Please delete.

Goofyernmost

OP comment... folks? I was not talking about JUST this board :(.

I've seen a large exodus from a whole LOAD of Disney oriented boards. Can't mention 'em, as they are "boards non-grata".
So..... I'm guessing it's not the boards ?
There could be a social connection to that. Most of these boards were established about 20 years ago when society was a little more polite and WDW was at its height of quality and simplicity. There aren't very many of those people still on the boards and rightfully so.

All of society has currently gone off the edge when it comes to manners and class. The last few years have seen an outpouring of bullying and loudly pronounced alternative facts, theories along with exponentially expanding rudeness and in order to be heard above the roar, everyone has had to resort to loudly answering back against the foolishness. It is very much part of society as it is today. Hopefully it will pass soon because I, for one, would love to see people being courteous and refined again before I leave this mortal coil and join up as the 1000's haunt in the mansion.

spock8113

To whom it may concern,
It is the L.owest C.ommon D.enominator in the internet equasion: anonymity, pure and simple.
Anonymity makes it easy to bully and write in all upper case and that seems to be this attitude:
"The louder and more obnoxious I am, the more correct I am." as I sit in my parents basement eating a burrito in my underwear playing scratch-off tickets to hopefully win some money to pay for a new TV and an exterminator.
With Disney, I think peoples general thought can be summed up with a big sigh and a shoulder shrug.🇺🇦

DfromATX

OT, lol I giggled a bit here @Lilofan , last night I had dinner in the city, $16 toll through the Lincoln. I was cussing all the way through.....

Back to the topic
@Lilofan @eliza61nyc wait, what? are the tolls really that much in Florida? I live right by a toll and we're on it all the time. I don't pay attention to the cost though and thought it was only about 50 cents so I just asked my husband and he said they just raised it and it's about $2, but still... wow $16 is a lot!! I'd be cussing too. 😂

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
@Lilofan @eliza61nyc wait, what? are the tolls really that much in Florida? I live right by a toll and we're on it all the time. I don't pay attention to the cost though and thought it was only about 50 cents so I just asked my husband and he said they just raised it and it's about $2, but still... wow $16 is a lot!! I'd be cussing too. 😂
The Lincoln Tunnel connects New York and New Jersey. It’s being used as another example that “Disney’s not all that expensive…if you compare it to NY/NJ/Philadelphia”

They only collect the toll in one direction, so round trip is $8 each way, which is still a lot. :)

CampbellzSoup

People also stopped posting because there are a few that act like only their opinion on things matter. It happened a lot in the political forum hence why that got shut down. If only one side can get through, whats the point in talking?
I ignored one here already who was just so vile and toxic it makes me not want to post here it’s like they don’t offer conversation just snark who wants to deal with that?

eliza61nyc

The Lincoln Tunnel connects New York and New Jersey. It’s being used as another example that “Disney’s not all that expensive…if you compare it to NY/NJ/Philadelphia”

They only collect the toll in one direction, so round trip is $8 each way, which is still a lot. :)
Not really meant to be a comparison. It was a bit OT because I just came through the tunnel last night and was complaining, as usual about the cost

Usually I always state that my reality is always skewed because I live here and lol it's like living in an alternate reality.

My apologies I didn't mean it to be anything except an amusing anecdote

Last edited by a moderator:

CampbellzSoup

Not really meant to be a comparison. It was a bit OT because I just came through the tunnel last night and was complaining, as usual about the cost

Usually I always state that my reality is always skewed because I live here and lol it's like living in an alternate reality.

My apologies I didn't mean it to be anything except an amusing antedote

The tunnel is expensive think about taking the Verrazano bridge every day

Wilbret

OP comment... folks? I was not talking about JUST this board :(.

I've seen a large exodus from a whole LOAD of Disney oriented boards. Can't mention 'em, as they are "boards non-grata".
So..... I'm guessing it's not the boards ?
Could be any number of things, honestly.

Message boards overall have been dying for a while as people move to other channels.
Youtube is packed full of information, no need to post and wait to find out something.
Almost everything is consumed on a mobile device now, is this format ideal for mobile?
An honest to goodness rejection of Disney by a huge swath of people for whatever reason... politics, cost, experience...
And so on.

I have seen forums for things come and go, from Sports to hobbies to Halloween. Change in software. Overwhelming ads. Change in management. Aging of a core group of contributors. Politics, covid, vaccines, war... when half the people are treated like crap (either way), they eventually just leave. Any number of reasons.

jloucks

Could be any number of things, honestly.

Message boards overall have been dying for a while as people move to other channels.
Youtube is packed full of information, no need to post and wait to find out something.
Almost everything is consumed on a mobile device now, is this format ideal for mobile?
An honest to goodness rejection of Disney by a huge swath of people for whatever reason... politics, cost, experience...
And so on.

I have seen forums for things come and go, from Sports to hobbies to Halloween. Change in software. Overwhelming ads. Change in management. Aging of a core group of contributors. Politics, covid, vaccines, war... when half the people are treated like crap (either way), they eventually just leave. Any number of reasons.
Oooof, YouTube. Yea, it is killing my automotive forums that I have followed for the last almost 2 decades. It really does make sense that a video forum is ideal for cars, but it is so much harder to provide content.

I never really liked watching WDW videos on Youtube, but I know they exist, and I know they are wildly popular.

FullSailDan

The period of peak activity you mention was riding a peak of investment in the parks by Disney. There was quite a bit of change happening; some good, some bad. New attractions were being planned, the parks were growing, the overall experience for the value was really high, etc. Argue however you'd like in terms of cuts, staffing shortages, pandemics, politics, etc. but the parks just aren't being run the same way anymore. The focus used to be on amazing and unique experiences. Now, there's not a single thing on the property that isn't directly and loudly tied to a marketing push for something. "Synergy" has become homogenization and monetization. The Florida parks are in "sustain mode", and that just not exciting to talk about. The slowness of the boards are directly related to a lack of any real plans by the company to do anything with such potential.

WDW Pro

Some of us are still around. Personally for me the way WDW is being managed is not as good as it used to be. Not nearly as good. And my posts may reflect that more often since that’s how I see it (If anyone is interested). Yes, Im the old fart who’s been here longer than most (and longer than this version of the site has existed) and yes things have ‘changed‘. They always have and always will. They’ve changed everywhere. Some don’t post anymore. Some have simply moved on. Others have lost their love for WDW. I have to a certain extent. For me personally that is a direct result of how the parks are being managed, not how this site is managed.

One thing that seems to be as rife here as it is in the real world is politics. There is no doubt the real world has become a more toxic and polarised place in the last 2 or so years, which is bound to rub off elsewhere. As the rules here state that’s a subject that will be closely monitored (again, a lot of stuff sticks here that you’d think would be erased) but the problems politics brings should be taken to a political forum - not a fan theme park forum. It’s not like the word DeSantis is banned here, but conversely it’s not a forum to discuss the deeper areas of the subject. You can of course talk about how it affects the parks - more so currently - but due to its potentially volatile nature, moderation is expected and of course enforced.

This site is fair - within its own set rules (themselves being quite generous). There’s plenty of discussion here that would be erased on other sites. But since there are other sites (many of which aren’t as welcoming for less than stellar comments towards the company) there’s somewhere for everyone. I think the fact this site is primarily about a Floridian destination and is U.K. based speaks volumes for its popularity and longevity.At the end of the day every respectable site needs moderation, and like so many other sites this is a privately run site by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. It’s not a public, open to anything, anything goes forum.

And that was a hard post to write with covid brain fog. But it needed saying.

Glad your still here, Martin. The only thing I would add is that there is a push from a few to make everything "grumpier." But that may just be a reflection of polarization and people being exhausted from the world situation.

MickeyLuv'r

I feel ya, for nearly 30 years I excitedly and happily drove from Georgia, Vt. to WDW just about every year, sometimes two or more times a year. Now I live in NC and it is an easy single day trip but I can find nothing that would make me feel like going anymore. It has gone from a fun time to an expensive chore that just no longer is equal to the cost and especially the degree of difficulty that it has become. I'm not happy about that, but it is what it is and doesn't look like it is going to change direction any time soon. For me it's the end of an era.
I REALLY hope WDW hears this message!

MickeyLuv'r

Yes, I am lying. You caught me.

Perfect example of what I meant when I said there was a baseline level of rudeness here.
A challenge for many forums is that tone is hard to convey.

Think of a someone quietly asking you to sit down, "Could you sit down, please?"

Now imagine someone shouting those same words or saying them in a way that is sarcastic.

I think often when we post- we mentally 'hear' our words in softer tone than others 'hear' what we wrote.

As a kid, I did some acting, so I think maybe it made me more aware of tone. I know for a fact, our appearance plays a big role in how we are heard by others when talking in-person.

KBLovedDisney

The world has been going a bit more than just nuts lately. Speaking of nuts, I say let's all go back to KatieBug. Remember when that started out as the great upheaval of this site to now being one of the more positive things we all celebrate? I am hoping one day after all of this passes that we can gather together and celebrate the bad with the current good.

...someone help remind me that this too shall pass...😟

MickeyLuv'r

That’s because the moderator from the News and Rumours Board was banned.

Others left of their own volition, and some of the new ones are clueless.
I joined both forums ages ago. I joined this one first.

But then I encountered a very rude forum member here, so I left for a while.

But then the DIS got weird.

When Star Wars opened at HS, one of the DIS moderators was 100% certain that Galaxy's Edge was going to draw huge crowds and be super awesome. For months, said moderator predicted HUGE opening day crowds that never materialized. For weeks after it opened, that mod kept insisting HS was far busier than it was (and that GE was way better than it is.)

The mods also became very actively engaged in upselling WDW.

I've mostly left that forum.

I like the honesty of this forum, and this thread gives me some hope. this forum can get better if we all try to be a little more thoughtful towards each other.

I have long also thought that maybe this forum could use a new tool that allows threads to branch off. In some cases, 2-3 people sorta get going on a sub-topic and that side discussion gets mixed in with the main discussion. It would be nice to be able to (sometimes) bypass the sub-discussions, because IMO, it seems like the subdiscussions are the ones that often become more heated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom