Please delete.

Sir_Cliff

IMHO, the general Covid thread, and pretty much all Covid discussion, have been the death of this place. I'm not criticizing the mods. No one could have known how things would go over the past two years. But the Covid discussions have completely torn this community apart. You can even see it in this very thread.

In retrospect, there should have been absolutely no discussion of Covid at all save for those things *directly* related to the parks, such as when a park would reopen and with what restrictions. Anything else should have been saved for elsewhere. This is a Disney fan forum and even in the midst of a once-in-a-century pandemic, it should have been a respite from Covid, not a place to discuss and debate it ad nauseam.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid the damage is done. I'm not sure that the sense of community that once existed here can ever be recovered. And that's sad.
I must admit that I really don't understand people getting upset about particular discussions on politically charged but unavoidable topics such as Covid or the Reedy Creek Improvement District's status. The mods do a good job of keeping those topics confined to their particular threads and you don't have to read them if they are making your experience of the forum less pleasant. I was the same way with the Politics forum that I ended up ignoring as it annoyed me too much, so by the end of its life it existed for me about as much as it does now. The Covid thread also doesn't really exist for me as I haven't stuck my head in there for a long time.

I don't understand the push from some to call for complete censorship of certain relevant topics as if the very idea people are voicing opinions they don't agree with somewhere on the forum is too much to bear. It's the same when people pop up on those threads imploring the mods to stop everyone talking about politics. Is it that difficult to just not read certain threads?

In general, I'm with those who would like to see evidence that there has been a mass exodus or that the boards have gone unusually quiet.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I must admit that I really don't understand people getting upset about particular discussions on politically charged but unavoidable topics such as Covid or the Reedy Creek Improvement District's status. The mods do a good job of keeping those topics confined to their particular threads and you don't have to read them if they are making your experience of the forum less pleasant. I was the same way with the Politics forum that I ended up ignoring as it annoyed me too much, so by the end of its life it existed for me about as much as it does now. The Covid thread also doesn't really exist for me as I haven't stuck my head in there for a long time.

I don't understand the push from some to call for complete censorship of certain topics as if the very idea people are voicing opinions they don't agree with somewhere on the forum is too much to bear. It's the same when people pop up on those threads imploring the mods to stop everyone talking about politics. Is it that difficult to just not read certain threads?

In general, I'm with those who would like to see evidence that there has been a mass exodus or that the boards have gone unusually quiet.
Agree…there’s a completely ill-logical call for people to discuss political events/policies without considering the politics. It’s laughable.

The mods here do a fantastic job of letting most dignified ideas be said…but it’s a delicate line. They edit me when I get too deep (been known to happen)…but more importantly, are a reminder that I need to edit myself. And that is effective.

There can never be full agreement with humans

Sir_Cliff

Agree…there’s a completely ill-logical call for people to discuss political events/policies without considering the politics. It’s laughable.

The mods here do a fantastic job of letting most dignified ideas be said…but it’s a delicate line. They edit me when I get too deep (been known to happen)…but more importantly, are a reminder that I need to edit myself. And that is effective.

There can never be full agreement with humans
Exactly. We should be able to discuss some things as adults without sticking our fingers in our ears and closing our eyes when the real world intersects with the Magic Kingdom. If others prefer not to engage in those discussions, though, that also makes sense.

I occasionally get posts edited or deleted and am not always entirely sure why, but I trust the mods have their reasons and have found they've done a good job of keeping the forum as a whole on track. Can also understand why they got rid of that politics forum, though, as that just became plain toxic at times.

Jrb1979

I don't understand the push from some to call for complete censorship of certain relevant topics as if the very idea people are voicing opinions they don't agree with somewhere on the forum is too much to bear. It's the same when people pop up on those threads imploring the mods to stop everyone talking about politics. Is it that difficult to just not read certain threads?

I wouldn't say there is a mass exodus but there has been a few posters who have left. Mansionbutler84 comes to mind. I thought he was a great poster and seemed to know stuff. He just disappeared.

JoeCamel

I loved posting here regularly. I wish I still could but unfortunately life got in the way and my time is precious. After a few years I feel a lot of people have had the same things happen to them.

But let’s face it, no matter what this is still the best Disney fan site/forum around anywhere. There are posters here who provide top notch content even still and I feel one of the big draws here is still the endless debate of the Disney have and have nots.

Remember Disney and everything it encompasses is still a vacation to get away from the world even if only for a little while. The magic is still there it’s up to you to find it.

Jimmy Thick-Still a dreamer…..
I can't believe I put a like on a JT post. Maybe I have covid brain fog.....

Lilofan

I loved posting here regularly. I wish I still could but unfortunately life got in the way and my time is precious. After a few years I feel a lot of people have had the same things happen to them.

But let’s face it, no matter what this is still the best Disney fan site/forum around anywhere. There are posters here who provide top notch content even still and I feel one of the big draws here is still the endless debate of the Disney have and have nots.

Remember Disney and everything it encompasses is still a vacation to get away from the world even if only for a little while. The magic is still there it’s up to you to find it.

Jimmy Thick-Still a dreamer…..
The magic to us actually starts pre WDW visit. The journey is at times is just as magical as the destination , traveling , stopping at various points meeting interesting diverse locals and appreciating landscapes , food, drink and lodging. The getaway for us is getting out of daily lives and comfort zone and setting out.

nickys

Premium Member
I like the @ToTBellHop poster. IMO he's much better and more accurate than that "Mansion Butler" person you speak of.

There was too much nastiness here so he decided to dematerialize.

I just want the inside scoop on what the Butler did, or saw, that got him demoted.

Did he steal the family silver? Or got too “familiar” with the Ladies’ Maid? 🤔

Glad he stuck around though. 😊

ToTBellHop

I just want the inside scoop on what the Butler did, or saw, that got him demoted.

Did he steal the family silver? Or got too “familiar” with the Ladies’ Maid? 🤔

Glad he stuck around though. 😊
He broke rules of propriety and Master Gracey caught him in love’s embrace with the Lady of the House. Gracey alerted the Lord of the Manor who then, unfortunately, had to let his butler go.

The Hollywood Tower, on the other hand, is always hiring, especially post-pandemic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom