News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

mlayton144

Yep. A non-family coaster has a limited rider base compared to most Disney rides (see Guardians, which is relatively easy to get on even as a brand new attraction featuring a popular IP), and the fact that it's so short exacerbates the issue.

It's obviously better than adding nothing -- no argument there. But it was one of the worst options for adding needed capacity to the MK. The Main Street Theater would have been a much better use of money.

I hear you , but personally I think it’s gonna pull people away from the mountains (you know - the ones with the longest waits) - this is what MK needs. God the last thing in the world we need is a theater playing Disney movies , live entertainment seems to be a dubious proposition as well with current management

TheMaxRebo

Yep. A non-family coaster has a limited rider base compared to most Disney rides (see Guardians, which is relatively easy to get on even as a brand new attraction featuring a popular IP), and the fact that it's so short exacerbates the issue.

It's obviously better than adding nothing -- no argument there. But it was one of the worst options for adding needed capacity to the MK. The Main Street Theater would have been a much better use of money.

Well, we were supposed to get both which would have been a nice complement/mix

yensidtlaw1969

I hear you , but personally I think it’s gonna pull people away from the mountains (you know - the ones with the longest waits) - this is what MK needs. God the last thing in the world we need is a theater playing Disney movies , live entertainment seems to be a dubious proposition as well with current management
The Main Street Theater was going to be built to house large-scale live stage shows, similar to the Hyperion Theater at DCA. It wasn't going to play Disney movies.

EricsBiscuit

Perhaps GotG isn’t hard to get on because they actually built a ride with a great capacity?

raymusiccity

Perhaps GotG isn’t hard to get on because they actually built a ride with a great capacity?
I think it's because there's a motion sickness factor involved. It's similar to the Mission Space issue that forced them to add a non-spinning side to the attraction. Maybe they can add a stable coaster loading platform to GotG. :greedy:

TrainsOfDisney

Outside of AK which they can't change much as it has animals, the other 3 parks are one and the same. Full of whatever IP they can market. They have really lost touch on what made Disney Disney.
Agreed. The fact they could build an entire land and make no changes and plop it down in Disneyland Park and Hollywood Studios is a bit telling.

In any case I like Tron better than some trees and a berm so it’s a win in my book.
I’m not sure if I do. That was the best place to watch the steam trains work up the one small grade at the park. Was a nice
charming area. The addition has just been plopped down with little thought.
29BFE015-F30F-43CF-A347-75705D1903B4.jpeg

EricsBiscuit

Agreed. The fact they could build an entire land and make no changes and plop it down in Disneyland Park and Hollywood Studios is a bit telling.

I’m not sure if I do. That was the best place to watch the steam trains work up the one small grade at the park. Was a nice
View attachment 646841
There’s many other great places and you’ll still be able to use that area, just to a lesser extent. The monorail station is actually another beautiful spot. TSI is my favorite. Nothing like watching the steam trains, steamboat, and BTMRR while on a rocking chair!

TrainsOfDisney

There’s many other great places and you’ll still be able to use that area, just to a lesser extent. The monorail station is actually another beautiful spot. TSI is my favorite. Nothing like watching the steam trains, steamboat, and BTMRR while on a rocking chair!
I do enjoy those rocking chairs! But the Tomorrowland pathway is really the only place where you get to hear the engines work at all. It also helps that they have often just taken on water and / or been serviced and will often open up the cylinders when departing Fantasyland (or maybe they were just doing that for me? :)

You are right that the path is still there, but it certainly won’t be the same.

UNCgolf

Guardians has good capacity, but it's not like it has even remotely enough for everyone who visits the park to ride in a day.

It has enough for the people who want to ride it, which is my entire point -- it has a smaller rider base.

Last edited:

Captain Barbossa

do enjoy those rocking chairs! But the Tomorrowland pathway is really the only place where you get to hear the engines work at all. It also helps that they have often just taken on water and / or been serviced and will often open up the cylinders when departing Fantasyland (or maybe they were just doing that for me? :)

You are right that the path is still there, but it certainly won’t be the same.
Not to mention that that was the best place to catch the engineers showing off their whistling skills while approaching Tomorrowland Crossing.

curry767

I think the general consensus is that is isn't necessarily adding much needed capacity to the worlds busiest theme park. MK desperately needs a people eater to relieve the crowding a bit and TRON doesn't fit that description. It's also a VERY short ride, again not helping with capacity issues.

Would you have preferred they did nothing instead?

If they were to build the sort of ride you are talking about, then all they would do is allow more people into the park and it would do nothing to elivate the over crowding you refer to.

I don’t get what all the negativity is about - a new ride that didn’t exist before within a really impressive space - looks really fun and a great add

Unfortunately that could be applied to a lot of this forum these days. Not sure if it is COVID blues or what but certainly a lot more negativity on here these days.

TrainsOfDisney

I probably would have. I definitely would have preferred a new electrical parade and the announced Main Street theatre as well as an attraction replacement for stitch.

Maybe they could have done a Mandolorian attraction in there with baby yoda!?

UNCgolf

If they were to build the sort of ride you are talking about, then all they would do is allow more people into the park and it would do nothing to elivate the over crowding you refer to.

This doesn't happen. New attractions don't increase attendance enough to offset the capacity increase (barring building an attraction with abysmally low capacity) because the parks already stay packed almost year-round now. Even Galaxy's Edge didn't do that.

peter11435

This doesn't happen. New attractions don't increase attendance enough to offset the capacity increase (barring building an attraction with abysmally low capacity) because the parks already stay packed almost year-round now. Even Galaxy's Edge didn't do that.
It’s a bit more complicated than that. Induced demand is very real thing and does have implications at WDW parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom