Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
90% of the reason they changed the program (and name) was not because the old system didn't work well (though they did want to remove the pre-planning aspect) - but it was because they wanted to make something that looked, sounded and felt different enough from the free version so that guests couldn't complain that they are paying for something that used to be free.
The old system didnt work well…the previous one did because it was based on metics and management theory.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
In fairness, they worked really hard to figure out a price that felt fair and competitive. They screwed up, they could've turned this into an even huger cash cow. They could simply be raising the price instead of limiting sales. And the fact that they are trying to work this out without raising the price, I give them credit for that.
I still expect the price rise to come, they even went as far as saying the $15 was an introductory offer.

If they kept the old system and started charging for it, people would have lost their minds. They needed to change it to something else, but this ain't it chief. The issue is they have created a product that has become a rite of passage for American childhood, plus the draw of nostalgia for families, so there is a fixed demand that keeps growing every year no matter what they do. But they aren't increasing park capacity, and even if they did that would increase demand (yes I saw the defunctland video).

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
If they kept the old system and started charging for it, people would have lost their minds. They needed to change it to something else, but this ain't it chief. The issue is they have created a product that has become a rite of passage for American childhood, plus the draw of nostalgia for families, so there is a fixed demand that keeps growing every year no matter what they do. But they aren't increasing park capacity, and even if they did that would increase demand (yes I saw the defunctland video).
After genie+ they could bring back the old system tomorrow and charge $20, call it whatever they want and people would love it

Disney Glimpses

I still expect the price rise to come, they even went as far as saying the $15 was an introductory offer.
That is true. I should clarify, I fully expect Genie+, whatever it looks like, to cost $20 next year. What I meant was they are hell bent on tweaking the current program (really limiting ability to purchase) without simply throwing price increases at it.

Dad 2 M & M

Anyone mentioned the price…the price will certainly fluctuate? Can’t imagine the price will not follow the seasonal format as it does for Park Tickets, Resorts, etc…..

And….surely the price is going up beyond the current

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The excuse is if they build more rides, more people will come exponentially

But that is a misdirection/excuse…because at their escalating prices they have been shrinking their customer pool at an inverse rate than they could ever build to “drive attendance”.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I don't buy that for a second.

People are going to Disney now and you're effectively paying them to take on a new job instead of going on a vacation.
People are going to Disney now because most couldn’t the last 2 years. The more expensive and more difficult it is to enjoy it there as we use to is going to keep people at home (or traveling elsewhere eventually)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is true. I should clarify, I fully expect Genie+, whatever it looks like, to cost $20 next year. What I meant was they are hell bent on tweaking the current program (really limiting ability to purchase) without simply throwing price increases at it.
They can’t do that because if people dump buying it the standbys will be 3 hours everywhere. Because what they have could maybe comfortably handle 45-50 mil clicks and they’re heading north of 55

It’s a numbers game and Bob didn’t play it.

Thepuma

Wait is half the day not a limitation in your book? It also likely causes a surge of park hopping in that singular moment....I guess that's easier to staff? I haven't been back since before covid but I do remember going to MK to ride one or two rides at drop than leaving as the stroller mayhem begun.

Its just a silly limitation that serves no purpose unless your concerns lie with disneys bottom line.
I do actually agree...there should be no time restrictions because let be honest, for 99% of guests park hopping it won't be too much earlier than 2pm that they get to the 2nd park anyway...so an hour or so either way should be allowed.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I think that is a reflection of how broken the system actually is. It isn't a simple fix, and can't be done by a simple price hike. The system needs reworking and I expect re-pricing. It then needs a relaunch to win back guest confidence.

Yeah I also think they are doing this to start doing demand pricing. It was probably the goal all along. I just really hope they don't start "day of" ticket sales at midnight, because thats a no go for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom