All things Universal Studios Hollywood

mickEblu

At least it is dark ride. USH just got it's second one with SLOP.

Yeah I just wish it was…dark. Bright dark rides just don’t do it for me. Also not a huge fan of the theme/ setting. I know the queue gets a lot of love but I feel like I’m walking through an IKEA store. It’s also one of the most uncomfortable ride vehicles I’ve been on.

Last edited:

BasiltheBatLord

Are Transformers and The Mummy at USH long for this world? Putting a DK coaster in that area with the jungle theme would make sense and be the perfect transition between Super Nintendo land proper and Jurassic World. We’d lose the generic buildings for real placemaking. Of course I’d prefer additions and not replacements but I’d sign off on this.
Mummy has supposedly been on the chopping block for years and has just barely avoided getting closed so far. It certainly feels like it's on its last legs.

mickEblu

Mummy has supposedly been on the chopping block for years and has just barely avoided getting closed so far. It certainly feels like it's on its last legs.

I enjoy the ride and the beginning actually kind of messes with me psychologically which I like. But I’d be willing to give it and Transformers up for DKs jungle and Mine cart ride and hopefully another smaller scale ride. I think you would need both of those to go unfortunately to make the room.

Phroobar

So do you think the Mario Kart ride will be haunted? It stands on the site of the original Phantom of the Opera set (stage 28) that was supposed to be haunted by Lon Chaney Sr.

2022-04-28 07_01_35-Window.jpg

Phroobar

TwilightZone

So do you think the Mario Kart ride will be haunted? It stands on the site of the original Phantom of the Opera set (stage 28) that was supposed to be haunted by Lon Chaney Sr.

View attachment 635875

At least there's a mario character that he will fit right in with
submission fail GIF

BubbaisSleep

View attachment 635875

I'd be more worried about whatever replaces The Mummy. There have been reports of a ghost dramatically telling guests about a curse every 15 seconds.

J4546

i am looking forward to this even though its just a 1 ride land ad the ride doesnt look that great imo but the theming looks awesome

Rich T

Living in Florida for a year (job related). I’m amazed and delighted at how much Universal Orlando Resort feels like a better-planned version of DL Resort. The Garden Walk and waterways connecting the hotels to the parks are beautiful.

Islands of Adventure is the only theme park I’ve loved as much as pre-Bobs Disneyland, though I am including the Hogwarts Express/Diagon Alley trip as part of every day I’ve spent there.

Hagrid‘s is my new favorite ride of all time. Velocicoaster’s final roll is the scariest ride element I’ve ever experienced. Spiderman surpassed expectations even after years of hype. Cat in the Hat shows that a literal book report ride CAN Be fun… though I don‘t recall Thing 1 and Thing 2 trying to kill the kids with a rolling piano in the book.

The non-Potter portion of the Studios park is… ok for a hodgepodge studio park. Mummy’s refurb closure really hurts it. Men in Black is great fun. ET called out everyone’s name but mine. Wish the park had Secret Life of Pets instead of Jimmy Fallon.

Citywalk’s Toothsome Chocolate Emporium is wonderful. Hollywood’s in for a treat when it opens there!

Last edited:

Professortango1

Living in Florida for a year (job related). I’m amazed and delighted at how much Universal Orlando Resort feels like a better-planned version of DL Resort. The Garden Walk and waterways connecting the hotels to the parks are beautiful.

Islands of Adventure is the only theme park I’ve loved as much as pre-Bobs Disneyland, though I am including the Hogwarts Express/Diagon Alley trip as part of every day I’ve spent there.

Hagrid‘s is my new favorite ride of all time. Velocicoaster’s final roll is the scariest ride element I’ve ever experienced. Spiderman surpassed expectations even after years of hype. Cat in the Hat shows that a literal book report ride CAN Be fun… though I don‘t recall Thing 1 and Thing 2 trying to kill the kids with a rolling piano in the book.

The non-Potter portion of the Studios park is… ok for a hodgepodge studio park. Mummy’s refurb closure really hurts it. Men in Black is great fun. ET called out everyone’s name but mine. Wish the park had Secret Life of Pets instead of Jimmy Fallon.

Citywalk’s Toothsome Chocolate Emporium is wonderful. Hollywood’s in for a treat when it opens there!

Their shopping district and park identities are stronger, though I was still amazed how little shopping there was when I was there in April. My friend and I popped over for a layover (our original plan was to visit AK at WDW for 4 hours, but Disney reservations killed that plan). We walked around and all of the fun shops from Hollywood's City Walk that I remembered just weren't in Florida. It was 99% food. So we visited the legacy store and went to Toothsome (great food, kind of mediocre decor with flat screens being 90%).

For the parks themselves, USO Resort does beat Disney a few times. Mummy is great and much better than Rockin Roller Coaster or Space Mountain. Popeye is my favourite rafting ride whereas GRR is inoffensive but bland. MIB is miles better than Buzz Lightyear and a hair stronger than Midway Mania. Diagon Alley is the best theme park experience I've had, and I'm not even a huge Harry Potter person.

That being said, the rest does decline quickly in terms of quality. Spiderman is great in ride design, but I do feel the cost-saving in the queue and production design. Kong was a great queue and total misfire of a ride. River Adventure is fun, but I preferred the Hollywood version with the car gag. ET was great when it debuted, but it needs to be updated as it doesn't compare to Fantasyland rides in terms of quality. Cat in the Hat was a mess when we rode it last.

I do love the USO resort, but I have found that I need a park hopper to be worth it. Neither park scratch the itch of a complete theme park experience. But I think that's an Orlando issue as I find that with Disney's offerings too. There's just so fewer attractions and variety per park out in Orlando vs So Cal.

Disney just needs to go crazy with DTD. Make it weird and unique, not generic outdoor Southern California mall.

Rich T

Their shopping district and park identities are stronger, though I was still amazed how little shopping there was when I was there in April. My friend and I popped over for a layover (our original plan was to visit AK at WDW for 4 hours, but Disney reservations killed that plan). We walked around and all of the fun shops from Hollywood's City Walk that I remembered just weren't in Florida. It was 99% food. So we visited the legacy store and went to Toothsome (great food, kind of mediocre decor with flat screens being 90%).

For the parks themselves, USO Resort does beat Disney a few times. Mummy is great and much better than Rockin Roller Coaster or Space Mountain. Popeye is my favourite rafting ride whereas GRR is inoffensive but bland. MIB is miles better than Buzz Lightyear and a hair stronger than Midway Mania. Diagon Alley is the best theme park experience I've had, and I'm not even a huge Harry Potter person.

That being said, the rest does decline quickly in terms of quality. Spiderman is great in ride design, but I do feel the cost-saving in the queue and production design. Kong was a great queue and total misfire of a ride. River Adventure is fun, but I preferred the Hollywood version with the car gag. ET was great when it debuted, but it needs to be updated as it doesn't compare to Fantasyland rides in terms of quality. Cat in the Hat was a mess when we rode it last.

I do love the USO resort, but I have found that I need a park hopper to be worth it. Neither park scratch the itch of a complete theme park experience. But I think that's an Orlando issue as I find that with Disney's offerings too. There's just so fewer attractions and variety per park out in Orlando vs So Cal.

Disney just needs to go crazy with DTD. Make it weird and unique, not generic outdoor Southern California mall.
Totally agree that Orlando Citywalk needs more shops. Also agree that parkhopping (especially via Hogwarts express) is essential. I immediately bought a Premiere Annual Pass, so I can just relax and enjoy the place, use early entry every time, and leave when it gets too crowded.

I love, love, love Islands of Adventure. Much like DL, it’s full of twisty paths and crazy details to discover, as well as the kinds of hidden spots to relax that DL used to have. Hagrid’s and Velocicoaster have elevated IoA several notches, to the point where I’d ALMOST call it a perfect park. It still needs at least one more major dark ride, a couple more minor attractions and maybe a Disney-thrill-level family coaster (I love Hagrid’s, but it’s WAYYY more intense than something like Big Thunder or Space Mtn.). And transportation of any kind would be nice.

It helps that I’m an old geezer who actually grew up reading all the comic strips referenced in Toon Lagoon. And the deep-cut character cameos in Seuss Landing nearly moved me to tears. (Mr. Sneelock?!? The Zax?!? Wow!!!)

Marvel Island could use fewer giant garish character signs and a 100% reduction in carny games. And, yes, park-hopping on the Hogwarts Express to Diagon Alley is still needed to turn IoA into a full day until they do something spectacular with the unused space in Lost Continent.

I’ve stayed at Cabana Bay (wonderful) and Endless Summer Dockside (nice). Could not believe how affordable they were.

Rich T

Oh — Regarding Toothsome, yeah maybe too many screens (more physical set pieces would be great), but I loved the music so much that I looked up the tracks, went to iTunes and now have, like, six hours of Steampunk Jazz on my phone. Food was top notch. Service was charming. And these two were wonderful:

Attachments

• 7DE5BEFD-B8F1-46B5-999C-D13B03F82E3D.png
    7DE5BEFD-B8F1-46B5-999C-D13B03F82E3D.png
    513.5 KB · Views: 61

PiratesMansion

Long time no see, @Rich T! You've been missed!

My only beef with IOA is that the park needs more things that are relaxing. They have a great collection of thrill rides, but there's very little to do if you need something to experience without being thrown around or drenched.

Studios needs help badly. There are too many underwhelming screen rides that have replaced far more interesting predecessors.

Rich Brownn

The car gag in California has been gone for a long time (and now permanently gone with the redo). It frequently broke down, which is why we never got it. The queue in SpiderMan is supposed to be a cartoon, hence the comic-like colors.

Professortango1

The car gag in California has been gone for a long time (and now permanently gone with the redo). It frequently broke down, which is why we never got it. The queue in SpiderMan is supposed to be a cartoon, hence the comic-like colors.
I'm aware of the issues with the car gag, but when it worked, it was incredible. I always had good luck with it working.

And yes, I know the queue was mimicking the cartoon look, but it still feels sparse and a bit flat. Its the same issue I have with the queue for Mario Kart. Its not bad, but not amazing either.

Rich T

Long time no see, @Rich T! You've been missed!

My only beef with IOA is that the park needs more things that are relaxing. They have a great collection of thrill rides, but there's very little to do if you need something to experience without being thrown around or drenched.

Studios needs help badly. There are too many underwhelming screen rides that have replaced far more interesting predecessors.
Thank you; I’ve missed everybody here!

IOA can definitely use more gentle rides in its lineup. I tried to think of a non-thrill itinerary and came up with…The four Seuss rides (Oh, wait, One Fish Two Fish can soak riders ..but still four rides there if you count both Sky Trolley tracks). There’s… Poseidon’s Fury… Exploring Hogsmead… The Forbidden Journey queue… The Velocicoaster queue… Raptor Encounter.. The caves at Camp Jurassic… shopping… eating… Going on the Seuss rides again…

It’s a stretch, for sure. I’d love to see them add a couple more gentle flat rides, a family coaster, another big dark ride and the return of boat transportation in the lagoon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom