDS's Aquatopia could work. It's low enough to not interfere with Tron, provides great kinetics, and would be easy to update to fit the aesthetic of Tron. Though matching the capacity of the speedway would be tough.

Rich Brownn

I do agree about the kinetics and I haven't put any thought behind the reroute of the tracks, but this is my basic point, if you're walking in through the hub, there are three tracks blocking your vision of tron. Unfortunately Tron is in the worst spot you could think of!

View attachment 648279

Here's what I had in mind for the tracks if I was doing this. May Astro isn't exactly where CoP is now but whatever.

View attachment 648281
Oddly enough, the original plans for the PeopleMover did call for it to cross over the speedway like that

J4546

IF they built a new space mountain like japan, i doubt they would include people mover tracks and shorten the track, expanding sight lines a lot

Attachments

• pm.jpg
    pm.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 87

JoeCamel

IF they built a new space mountain like japan, i doubt they would include people mover tracks and shorten the track, expanding sight lines a lot
How they could look at that image and put rectangular boxes in that space baffles me. It was designed with circles not jarring angles.

lazyboy97o

I personally prefer a land that is layered, that forces you to dive in, explore, and find things.

The placement of Tron does not bother me at all. I just worry about the walkway between autopia and the gift shop.
How is worry different from being bothered? And what layers did they add. The incredibly expensive canopy is it. Beyond is just a warehouse.

Space Mountain includes maintenance facilities for the PeopleMover. The idea of reducing another attraction to fix the problems created by the hurried, poor planning a project that cost hundreds of millions of dollars is ridiculous.

Disney Analyst

How is worry different from being bothered? And what layers did they add. The incredibly expensive canopy is it. Beyond is just a warehouse.

Space Mountain includes maintenance facilities for the PeopleMover. The idea of reducing another attraction to fix the problems created by the hurried, poor planning a project that cost hundreds of millions of dollars is ridiculous.

The layer is adding Tron to the back, behind the PeopleMover, Autopia, etc. It's not some prominent weenie, but will be pretty cool to see as you get closer and closer.

The discussion in here was that the PeopleMover being in front, is an issue, and I don't agree.

Incomudro

The layer is adding Tron to the back, behind the PeopleMover, Autopia, etc. It's not some prominent weenie, but will be pretty cool to see as you get closer and closer.

The discussion in here was that the PeopleMover being in front, is an issue, and I don't agree.
I agree.
It's not important for me to see it all from afar.
Walking in, and around and having a reveal is sometimes better for me.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom