Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Joel

It was a terrible idea from the start.

So was buying it since September.

Just a parade of “bad ideas”
I love how being "forced to wait" to purchase something is a punishment. If that ain't all the proof you need that we (the guests) are the problem, I don't know what is.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
They can't significantly modify the program itself without issuing refunds or even more disastrous guest relations feedback. People pre-purchased a product under the current terms and rules, which is why they will stay until end of year. All modifications will be around new purchases, but not the actual program itself.

And they are going to be quite cautious to start. The goal is to put this fire out now. That's how bad this is.
The sad thing is, any of us on this forum alone could have known how bad this was gonna be and what kinda fire they would have, if their own management couldn’t see that, fire them all

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And remember, they cannot get out of their own way. The entire reason they switched from 8 ILL attractions to 4 is because Genie+ needed the inventory. They could easily add all 8 into the program. AFAIK, that isn't even on the table.
That’s because it’s the same problem that they had before…

And I’ll go ahead and post this again that explains why for reference

But the solution is clear…and Disney will not do it

Disney Glimpses

The sad thing is, any of us on this forum alone could have known how bad this was gonna be and what kinda fire they would have, if their own management couldn’t see that, fire them all
In fairness, they worked really hard to figure out a price that felt fair and competitive. They screwed up, they could've turned this into an even huger cash cow. They could simply be raising the price instead of limiting sales. And the fact that they are trying to work this out without raising the price, I give them credit for that.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Disney park management has seriously lost all sight of the guest experience. People making these decisions never have to use it or experience it the way we do. They implement something stupid without thinking it through, then panic when it’s bad. Amazing. It’s time for heads to roll. They need to get their act together bad before guest drop off begins to occur after Covid “get back to the parks” ends

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
In fairness, they worked really hard to figure out a price that felt fair and competitive. They screwed up, they could've turned this into an even huger cash cow. They could simply be raising the price instead of limiting sales. And the fact that they are trying to work this out without raising the price, I give them credit for that.
They could have kept the old FP+ system and charged for it. That alone would have been better than this cluster

Jeff4272

I dont....

its terrible, it doesnt work, the guest satisfaction numbers are in the 20%-25% range.......

Paying for something that doesn't work or pay more for something that does? I bet it would be 90-10 would rather pay more if it worked

Disney Glimpses

They could have kept the old FP+ system and charged for it. That alone would have been better than this cluster
90% of the reason they changed the program (and name) was not because the old system didn't work well (though they did want to remove the pre-planning aspect) - but it was because they wanted to make something that looked, sounded and felt different enough from the free version so that guests couldn't complain that they are paying for something that used to be free.

mmascari

This means that, moving forward, whether you have an Annual Pass, multi- or single-day ticket, you may only purchase Disney Genie+ service on the day of your visit via the app, one day at a time, subject to availability. We’re focused on delivering the best possible guest experience, and this adjustment will help manage the incredibly strong demand our guests have shown for Disney Genie+.
Yeah! An indication they're going to limit the number sold. A solution to it not being useful because it doesn't scale to the number currently sold. Good if you get it, bad if you don't.

We expect that, on average, guests who purchase Disney Genie+ service will continue to enter 2-3 attractions or experiences each day using the Lightning Lane entrance when the first selection is made early in the day.
Boo! An indication the new limit will still be so large it's still not as useful for those that get it.

If you already purchased a ticket that includes Disney Genie+ service for dates later in 2022, don’t worry – you’ll be able to use the service during your visit.
Yeah and Boo! For those that already purchased it, you're are guaranteed to get it. Boo in that this could create a rush now. It could also mean if they set the level low enough, there are no day of available at all in the beginning.

If you have an early June trip, Genie+ is likely to be a pretty good experience. Inventory will start low and then be increased over time.
Any definition for "early June"? I would expect a rush right before June 8 of people buying it for early June to be sure they get it. Likely with no limit yet. So, those early days could be even worse.

No, they will simply be disabling the purchase option when a threshold is met. You have to remember, they want absolutely zero impacts to their VIP tour business.
Limited supply, because it doesn't scale, is exactly what we said needed. Limiting sales instead of trying to raise the price to cause them to self limit is clearly a way to restrict supply, and to a very known quantity.

To ANYONE that thinks this is good, you are sadly mistaken

This entire thing needs a major overhaul....

This is going backwards, not forward
For someone going after the restrictions that already purchased it, this could work out great. No rush to buy it (already purchased), yet supply limited (sort of). Could be perfect for that group, assuming the limit is low enough (questionable) and that the number of pre purchased isn't already way above that limit.

The harder it is to get and the less they sell, the better it is for those that are able to get it.

Jeff4272

90% of the reason they changed the program (and name) was not because the old system didn't work well (though they did want to remove the pre-planning aspect) - but it was because they wanted to make something that looked, sounded and felt different enough from the free version so that guests couldn't complain that they are paying for something that used to be free.
but they failed MISERABLY

ChrisM

I'll never understand why the new system wasn't simply paid ILL for every attraction with an on-demand pricing model.

It's instant revenue for the company. And for guests it's super straight forward with the price and benefit staring you in the face.

Now we get to endure yet another new scheme that they will roll out for next year (or whenever) and get to figure out whatever new, and increasingly byzantine, rules they've conjured up in their continuing effort to step on their own cranks as often as possible.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
The simply rename it, charge for it, continue to allow pre-booking/planning, and limit it so annual pass holders and day of people could use it the day of too

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I'll never understand why the new system wasn't simply paid ILL for every attraction with an on-demand pricing model.

It's instant revenue for the company. And for guests it's super-straight forward with the price and benefit staring you in the face.

Now we get to endure yet another new scheme that they will roll out for next year (or whenever) and get to figure out whatever new, and increasingly byzantine, rules they've conjured up in their continuing effort to step on their own cranks are often as possible.
Because people would stop going to Disney in that model

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was a Pandora’s box and they opened it.

All the other players - AB parks, Uni, 6flags - make the line skip an unnecessary optional item with price.

Disney I respect for not doing that…but they stopped building capacity to comfortably handle crowds 20 years ago and that doesn’t work in the swamp.

These two Bozos:
1652892346424.jpeg

jmp85

Tried Genie+, it was awful and not worth the money. Been back twice since and did not purchase it either trip. If they brought back FastPass+ and charged me Genie+ prices, I'd probably buy it. It was simple: I get to pick 3 guaranteed rides for the day. None of this crap of sitting on my phone and realizing I can't actually ride anything worthwhile unless I book something 6 hours from now.

Waters Back Side

It's instant revenue for the company. And for guests it's super straight forward with the price and benefit staring you in the face.

Now we get to endure yet another new scheme that they will roll out for next year (or whenever) and get to figure out whatever new, and increasingly byzantine, rules they've conjured up in their continuing effort to step on their own cranks are often as possible.

WDW is not designed to handle this type of system (Premier Access like Paris). too many parks, too many attractions. Bundling rides for a set price is better of the two evils.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom