News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

drizgirl

This doesn't happen. New attractions don't increase attendance enough to offset the capacity increase (barring building an attraction with abysmally low capacity) because the parks already stay packed almost year-round now. Even Galaxy's Edge didn't do that.
Plus the initial spike eventually settles down. Which is why Disney hesitates to add more. They prefer to play shell games with line skip schemes to distract from the root problem.

lazyboy97o

Just silly , I can get onboard with a different type of attraction , but to add something new, aesthetically pleasing , and impressive to a virtually empty space is nothing to complain about. This thing is gonna be a hit for a long time
Theme parks are a designed experience. Just dropping in warehouses should not be “great” because of under investment intended to push crowding.

UNCgolf

It’s a bit more complicated than that. Induced demand is very real thing and does have implications at WDW parks.

If you're suggesting it has an effect on operations in other ways, then sure, I have no trouble believing that (shifting guests to a different park, changing park hopping patterns, etc.). But when people suggest that opening a new ride means there will suddenly be 20,000 more people in the park every day, that's just not true.

It may have been true at some point in the past, but Disney attendance is high throughout the year now -- and there haven't been any openings in the past decade that moved the attendance needle enough to outweigh the capacity addition.

Last edited:

Disney Glimpses

If you're suggesting it has an effect on operations in other ways, then sure, I have no trouble believing that (shifting guests to a different park, changing park hopping patterns, etc.). But when people suggest that opening a new ride means there will suddenly be 20,000 more people in the park every day, that's just not true.

It may have been true at some point in the past, but Disney attendance is high throughout the year now -- and there haven't been any openings in the past decade that moved the attendance needle enough to outweigh the capacity addition.
Especially in the current VQ era. Sure back in the day people would rush to the park and get in line and clog up everything. But now, it's basically business as usual with 10-15k people scheduled to ride throughout the day.

And FWIW, attendance right now is actually pretty low comparatively. Guardians just opened and crowds are actually pretty pleasant at EPCOT (despite Guardians being utilized to 100% capacity everyday).

Cmdr_Crimson

Theme parks are a designed experience. Just dropping in warehouses should not be “great” because of under investment intended to push crowding.
Works well for Six Flags...😏

The_Dark_Knight_Coaster_at_Six_Flags_Great_Adventure.jpg

UNCgolf

Guardians just opened and crowds are actually pretty pleasant at EPCOT (despite Guardians being utilized to 100% capacity everyday).

I think this is partially due to what I've pointed out elsewhere-- Guardians just doesn't attract as many potential riders as other attractions due to its nature (this will also be true for TRON). WDW draws more guests that aren't interested in coasters than other parks, so there's a smaller percentage of guests who care about Guardians than even about a nominally lesser ride like Ratatouille.

There doesn't seem to be any excess of guests who are going to EPCOT specifically to ride Guardians but can't get on -- everyone who really wants to ride doesn't have any trouble getting on.

peter11435

I don’t know anywhere where people have suggested numbers as high as 20k (Or even the 15k you had before editing). The most recent addition that truly moved the needle was Pandora which saw DAK entertaining roughly 8k+ additional guests per day. And while you are correct that the attractions of Pandora can more than accommodate those 8k guests it doesn’t exactly work that way. The rest of the parks attractions and infrastructure needs to be able to support those guests as well. And Pandora (and the resort of the park) is not only servicing that additional 8k but also the existing attendance base pre Pandora. Just because guests now have the ability to ride flight of passage doesn’t mean they suddenly don’t want to ride Kilimanjaro Safaris.

UNCgolf

I don’t know anywhere where people have suggested numbers as high as 20k (Or even the 15k you had before editing). The most recent addition that truly moved the needle was Pandora which saw DAK entertaining roughly 8k+ additional guests per day. And while you are correct that the attractions of Pandora can more than accommodate those 8k guests it doesn’t exactly work that way. The rest of the parks attractions and infrastructure needs to be able to support those guests as well. And Pandora (and the resort of the park) is not only servicing that additional 8k but also the existing attendance base pre Pandora. Just because guests now have the ability to ride flight of passage doesn’t mean they suddenly don’t want to ride Kilimanjaro Safaris.

That's a good thing, though, not a bad thing. That still leads to a better overall experience for the average guest. Even if it doesn't lower wait times at other attractions, there are still more things to do in the park.

It would only be a bad thing if the park's infrastructure couldn't handle the attendance increase, or if it actually lead to such a significant increase that it caused large wait time increases throughout the park. That certainly wasn't the case for Animal Kingdom -- especially considering Pandora also added infrastructure -- and it's definitely not the case for EPCOT either.

It could potentially be the case for Magic Kingdom, since they still have dining locations closed most of the time, but that's also why I and others have repeatedly pointed out that the parks need additional dining/shopping capacity as well. It's not solely about attractions.

Last edited:

sileic

I'm new to these parts so sorry for saying something that I imagine has been covered a million times. While I am pumped to ride Tron and Guardians a little bit of me does cringe at the huge boxes that are visible from so many sightlines. Seems to be a 'thing' now. Ratatouille while the least noticebale is the most jarring given it is in a park where in the past Disney went to the time and expense to build the back of a ride in a different theme park a certain way so that even from far away it wouldn't look out of place when seen from just a few places in Epcot.

mlayton144

They're referring to recent additions like TRON, Cosmic Rewind, and Ratatouille (and even Galaxy's Edge and Pandora), all of which feature large, unthemed warehouses in full view from guest-accessible locations.

I get it , they cut corners on hiding more unsightly areas , most of which are from the outside of the park. I am resigned to this. Does this same poster complain about this approach with universal , etc? When you go there , much of what you see is twisted metals coaster tracks and warehouses - Disney is still be far the best.

James Alucobond

I get it , they cut corners on hiding more unsightly areas , most of which are from the outside of the park. I am resigned to this. Does this same poster complain about this approach with universal , etc? When you go there , much of what you see is twisted metals coaster tracks and warehouses - Disney is still be far the best.
This is what has for many years been a key differentiator for them. That they have cared so little on so many recent projects is worrisome, and that they are still better simply by virtue of what already existed is not exactly encouraging. I really, really hope that at some point they take a step back and better mask some of these structures. It's not reached the point of being unfixable, but they're seriously unsightly.

TrainsOfDisney

Actually.... universal is moving in the opposite direction as Disney. The newer additions are excellently themed with older additions (rip ride rockit being the worst offender in my book) being the eye-sores.

James Alucobond

Some people will tell you that Velocicoaster is well themed and fits in perfectly. Even if you accept the theme argument (and I really don't, but that's a separate discussion) it's still an eyesore that detracts from the surrounding area for me.
Hopefully Disney just generally cools it with coasters at this point since they seem to have become especially awful at hiding the associated boxes. Every non-Magic Kingdom park now has one or two (Cosmic Rewind, Slinky Dog, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest), and Magic Kingdom has several tiers for folks of varied levels of adventurousness, from Barnstormer to Seven Dwarves to Big Thunder to Space Mountain to TRON.

UNCgolf

Hopefully Disney just generally cools it with coasters at this point since they seem to have become especially awful at hiding the associated boxes. Every non-Magic Kingdom park now has one or two (Cosmic Rewind, Slinky Dog, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Expedition Everest), and Magic Kingdom has several tiers for folks of varied levels of adventurousness, from Barnstormer to Seven Dwarves to Big Thunder to Space Mountain to TRON.

I'm hoping they look at Guardians vs. Rise of the Resistance and even Ratatouille and realize that while the occasional coaster is okay, other kinds of attractions are more valuable to their business.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom