News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

T.Will

Just noticed this today. Seems like they’re doing some light testing.
50A8F45D-7027-412F-9947-433F9112095E.jpeg

TheMaxRebo

It’s a smart move on Disney’s part. Clone a ride with high guest satisfaction ratings from a park that relatively few tourists outside of China are likely to visit, and vice versa. No guests are cannibalized from either park and a great attraction is able to be experienced by more people.

Tbh, I wouldn’t be mad if Shanghai’s POTC was cloned at MK too 😬

Always rumors of them bringing that ride system to WDW but retheming it to another IP

lazyboy97o

Pandemic aside, the construction timeline on this attraction was always set to be out of whack.
It really wasn’t. When the attraction was announced it wasn’t much more than a Chinese footprint dropped onto an aerial of the Magic Kingdom. We’re talking well over 1,000 drawings that still had to be produced.

The far bigger sins were not coordinating the work to get the Walt Disney World Railroad open and the mothballing of the project.

DisneyfanMA

Why would you want it delayed?

As someone who hasn't ridden Guardians but has ridden Tron, it sounds like, from reviews, that Epcot finally has a "knock your socks off" headliner attraction, but I can assure you, Tron won't deliver that when it comes to Magic Kingdom, and that's a shame.

Each park has a modern headliner (from my point of view)
  • Flight of Passage (Animal Kingdom)
  • Rise of the Resistance (Hollywood Studios)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind (Epcot)
But Magic Kingdom doesn't. I realize Magic Kingdom doesn't need more draws, but I feel that each Disney park around the world needs one showstopper attraction that makes people think "wow, that alone made this whole trip worth it."

Tron is a solid ride, but far from a headliner. Would I take it over, Everest? Probably not.

Just curious, why are you down on Tron? It certainly looks the part. And the POV I've seen was very cool other than probably being a minute too short.

yensidtlaw1969

It really wasn’t. When the attraction was announced it wasn’t much more than a Chinese footprint dropped onto an aerial of the Magic Kingdom. We’re talking well over 1,000 drawings that still had to be produced.

The far bigger sins were not coordinating the work to get the Walt Disney World Railroad open and the mothballing of the project.
I knew you were gonna have something to say about this ;)

I'm not suggesting they should have just copied and pasted the Shanghai drawings. I do still think the timetable for TRON could have and should have been expedited faster than what was intended to be before the shutdown. But more than anything I think Disney just needs to get back in the habit of starting work, getting into production, and then making an announcement.

Of course, the TRON construction timeline was impacted by the Pandemic in ways no one could have predicted, and obviously that drew things out considerably. But Disney's habit of announcing an attraction 4 and 5 years before opening just seems silly. TRON was announced in 2017 and meant to open in 2021. Galaxy's Edge was announced in 2015 and opened (in phases) in 2019. Pandora was announced in 2011 and opened in 2017 (I know that was a bit different, but still silly). I know there are varying degrees there to which work had begun by the time of those annoucements, but it just feels like the easiest thing to tighten up. Keep the exact same construction timeline and just delay the official announcement.

But doing that would serve the guest more than it would serve the company. It feels more deflating than exciting to hear about a potentially great project and learn it's half a decade away.

SplashJacket

Hagrids is basically a seat, but open or enclosed. TRON is a true motorcycle-style coaster. The way you sit is not similar. FOP is closer to TRON than Hagrid.
I tried alluding to that by saying (but better).
Tron has that bike style seating (but better) for every single seat.
My point still stands, the seat greatly enhances the experience, just like Hagrid’s (similar but far more basic) motorcycle seat enhances the experience.

SplashJacket

Just curious, why are you down on Tron? It certainly looks the part. And the POV I've seen was very cool other than probably being a minute too short.
It’s a solid coaster. Very cool. Very scenic. But like you mentioned, it’s too short. It’s a solid ride, but it isn’t mind blowing. I’d take the Everest ride experience over Tron everyday of the week.

The best part of Tron is the canopy and overall aesthetic, not necessarily the ride experience. Contrast this with Rise, where there’s nothing to look at from outside the attraction, but the actual attraction experience id phenomenal.

People will love Tron in WDW. It’s a solid ride and a great addition. It’s not what the park needed, but still an addition I’m excited about. It’s just not the best thing since sliced bread, but it’ll likely get treated as such. I was excited for Ratatouille coming to Epcot, but it’s the same story there. Solid attraction that I’m exciting is coming closer to home, but by no means a game-changer

DisneyfanMA

I do think Tomorrowland desperately needed attention. I still think they should either really update the speedway experience and look or rip and replace. The current attraction seems dated to me and it's got a huge footprint. Maybe others do like it though. If keeping they could retrofit a new look, update the cars and sell the whole "green" electric vehicle thing. I won't delve into that any more but it's an obvious option.

TheMaxRebo

Don't they have an entire fleet of electric cars from Hong Kong Disneyland's Autopia?

I don't know what happened to them - but having ridden that version it is by far my favorite. No bad smell and the cars had onboard audio and made fun noises when you accelerated, etc - it felt like a fun, somewhat futuristic ride (at least compared to what we have stateside)

If they brought those over and updated the look of them and the track to fit in with a Tronish theme, I think it would be great

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom