Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind SPOILER Thread

celluloid

Expedition: Everest was 100 million.

I struggle to understand how Cosmic Rewind was ~100 million more expensive than Rise of the Resistance.
I do too, but egos and cost of partnerships increased I guess. It is all wild.

Crazy that Universal got two Revenge of The Mummy attractions for 60 million in 2004.

A lot of the R and D for rise was already done thanks to Scott Trowbridge. Saved some but still quite a drastic difference.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

markham

I was hoping that the “not dark enough” vibe I got from videos was because of automatic camera processing like night mode.

The ceiling halo in the first on-ride scene with Eson is especially distracting from the videos. I’ve been surprised that Disney hasn’t either licensed Vantablack, used Black 3.0, or created their own super light absorbing paint for the ceilings and infrustracture they want hidden in spaces like this. The technology exists, and while it’s much more expensive than a can of Sherwin Williams, I can even buy it! Also, it would be an easy way to make the grid of acoustic drop ceilings go away.

UNCgolf

The excessive nitpicking here is headache-inducing. Guys, it's not that deep. I feel like it's useless for you to even try to ride this coaster in the future with all the negative preconceived notions you have. You will simply not enjoy it no matter what.

Who do you think will automatically not enjoy it?

Everyone I've seen that has complaints still thinks it will be a fun ride -- just that it's not a perfect one. Critiquing it is part of the experience.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’ve been surprised that Disney hasn’t either licensed Vantablack, used Black 3.0, or created their own super light absorbing paint for the ceilings and infrustracture they want hidden in spaces like this. The technology exists, and while it’s much more expensive than a can of Sherwin Williams, I can even buy it! Also, it would be an easy way to make the grid of acoustic drop ceilings go away.
Woah, woah, woah. You start doing stuff like that and then all of a sudden, the project starts to cost a lot of money!!!

Epcot82Guy

Who do you think will automatically not enjoy it?

Everyone I've seen that has complaints still thinks it will be a fun ride -- just that it's not a perfect one. Critiquing it is part of the experience.

Agreed. I think this looks like a very fun ride that will be a huge crowd pleaser. It's not a bad attraction by any means. Yet, I still think there are some fair criticisms that could be launched at it. And, many of these criticisms are in decision making, not project limitations.

-It feels better as a TL or DHS attraction, and nothing in the final product changes that. (As many of the "wait for the final product" crowd were saying initially.)
-The erosion of Epcot's theme isn't worth shoehorning this attraction, especially when there were other stories that could have made it fit - even with a very similar attraction.
-The cost doesn't seem to fit what we got (referencing things like screens only vs. physical sets/AAs, the plain exit hallway, certain celebs not being included, etc.)
-Like the Lagoon, the sightline damage is noticeable.
-The story seems overworked.
-The attraction seems to be fun because of the attraction. The story isn't what is making this fun. (Referencing Disney's "story coaster" claims.)
-The ties to EPCOT Center feel more pandering than authentic. It almost would have been better without them at all.
-The attraction seems like an interesting combination of previous capabilities vs. a truly groundbreaking. (Again, referencing Disney's claims and their justification for the cost.)
-The spinning will cause issues for some, though it doesn't seem to be a major issue like it can be for M:S or Forbidden Journey.

yensidtlaw1969

I was hoping that the “not dark enough” vibe I got from videos was because of automatic camera processing like night mode.

The ceiling halo in the first on-ride scene with Eson is especially distracting from the videos. I’ve been surprised that Disney hasn’t either licensed Vantablack, used Black 3.0, or created their own super light absorbing paint for the ceilings and infrustracture they want hidden in spaces like this. The technology exists, and while it’s much more expensive than a can of Sherwin Williams, I can even buy it! Also, it would be an easy way to make the grid of acoustic drop ceilings go away.
Black 3.0's effectiveness is greatly overstated. Not to mention that it's not really fit for industrial use, which is basically what theme park application is. That paint is much more novelty than it is a practical solution to the kinds of light problems Disney has.

Vantablack is much more legitimate and effective, but also requires some intense maintenance to stay that way.

Disney would much rather just nightblind you to artificially increase the darkness. Though I wish they were more consistent at doing that. Time of day and amount of sunlight before riding factors in to how well adjusted guests eyes will be, but some rides are better at nightblinding you mid-show than others and it makes a difference.

yensidtlaw1969

The excessive nitpicking here is headache-inducing. Guys, it's not that deep. I feel like it's useless for you to even try to ride this coaster in the future with all the negative preconceived notions you have. You will simply not enjoy it no matter what.

Making me quote myself again . . .

I have no idea what makes you think I couldn't possibly enjoy the attraction as built while also thinking about it critically.

I assumed that's what most of us here do.

Disney Analyst

Rich Brownn

Still not selling me on $300M. ;)
Yeah cause all that stuff - in one coaster, never having been done before - comes cheap. (That also included demo of coaster, rebuild of the land underneath). CR big new thing is a controlled spin ... oh wait... thats already been done (Gringott). And thats not even counting the special cars built for the ride (Probably where a chunk of CR went too).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom