News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

RSoxNo1

My general impressions after 3 rides in Passholder Preview this afternoon.

- not the most intense coaster ever but it doesn’t need to be for it to be enjoyable.
- more spinning of the ride cars than I expected but it adds a wonderful element to the ride.
- second to last row (front seat of last car) is best for launch. Front is best after that. (I rode both today)
- there is so much going on throughout you will miss a lot even after multiple re-rides. I saw stuff in a preshow room on third ride I had completely missed on earlier rides.
- the very last row has a flip out panel on the side of the car to ease mobility transfer into the vehicle.
- music track adds a lot to the experience. I got a different song on each ride.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed it and I’m glad I took advantage of the passholder preview since I imagine it will be very difficult to get on for a good long while. While of course the Epcot connection is a ‘little’ forced I personally think it’s a great addition to the park.
On a scale of Barbie to Horizons, where well does it feel like it fits in EPCOT? Ratatouille level?

yensidtlaw1969

And world showcase has Grand fiesta, Frozen, and American Adventure. And DHS only has ROTR, a few in MMRR, and one at the end of Slinky.

Don't forget Star Tours.
And Lightning McQueen. Ha.
Also Potato Head and The Muppet Vision Muppets. And the handful in Star Tours.

But yes, the number at DHS is pretty hauntingly low. Great Movie Ride, we hardly knew ye.

georgep148

That’s the same for this one. It wasn’t ready.
The difference here is that Universal opened Hagrid’s after (correct me if I’m wrong) a year and a half of construction, while CR has been under construction for 5 years. You would think they’d have worked out most of the kinks by now, even with the pandemic. I guess the new ride system must be troublesome to work with.

disneygeek90

The difference here is that Universal opened Hagrid’s after (correct me if I’m wrong) a year and a half of construction, while CR has been under construction for 5 years. You would think they’d have worked out most of the kinks by now, even with the pandemic. I guess the new ride system must be troublesome to work with.
I was in and around the queue for nearly 2 hours yesterday and was impressed with how quick everything moved with zero downtime from what I could tell. It moved just as fast as Velocicoaster. Of course, it’ll be slowed down with ILL, but operations seemed very smooth yesterday.

trainplane3

Is that why the exit hallway and the gift shop are almost completely unthemed? Did they just punt on that to get the ride open earlier?

I doubt it, but you never know.
I thought the whole thing was "since the tour didn't go as planned, they bring you back through "backstage"". That's why there's the "smile, you're onstage" sign is at the end.

UNCgolf

I thought the whole thing was "since the tour didn't go as planned, they bring you back through "backstage"". That's why there's the "smile, you're onstage" sign is at the end.

I think that's what they were going for, so calling it completely unthemed may be inaccurate -- I just don't think it works. The vast majority of Disney guests have no frame of reference so they'll have no idea it's supposed to be themed like a backstage hallway. I only understand that now because someone here explained the mirror/sign; it's just not something most visitors will get.

It's a bit like Chester and Hester's in that even if correctly evokes what it's supposed to evoke, it's still not a very good idea. Chester and Hester's is at least recognizable for the vast majority of guests as a roadside tourist trap, though (even though that's not what anyone goes to a theme park to see).

Still doesn't explain why the gift shop looks like something at an airport terminal instead of a Xandarian showcase.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
I think that's what they were going for, so calling it completely unthemed may be inaccurate -- I just don't think it works. The vast majority of Disney guests have no frame of reference so they'll have no idea it's supposed to be themed like a backstage hallway. I only understand that now because someone here explained the mirror/sign; it's just not something most visitors will get.

It's a bit like Chester and Hester's in that even if correctly evokes what it's supposed to evoke, it's still not a very good idea. Chester and Hester's is at least recognizable for the vast majority of guests as a roadside tourist trap (even though that's not what anyone goes to a theme park to see), though.

Still doesn't explain why the gift shop looks like something at an airport terminal instead of a Xandarian showcase.
When were you able to visit the gift shop? It wasn’t open when I was there yesterday and CM’s said it would not be open until official attraction opening later in the month.

UNCgolf

When were you able to visit the gift shop? It wasn’t open when I was there yesterday and CM’s said it would not be open until official attraction opening later in the month.

There are photos available of the interior; @wdwmagic posted some. It's hard to believe they're going to significantly change it after stocking it with merchandise and allowing photos, but I'd love to be happily surprised.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Casper Gutman

At this point I hope a whole lot of people involved in GotG’s development were embezzling money like they were Russian oligarchs, because otherwise Disney’s budgeting abilities are broken to an absolutely unimaginable level. It’s the sort of thing you’d think Wall Street might care about, even if it does involve a silly theme park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom