News Fantasmic! and World of Color to return in 2022

MoonRakerSCM

I've heard rumors that WoC got rid of the butterfly fountains? One of the last remaining original non-regular fountain effects... gone the way of the Chernobog and the jellyfish fountains that never worked.

MoonRakerSCM

What is a butterfly fountain?
I can't find a photo of them for the life of me for some reason... but it was one of the things that Disney pushed during the promotion of the show. In promo art, Disney had butterflies that were going to flutter along the surface of the water... unlike anything ever seen before...
kvwkc3-worldofcolorconceptart.png

They were butterfly fountains... per Disney's own words- "This delicate quartet creates a serene effect, fluttering just above the water’s surface. With butterfly-like wings, they deliver smooth, yet stunning patterns – evoking pathos and drama with ballet–like grace." ( https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/06/introducing-the-cast-of-world-of-color/ )
butterfly423123SMALL.png

I recall either reading online or discussing with Disney peeps, that they were mechanical fountains that blew jetted water into a water wheel and out into fans that would actually flap in place... they had little wirey bug eyes... and like most of the show, were idiotically bad compared to the overblown concepts that Disney pushed for the show.

Most people don't/didn't know they were in the show. Many times chatting with CM's they'd ask me what my favorite part of the show was... and I'd mention the butterfly fountains... and the CM's would inquire what I meant. More than once after telling them what to look for and where/when to look, the CM's would shout in disbelief "They ARE butterflies!".

During arguably the most impactful musical climax moment of the show when the booming theme from Pocahontas comes to its crescendo... the platform is engulfed in a deep orange hue with amazing spotlights rising into the mists... and on the water surface... the BUTTERFLY FOUNTAINS illuminated and took flight!!!! They lazily flapped their wings a few times and then shut off after a few seconds.

I imagine that every night the World of Color team cheered and hugged each other at this moment knowing that it was another successful showing of the butterfly fountains and that they had done another amazing job.

That being said... am I to understand that the amazing fountains are now... gone?

MoonRakerSCM

Take a look here in the lower left just behind the bald guys head, you can see the 'wings' flapping from either side of his head (16:15 onward)-

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

View attachment 640992

Heres a pic I took of the butterfly fountain years back. I did recall seeing the device a couple of weeks back but wasn't used. If they did in fact remove it, it happened after I saw the show. I last saw the show on May 7th
This photo is more interesting and more beautiful than seeing WOC actually was.

Also, truly, this is an amazing photo, great job.

Phroobar

For a place that markets and prices itself as a premium theme park experience, they sure have a lot of things broken. Effects seem to stay broken for years or might be completely removed. It got to a point where bigger things were broken due to lack of maintenance and people died.

Purduevian

Has anyone seen an official menu for the Fantasmic dinning package? From Disney:

Hungry Bear: "Choose from a down-home menu created just for this event, featuring barbecued pork ribs, grilled salmon salad or a barbecued half-chicken, served with bacon potato salad, seasonal vegetables, a dessert and fountain beverage. Or try a plant-based Impossible sloppy joe sandwich with seasonal vegetables, fresh fruit, dessert and fountain beverage."

River Belle: "You can choose from our regular menu or from special items offered only to Fantasmic! Dining Package Guests."

I'm kind of surprised 3 days out I haven't seen these special menus? I'm currently holding both a Hungry Bear and River Belle reservation for late June trying to pick between them.

Phroobar

Has anyone seen an official menu for the Fantasmic dinning package? From Disney:

Hungry Bear: "Choose from a down-home menu created just for this event, featuring barbecued pork ribs, grilled salmon salad or a barbecued half-chicken, served with bacon potato salad, seasonal vegetables, a dessert and fountain beverage. Or try a plant-based Impossible sloppy joe sandwich with seasonal vegetables, fresh fruit, dessert and fountain beverage."

River Belle: "You can choose from our regular menu or from special items offered only to Fantasmic! Dining Package Guests."

I'm kind of surprised 3 days out I haven't seen these special menus? I'm currently holding both a Hungry Bear and River Belle reservation for late June trying to pick between them.
Actual picture from Disney:
sample.jpg

wtyy21

Disney begin testing fountains for Fantasmic (and possibly DL Forever water screen) last night for its return on Saturday. So, anyone can seen the return of F! and watching DL Forever at the same place (Rivers of America).

wtyy21

The cast preview is going on right now. It's the '17 show- with the Pirates of the Caribbean section intact.

Anyone needs to watch it tomorrow along with DL Forever fireworks at this place (Rivers of America)

From Youtube

Last edited:

jrhwdw

OK............so i looked at YT.....why did only 1 Set of Fountains work last night?????? That bothers me!..........

Aside from that.. F! looks Fantastic!!!!!! So glad it's Back!!!!!!

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Lots of things not working it seems:

Only 1 fountain array
Mickey no spark fingers
Magic Carpet stationary
Murphy no fire

Some changes:

- No projection screen behind/above house
- No longer see Murphy rise up, done in the dark like the old version
- Star strobes used at top of show as lights fade and swirls build

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom