Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Homemade Imagineering

I have had my worst experiences of all visiting the park over just the past couple weeks. It’s an understatement to say that show elements are constantly either stagnant or visibly broken. On my last ride through on IASW, a visible amount of dolls were missing, alongside visible paint chipping on the set pieces. Barely anything was working properly on Indiana Jones, and the amount of frequent breakdowns throughout the day was jarring. Not to mention capacity seems to be a nightmare with so much being closed for refurbishment during the summer season, coupled with an influx in guests.

el_super

I agree that rides sometimes run with minor imperfections. It happens. But to let these imperfections go on and on without being addressed used to be unacceptable. They should be fixed ASAP, even if it means closing the ride for an hour.

What if it's more than an hour? Or more than a day?

What about just shutting down the whole park until they hire enough maintenance people? And if that never happens, is it worth just permanently closing Disneyland to hold onto this idea of "unacceptable" show quality issues?

And let's not pretend that some people here wouldn't be complaining that too many rides are closed and animator ics being removed for maintenance isn't also a sign of bad maintenance.

Reality of park maintenance has just changed, period. It's easier and cheaper to find technicians that know how to fix video projectors than it is to find people capable of fixing 50 year old robot geese.

If people really had a problem with that, they would stop going, but they continue to go.

Kirby86

Yes, it is, according to Disney, or at least it once was. Show elements are show elements, no matter if one is an animatronic and another is projection mapping. I can’t speak for other rides, but one show element for Fantasyland dark rides is 100% working animatronics. Assuming that this is the case for all rides with animatronics, then a frozen goose is just as bad as Lincoln’s face falling off.

I agree that rides sometimes run with minor imperfections. It happens. But to let these imperfections go on and on without being addressed used to be unacceptable. They should be fixed ASAP, even if it means closing the ride for an hour.
The issue is they let the small imperfections go for to long. Disney used to understand that the longer you took to fix it not only does the problem get more noticeable and usually they get more expensive to fix later. Now they do maybe the bare minimum.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
The issue is they let the small imperfections go for to long. Disney used to understand that the longer you took to fix it not only does the problem get more noticeable and usually they get more expensive to fix later. Now they do maybe the bare minimum.
Yes, exactly. For me, the biggest issue is not that things break. That’s bound to happen, of course. It’s that they seem to let too much time pass before they finally decide to fix things nowadays.

CaptinEO

I was literally there in May, just barely a month ago, and it was in better shape than Indiana Jones. NOTHING was working in Indy. NOTHING. The lighting wasn't working, the scrim effects, the boulder, absolutely nothing. It was an absolutely pitiful experience. On Haunted Mansion, I got the Haunted Mansion holiday audio in the Doom Buggy going backwards into the grave yard not once, but twice, and there were several gags not working on top of that. both my rides on Smuggler's Run were pathetic--the screens were faulty and glitched and at least one person's controllers weren't working. The entire park is falling apart, it's not just Splash. They built the ugly mall of AC, and they have a 4th rate Spider-Man ride, and spent a kazillion dollars on it. But you're right, people are paying almost $200 for things in just pitiful states of being. I don't even think they're going to take care of the overlay, I think after about a year, they're just going to let that rot, too.
This is crazy. I think we need a "maintenance thread" so people can discuss this.

Dear Prudence

What if it's more than an hour? Or more than a day?

What about just shutting down the whole park until they hire enough maintenance people? And if that never happens, is it worth just permanently closing Disneyland to hold onto this idea of "unacceptable" show quality issues?

And let's not pretend that some people here wouldn't be complaining that too many rides are closed and animator ics being removed for maintenance isn't also a sign of bad maintenance.

Reality of park maintenance has just changed, period. It's easier and cheaper to find technicians that know how to fix video projectors than it is to find people capable of fixing 50 year old robot geese.

If people really had a problem with that, they would stop going, but they continue to go.
Their video projectors aren't even working on brand new rides most days, home slice. Robot Geese or not, this is is doomed. Defending Disney at this point is as hopeless a cause as Save Splash Mountain.

Midwest Elitist

Their video projectors aren't even working on brand new rides most days, home slice. Robot Geese or not, this is is doomed. Defending Disney at this point is as hopeless a cause as Save Splash Mountain.
It makes me feel less bad about Splash Mountain if the whole company is going to ****. Personal silver lining.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

A foolproof barometer for determining when it's time to shut down an attraction for repairs:

Will children notice and be disappointed if this specific AA/effect is broken? Will it be the first thing they say when the ride vehicle pulls into the station? If so, it's 100% time to close the ride.

"The [Indy] boulder was broken!"

"Awww, there was no [Big Thunder finale] explosion!"

"Their [projected Cars'] mouths were all messed up!"

"Where were the [hitchhiking] ghosts?"

SuddenStorm

I think it comes down to capacity. In the past when they were closing down attractions for one AA the parks weren’t slammed.

It also depends which AA isn't working. Disneyland has always had missing AA's on rides like Pirates- but if it's a 'major' one- like say, an Indiana Jones AA- then the ride shouldn't operate.

Which makes it interesting that Splash is operating with a missing Br'er Rabbit, and lights on other Br'er figures not working right now.

Last edited:

Professortango1

Yes, it is, according to Disney, or at least it once was. Show elements are show elements, no matter if one is an animatronic and another is projection mapping. I can’t speak for other rides, but one show element for Fantasyland dark rides is 100% working animatronics. Assuming that this is the case for all rides with animatronics, then a frozen goose is just as bad as Lincoln’s face falling off.

I've never seen, in my 30+ years of going to Disney, park management treat a minor broken effect or character the same as a major broken effect or character. If this change did occur, it happened prior to the early 80's as I have seen rides with down elements running all of my life.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I've never seen, in my 30+ years of going to Disney, park management treat a minor broken effect or character the same as a major broken effect or character. If this change did occur, it happened prior to the early 80's as I have seen rides with down elements running all of my life.
Just because you haven’t seen it, it doesn’t mean it’s never happened.😉 I’m not disputing that rides don’t operate perfectly all the time. They don’t. It’s definitely possible that everything is working 100% when the CMs open the ride and so a show check in the morning, and then as the day passes, something stops working. That’s normal and happens a lot. What I’m saying is that Disney, at least when I worked there, used to take care of the problems within a timely manner, sometimes immediately when it was feasible and realistic, and would not let the problems linger for days or weeks or months.

I’m a previous Attractions CM. I’m speaking from personal experiences. I was trained that all animatronics had to be working for show to be acceptable. Each dark ride has unique show elements (for example, the fireworks and twinkling star in Pinocchio), but 100% working animatronics was one show element that was consistent throughout all the dark rides. If the CM doing the morning ride-through noticed that Pinocchio or either of the dancing marionettes were not working, or any of the other moving animatronics, they reported it to the lead, who would then call maintenance to come and fix it. The ride wouldn’t open. Maybe the Fantasyland standards were higher.🤷🏾‍♀️

KIGhostGuy

I went to Disneyland in March for the first time since 2013 and was shocked at the number of broken show elements. I was there for two days, and both days the hitchhiking ghosts in the mirrors at the end weren't on. Like at the end, you just turned and looked at yourself in the mirror. I was with a first-timer, and felt so embarrassed after talking up the Haunted Mansion to him for so long, only for him to ride it and the finale not be working. How on Earth could anyone be okay opening a ride like that, and operating it in that condition for (at least) two days?? It's the finale of the ride!!

Also worth noting that when the ride was built in 1969, they DID include a backup effect: https://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2010/04/hitchhikers-in-mirror.html . It must have been removed, what a shame, something is better than nothing in that scene.

Professortango1

Just because you haven’t seen it, it doesn’t mean it’s never happened.😉 I’m not disputing that rides don’t operate perfectly all the time. They don’t. It’s definitely possible that everything is working 100% when the CMs open the ride and so a show check in the morning, and then as the day passes, something stops working. That’s normal and happens a lot. What I’m saying is that Disney, at least when I worked there, used to take care of the problems within a timely manner, sometimes immediately when it was feasible and realistic, and would not let the problems linger for days or weeks or months.

I’m a previous Attractions CM. I’m speaking from personal experiences. I was trained that all animatronics had to be working for show to be acceptable. Each dark ride has unique show elements (for example, the fireworks and twinkling star in Pinocchio), but 100% working animatronics was one show element that was consistent throughout all the dark rides. If the CM doing the morning ride-through noticed that Pinocchio or either of the dancing marionettes were not working, or any of the other moving animatronics, they reported it to the lead, who would then call maintenance to come and fix it. The ride wouldn’t open. Maybe the Fantasyland standards were higher.🤷🏾‍♀️

I was speaking more broadly about show elements rather than just AA's, but I know when I was a little spoiled brat of a kid, we'd visit the park daily at some points in the summer and Splash was my ride and I'd report that the spinning dog in Laughing Place was still broken day to day or that a certain Goose was still down. And this was in the late 80's/early 90's. A few years later I became just as hyperfocused on Indy and tracking the ice effect and rat log on the daily.

Dear Prudence

that the spinning dog in Laughing Place
...has been broken since the dawn of time. I think I had only seen it working once or twice. It is absolutely pitiful. You can always here some little kid asking "why is this broken?"

I swear if that dog stays still broken even with the PATF version. 😂 they can rebrand him as Stella!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom