Disney Bride & Groom Forego Catering, Host Mickey & Minnie instead

Was this couple right or wrong for foregoing catering for Mickey & Minnie?

• Right

• Wrong

• It's complicated

Results are only viewable after voting.

eliza61nyc

Even if you had to pay for airfare, ground transportation, hotel, and presumably a gift in order to attend?
Sure.
So I'd like to think that if I'm attending a wedding it is to show love and support for a marriage. I think you hit on one of the problems, the emphasis is on the wedding not the union.

let me turn that question around, if a friend or family member invites you to their wedding, would you say no because they arent serving dinner??

it's unusual for sure but hey if they let me know ahead of time I'd hit a restaurant before hand and then go and party on

Vegas Disney Fan

Even if you had to pay for airfare, ground transportation, hotel, and presumably a gift in order to attend?
Yes, maybe it’s because I attended college in Utah and a lot of my friends ceremonies/receptions were very simple affairs at stake houses because their real weddings were in the Temple (where I wasn’t allowed as a non member).

The furthest I’ve travelled for a wedding was to Florida for a beach wedding and there was no food post wedding, just a cash bar on the beach, it was beautiful. I didn’t even care that there was no food.

Vegas Disney Fan

I suppose that it would depend on how close they are to me, and if it is a destination or local.
I think those are fair considerations, we turned the Florida wedding into a mini vacation, it was a couple days of hanging out on the beach, bar hopping, and having fun with friends, the wedding was just the icing on the cake.

If the wedding was in the middle of nowhere and no frills it likely would have been less fun, we’d still go though if it was family or a close friend.

Jacob Marley

lol VENDING MACHINES!!

That is the part that made me think this might be fake.
It's not as silly as you might think. Sure, it's not COMMON, but it's not completely unheard of either for weddings to have vending machine offerings rather than a traditional banquet.
The classiest way to do this which your wedding guests will appreciate the most is to give quarters to people as they arrive, making their first purchase from the machine complimentary for them. Either have an usher or parking attendant give the quarters and a small map illustrating where each machine is located at the venue. Prior to the wedding itself beginning, have the minister announce to please open all food product at the start, so there isn't an orchestra of crinkly wrappers being opened and creating noise pollution during the service. (Discourage guests from purchasing crunchy chips).

Kamikaze

For starters, r/aita is where people go to practice creative writing, but if this is true, it's really poor form. If this was what the bride and groom really wanted, they should have had a more intimate wedding comprised of very close friends and family and paid for a nice dinner.

I don't think it's right to ask your guests to pay for their meals. Telling invitees "food is available" without specifying the guest will be incurring the cost is irresponsible. I think she was worried she might not get as many attendees and thus, fewer gifts.

I'd love to see her bridal registry. I can only imagine the items on it. :hilarious:
Just because some people post fake stuff there doesn't mean all of it is.

Kamikaze

Sure.
So I'd like to think that if I'm attending a wedding it is to show love and support for a marriage. I think you hit on one of the problems, the emphasis is on the wedding not the union.

let me turn that question around, if a friend or family member invites you to their wedding, would you say no because they arent serving dinner??

it's unusual for sure but hey if they let me know ahead of time I'd hit a restaurant before hand and then go and party on
What if I told you that the actual ceremony is just that - a ceremony - and actually means absolutely nothing?

Weather_Lady

To me, a wedding isn't just about you. (Otherwise, why bother inviting anyone?) It's also about acknowledging and honoring all the friends and family who supported you through the years, by including them in a milestone event. It's not an act of narcissistic self-expression: it's a public ceremony and a party -- in fact, the first party you'll host as a married couple -- and you need to plan it with not only your own desires, but the needs of your guests in mind. For my husband and me, this meant we decided on things like a non-destination wedding (some family couldn't travel), an indoor ceremony (elderly relatives in fragile health/using wheelchairs), paying for my own attendants' attire (college girlfriends who were broke and still making the effort to come from out of state to be there), and making centerpieces, favors and flower arrangements ourselves, so we could spend more of the budget on the kinds of foods, desserts, and music we knew our guests would most enjoy. 20 years later, people still tell me it was the most fun wedding they've ever been to.

If this couple felt that it was okay to take the money their parents gave them to feed their guests, and squander it on something so frivolous only for themselves, I don't think it reflects well on their maturity level or judgment. Obviously, they had the ability (although not necessarily the right - it wasn't their money and that wasn't what the donors had intended for it) to make that choice. I just think it was a really tacky one.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

To me, a wedding isn't just about you. (Otherwise, why bother inviting anyone?) It's also about acknowledging and honoring all the friends and family who supported you through the years, by including them in a milestone event. It's not an act of narcissistic self-expression: it's a public ceremony and a party, and you need to plan it with not only your own desires, but the needs of others in mind. For my husband and me, this meant we decided on things like a non-destination wedding (some family couldn't travel), an indoor ceremony (elderly relatives in fragile health/using wheelchairs), paying for my own attendants' attire (college girlfriends who were broke and still making the effort to come from out of state to be there), and making centerpieces, favors and flower arrangements ourselves (so we could spend more of the budget on the kinds of foods, desserts, and music we knew our guests would most enjoy). 20 years later, people still tell me it was the most fun wedding they've ever been to.

If this couple felt that it was okay to take the money their parents gave them to feed their guests, and squander it on something so frivolous only for themselves, I don't think it reflects well on their maturity level or judgment. Obviously, they had every right to make that choice. I just think it was a really tacky one.
Exactly.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I don't know,... The parents would have paid the caterers directly and likely have been somewhat involved in the tasting and selection process. They wouldn't have just given the kids $5k for food and been like okay have fun, because that's the overall budget and I'm sure they were still hoping to come in lower. So there's very little chance that if this story is true they did this without at least some approval from mom and dad. It wasn't squandered.

Weather_Lady

I don't know,... The parents would have paid the caterers directly and likely have been somewhat involved in the tasting and selection process. They wouldn't have just given the kids $5k for food and been like okay have fun, because that's the overall budget and I'm sure they were still hoping to come in lower. So there's very little chance that if this story is true they did this without at least some approval from mom and dad. It wasn't squandered.
I'm just going by what the bride said, which was that they'd diverted the money their "parents allotted for the catering..."

These people aren't teenagers - the groom is described as 30 - so I can see the parents simply turning over the money and saying, "here, this is for the food." My parents contributed several thousand dollars to my wedding even though DH and I were 25 and gainfully employed (albeit fresh out of grad school), and simply handed us a check, trusting that we'd be use it thoughtfully, toward legitimate wedding expenses, and not blow it on character photos with the local furries for ourselves. 😉 Fortunately, their trust was not misplaced.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

You kidding me? Some parents, understandably don't want to be that involved in a wedding, but I am sure assume there will be food there. If the story is true I am sure those parents feel embarrassed.

Lilofan

Yes, maybe it’s because I attended college in Utah and a lot of my friends ceremonies/receptions were very simple affairs at stake houses because their real weddings were in the Temple (where I wasn’t allowed as a non member).

The furthest I’ve travelled for a wedding was to Florida for a beach wedding and there was no food post wedding, just a cash bar on the beach, it was beautiful. I didn’t even care that there was no food.
That’s true about some FL weddings. One wedding my family member flew to was a beach wedding in beautiful Sarasota FL. The menu was wine , cheese crackers and light bites post wedding , then the invited guests went on their own to lively St Armand’s Circle and partied into the night at the bars and nightclubs.

Last edited:

jloucks

It’s not your wedding. It’s theirs. Nobody has a right to complain except for them. And they did what they wanted to do.
I would agree were it not for this....

"The cost to have both Minnie and Mickey for a good chunk of time (30 minutes) was almost exactly what our parents allotted for our catering budget"

The parents wanted food, the parents paid for food, it was not cool to cancel food in favor of rodents without consulting the parents/sponsor. If I were the parent, I'd be salty too.

My takeaway is when the time comes for me to sponsor my kids wedding, I need to decide if I want to just give money with zero strings attached, or have some very reasonable parameters for the money I give.

...or not give money. Is that even an option? Seems outdated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom