Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Jrb1979

They naively believe that they are just cannibalizing off site business. What they don't realize is that those hotels are quite aggressive in their attempts to fill rooms.
Stuff like this is why I say they don't get it. They are very good with their media side of things but have lost touch on how parks work.

UNCgolf

As I've said in the past, they aren't perfect and mistakes have been made but most of these issues can be boiled down to there simply being too many people wanting to visit the parks.

Or, alternatively, they let attendance balloon beyond capacity levels (not solely attractions but also dining and other activities) and let it get bad enough that they now can't build enough to catch up.

Plus they've actively reduced capacity in some places via attraction replacements and closings.

cranbiz

Is management and their IT department just that bad?

Yes to both.

Example: Lets go back to 2007. MIMs was being deployed. All buses finally get equipped and it goes into testing. Testing finds flaws but Disney management pushes ahead. I'm at MK for Phase 1 rollout. System back end crashes, MDT's crash, IT doesn't know what to do. I ended up being pulled off a bus to "assist" in the chaos. Why? Because the coordinator knew I was an IT guy outside of Disney. I spend almost an entire shift troubleshooting MDT's, betting a good majority functioning while the "IT" guy was totally lost. He couldn't even follow the instructions I gave him on how to reboot the MDT's to resync them with the server.

Jeff4272

I don't know how true this is but according to this site starting today it's possible that you may be limited to holding 2 LL at a time. No more stacking
Just making it worse, not better at all

Thought the idea was to make guest satisfaction better? How will this accomplish that?

Still have to ge up at 7am, top rides will still sell out in seconds, still not "hold" your return window, still on phone too much, still cross cross the park, etc, etc, etc

They think this will resolve some of the availability issues but what is really does is reward people who go at rope drop and penalize people who don't go until the afternoon even though they think it will do opposite

is wrong with WDW right now? How can they get it this wrong time, after time, after time?

Place is so frustrating

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Their popularity is exasperating deficiencies. Magic Kingdom, for example, is seeing 10,000 more guests per day than it did 10 years ago. That's a lot of people. As I've said in the past, they aren't perfect and mistakes have been made but most of these issues can be boiled down to there simply being too many people wanting to visit the parks.

And I still maintain that Disney has demonstrated considerable constraint here in light of this. They could easily double the price of admission and all of this would go away.
I would agree with you there and ive stated this in other threads and with other people who are Disney fans.... in comparison to other places i go to etc Disney per day is basically in line if not cheaper than other places... FULL disclosure i stay Value/Moderate as im never in the room and rent a car so my #s are skewed but if you want to do a Disney trip "cheaper" imo they do have options for you.

drizgirl

Their popularity is exasperating deficiencies. Magic Kingdom, for example, is seeing 10,000 more guests per day than it did 10 years ago. That's a lot of people. As I've said in the past, they aren't perfect and mistakes have been made but most of these issues can be boiled down to there simply being too many people wanting to visit the parks.

And I still maintain that Disney has demonstrated considerable constraint here in light of this. They could easily double the price of admission and all of this would go away.
How much attraction capacity has Disney added since adding those 10K guests per day?

DisneyfanMA

The crowds have increased as has the price exponentially over the decades. The number of high capacity attractions has NOT kept up. More rides !

Edit: drizgirl beat me to it. Seems obvious.

Jrb1979

The crowds have increased as has the price exponentially over the decades. The number of high capacity attractions has NOT kept up. More rides !

Agreed. The problem is on both sides of it. On Disney's side unless they can highly market it, it's not worth building. On the fans side many won't accept more C-ticket rides. Not every ride needs to be highly themed

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Agreed. The problem is on both sides of it. On Disney's side unless they can highly market it, it's not worth building. On the fans side many won't accept more C-ticket rides. Not every ride needs to be highly themed
To me Remy is not an E Ticket but definitely a nice addition. Mickeys Runway Railway I love. It would have been a Great ADDITION to the park and then have then update/refurb GMR. We have WoL pavilion sitting dormant. Stitch closed for how many years. PW been closed for how long and how long before anything gets done there. MP ride/attraction nixed. MK theatre nixed. The list is endless and so were/are the possibilities but they kept neglecting things. TSL only 2 rides w no sitdown restaurants when it opened Same w SWL after all that hype…. So frustrating that simple and obvious decisions and choices that could have been made werent.

Disney Glimpses

More rides would help but the crowd increases are with the price increases which suggests the price increases were not significant enough.

Disney Glimpses

From all reports I have seen Disney did not cap sales today. If that is the case ending pre-sales of Genie+ means nothing.
The MDX team hasn't finished/released the ability to suspend sales yet. So while it's June 8th, it will likely be some time before we actually see Genie+ sales suspended on any given day.

MDX version 7.8 (released 2 weeks ago) did not include this ability. Hopefully we'll see it in the next release.

DisneyHead123

Regarding capacity - agree that there is a bit of a Catch-22 here. If Disney built 10 more Carousel of Progress / People Mover / Alien Saucer type rides, people would complain and it would be wasted money (those rides are already relatively low waits, after all, but that doesn't make them that much more attractive to guests). If they built 10 more Guardians of the Galaxy, they could well end up drawing in that many more people and it wouldn't do anything for capacity.

Maybe there is a sweet spot for "people eater" type rides - not too good, but not too boring either (Barnstormer level, maybe?) And certainly they could invest in other people eaters - street entertainment, shows, parades, etc. (In a way I'm surprised they're not building character dining as fast as they can - given how hard it is to secure ADRs, these places must be filling up, and each new restaurant brings in revenue).

DisneyfanMA

I mean the worst case scenario here isn't that Disney stops building rides. The other solution is to jack the prices up on everything a lot. It's already outrageously expensive yet there is record crowds in their parks. What if they DOUBLED ticket prices to reduce attendance ? That also solves their problem.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
More rides would help but the crowd increases are with the price increases which suggests the price increases were not significant enough.
But i would argue pricing people out would be a bad business model. Eventually you will need these people etc hence why the only true solution is more capacity & you can gradually raise prices & still give the guest a great experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom