Most Underrated Attraction

DfromATX

You know what some smart person said a long time ago... "Those who don't know what's been, proly gonna eff things up again." šŸ¤£ That's not an exact quote, but somethin' like that.
Well, I did go to school... I guess I should say I didn't appreciate it at the time. Some of it is interesting, but not the president attraction. :p

Pepper's Ghost

Well, I did go to school... I guess I should say I didn't appreciate it at the time. Some of it is interesting, but not the president attraction. :p
Shows you how different everyone is, right? I love learning more about American history. My favorites are not just the myths of who those men were, but who they really were. Like Benji Franklin... what a fascinating figure. We were taught about the statesman in school, but it wasn't until after school and watching documentaries that you learn about the pervert. šŸ˜ Love watching those documentaries and mini-series. I know they aren't necessarily 100% accurate, but it's still fascinating to see what it was like to a large degree.

That said, Hall of Presidents is my favorite accidentally found attraction. On my first ever visit to WDW in the 90s with my then girlfriend (and eventual wife), she did a bunch of research, and I was just along for the ride not knowing what to expect really. I recall equating it to a "really big Six Flags". Boy I was wrong. Anyway, during one of those mid-afternoon flash thunderstorms, we ran for cover and ducked into the HoP. It was basically empty, and we looked around before we finally got into the theater. She didn't know anything about the HoP either. While watching a projection show of cartoon pictures about the history of America, I leaned over to her and said something like "this is REALLY LAME for Walt Disney World." It wasn't more than a few seconds later that the stage lit up and curtain lifted to my utter amazement. I believe my next words when I leaned over to her was "this is frickin' AWESOME!" šŸ¤£

DfromATX

Shows you how different everyone is, right? I love learning more about American history. My favorites are not just the myths of who those men were, but who they really were. Like Benji Franklin... what a fascinating figure. We were taught about the statesman in school, but it wasn't until after school and watching documentaries that you learn about the pervert. šŸ˜ Love watching those documentaries and mini-series. I know they aren't necessarily 100% accurate, but it's still fascinating to see what it was like to a large degree.

That said, Hall of Presidents is my favorite accidentally found attraction. On my first ever visit to WDW in the 90s with my then girlfriend (and eventual wife), she did a bunch of research, and I was just along for the ride not knowing what to expect really. I recall equating it to a "really big Six Flags". Boy I was wrong. Anyway, during one of those mid-afternoon flash thunderstorms, we ran for cover and ducked into the HoP. It was basically empty, and we looked around before we finally got into the theater. She didn't know anything about the HoP either. While watching a projection show of cartoon pictures about the history of America, I leaned over to her and said something like "this is REALLY LAME for Walt Disney World." It wasn't more than a few seconds later that the stage lit up and curtain lifted to my utter amazement. I believe my next words when I leaned over to her was "this is frickin' AWESOME!" šŸ¤£
I have to say I never knew the pervert part... ewww. I will have to look into that. My main take away from your story is that you have a great memory of your first visit! I think it's also nice that you and your wife shared that experience. If it makes you feel any better, I do love to read historical fiction. They usually involve romance set somewhere like in WWII so not sure if that counts ha ha!

Speaking of Six Flags, so we are bringing my mom and nephew next January for their first visit. My mom (and brother) have had to listen to us talk about Disney for years and now I finally am getting the chance to share it with her - my brother doesn't want to go but he's letting us take his son lol. Anyway, we are planning on 4 days, one day for each park. My mom said she can't even imagine "what we will do for 4 days at an amusement park." She said she is envisioning being at Astroworld (Six Flags in Houston) for 4 days...

Pepper's Ghost

I have to say I never knew the pervert part... ewww. I will have to look into that. My main take away from your story is that you have a great memory of your first visit! I think it's also nice that you and your wife shared that experience. If it makes you feel any better, I do love to read historical fiction. They usually involve romance set somewhere like in WWII so not sure if that counts ha ha!

Speaking of Six Flags, so we are bringing my mom and nephew next January for their first visit. My mom (and brother) have had to listen to us talk about Disney for years and now I finally am getting the chance to share it with her - my brother doesn't want to go but he's letting us take his son lol. Anyway, we are planning on 4 days, one day for each park. My mom said she can't even imagine "what we will do for 4 days at an amusement park." She said she is envisioning being at Astroworld (Six Flags in Houston) for 4 days...
Yep, Franklin was well known for being a perv, especially in his position of US minister to France.

I remember so many fantastic things about my first trip. So many memorable things happened. I was immediately hooked after day one. I hope your mom and you have an awesome time! She's in for the experience of a lifetime!

MarvelCharacterNerd

Watch "Hamilton" (streaming now on Disney+ lol) - it makes it all ever so much more interesting and relatable.

For your nephew, make sure he's seen Schoolhouse Rock (also streaming on Disney+) even if he's aged out of it at this point - specifically what they have as "Season 3" - "America Rock". It's kid-friendly short history lessons set to music. I'd say Schoolhouse Rock gave me the foundation to appreciate Hamilton later in life. :)

AdventureHasAName

The Enchanted Tiki Room

It's my favorite attraction. The entire family can enjoy it. The music is infectious. It has 100+ animatronics (if it was built today, almost all of it would be screen projections - and it would lose its magic). It's a unique experience you don't get anywhere else in the resort. It never has a long wait, so whenever you want a Dole Whip and to relax for 20 minutes, you almost always can walk right in. I even love that because it's not as well known as something like the Haunted Mansion or PotC, when you're with a Magic Kingdom or Disneyland first-timer, they are going to be completely surprised by what happens when room comes alive.

Adventureland18.jpg

Smiley/OCD

You know, so many guests donā€™t appreciate the smaller attractions like Tiki, TSI, CBJ, SFRTH and even the AO at night and the People Moverā€¦it just seems like everybodyā€™s either got their noses plastered to their phones (partly Disneyā€™s fault) or rushing to the next E ticketā€¦

DfromATX

Watch "Hamilton" (streaming now on Disney+ lol) - it makes it all ever so much more interesting and relatable.

For your nephew, make sure he's seen Schoolhouse Rock (also streaming on Disney+) even if he's aged out of it at this point - specifically what they have as "Season 3" - "America Rock". It's kid-friendly short history lessons set to music. I'd say Schoolhouse Rock gave me the foundation to appreciate Hamilton later in life. :)
He's 12, so it might be too young for him. I remember Schoolhouse Rock - that's from my time!

James.Green

Splash mountain: even being the most popular ride in the world isnā€™t enough for it šŸ˜‰.

But seriosuly, living with the land, CoP, Tta would all be in consideration for me, but Iā€™m going to say the transportation rides. The trains, monorails, horses trolley, the riverboat, they all add so much to the park, and many people donā€™t even consider them when talking about rides.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Well given the short wait times definitely Star Tours at HWS (especially when compared to other rides at the park), but LWTL, Mission: Space: Orange, & Dinosaur are also extremely underrated. Iā€™m partial to PeopleMover & CoP but they both really need an update.

Country Bear Jamboree IMO is the best of the MK AA shows; witty and extremely entertaining. Impressions de France, MuppetVision & Itā€™s Tough to Be a Bug are also terrific.

Gotta say, Maharajah Jungle Trek & Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail at AK are some of the best things to do at WDW period.

Now if weā€™re talking overrated that easily goes to Slinky Dog Dash x200. Lol.

For your nephew, make sure he's seen Schoolhouse Rock (also streaming on Disney+) even if he's aged out of it at this point - specifically what they have as "Season 3" - "America Rock". It's kid-friendly short history lessons set to music. I'd say Schoolhouse Rock gave me the foundation to appreciate Hamilton later in life.
Second Hamilton. Itā€™s one of the best pieces of art regardless of art form. I canā€™t shower enough praise!

aw14

The monorail isnā€™t a ride in the traditional sense, but it is my favorite mode of transport. Iā€™ll ride it all day & listen to the recordings.

John park hopper

The original Enchanted Tiki Room was very underrated as is the Hall of Presidents. In response to Franklin being a perv many of todays President rank right up there.

doctornick

I think Itā€™s Tough to be a Bug to be underrated - it has the best execution of a 4D film with different effects, some nice physical props, a funny and engaging storyline - and even some learning too! - plus the cool interactive effects on the seats that make it fun to see others in repeat viewings.

Itā€™s also fascinating that this opened at DAK before the movie even came out.

UNCgolf

Na'vi River Journey. Yes, it's too short and would benefit from more AAs, but what's actually there is masterfully designed. It's completely immersive/transportive in a way many other rides are not, and it uses screens better than any other ride.

Also Carousel of Progress, Spaceship Earth, and Living with the Land. Three of the best attractions on property.

Brer Panther

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Literally the only reason this gets so much hate is because it replaced Mr. Toad. For one thing, I love Winnie the Pooh, and on top of that it's a rare "book report" ride that still manages to bring riders into the story well, and I feel the Imagineers made the best of a small budget.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Good calls on here. Living with the Land and the Tiki Room are good picks.

Iā€™d like to add Impressions de France. Itā€™s a hidden gem thatā€™s beautiful and classic now and should get more eyes now that they made that pavilion the best in the showcase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom