Trip Report THE ONE WITHOUT a BUDDY

(For those of you just joining us, please go read “THE ONE FOR DINNER” before continuing.)

Hello my fellow Magicians!!!
I have been called the rain goddess, the harbinger of doom and plain ✈️ bad luck.

What kind of drama did I get myself into this time? Well as the name implies, this was a solo trip. Not this guy…
Star Wars Salute GIF

I narrowly missed some buddies, met some new buddies and reunited with some old buddies. But I know what you are all thinking….how was my flight(s)?

I have eluded to this story in @Tuvalu ’s TR but here it is. We will call it the EPILOGUE and I will try to be brief.

Two weeks after our Dinner trip, Tone and I were set to fly to PBI. We had an 8:50pm flight on Friday night because our youngest had a lacrosse game at 4:00. This would allow is to go to his game then head to the airport. His game of course got pushed back to 5:30. It was pouring and we had to drive to JFK and park so we saw about 5 minutes of the little guys game.
No traffic. 👍
Found parking immediately👍
One person in line in front of us at TSA precheck👍
Flight on time👍
“Let’s sit and have dinner.”
We see an acquaintance in the restaurant. He is on a major morning news show and is good friends with the people I work for therefore, I will not throw him under the bus. But, as we were heading to the gate we stopped by his table to say hi.
“Is your flight delayed?” He asks.
I felt like I had been sucker punched. I deflated. He had just jinxed me. Five minutes later we get the notification we will be delayed 30 minutes.
Thirty minutes is no biggie. We were waiting on our plane. Our plane arrived but then we were told our crew was on an inbound flight that would not be in until 11:45 pm. For those of you struggling with the math that is almost a three hour delay.
200.gif

I am afraid our flight attendants will time out. They don’t and we push back about midnight. Then go right back to the gate.
big brother pop GIF by Big Brother After Dark

A woman has decided she is too sick to fly. As the woman sitting next to Tone so eloquently put it, “we have had a three effin hour delay. And NOW your sick?”
And we wait for a new manifest.

We land in West Palm about 3:45am. The rental cars are offsite and do not open until 5am. I look for an Uber to take us to our hotel. $58!
We hem
We haw
We decide we will Uber, use our son’s truck for the day and have him drive us to the airport tonight (because our flight back is tonight-Saturday)
I go back on Uber, $98.
“No way!!!”
We find a bench outside and get comfy.
I call the hotel. The charge has already been put through but I convince the young man to reverse the charge.
At 4:30 the shuttle comes for the car rental place. At 5:00am they open.
We have plans to meet Tone’s brother, wife and two of their kids for breakfast at 8:45. We decide we will drive to my son’s house and crash on their couch (like 14feet long!) for a few hours. We pull into his driveway at 6:00am but are afraid to go inside and wake them. Their game is at noon so we want them to sleep. Instead, we sleep in the car in the driveway until 7:30. Then I sneak inside to use the restroom (my son is in the master BR so has his own) while my son snores on.
We then go to BIL’s hotel to use their shower and eat breakfast.
At breakfast for @MickeyCB
C571A1BD-61C3-47AF-944E-A4EB1A2F59A6.jpeg

By 10:30 we are headed to the game.
For @wdisney9000
F70F959A-80ED-4333-A53D-600C9A53E51D.jpeg

Tailgated:
A3D649C1-6A27-4EE9-AD0A-36CB7A9D1811.jpeg

Took a few pix. The first is from high school. They now play together in college so I had to recreate it:
1228A5C4-4F45-4541-8E64-25C02F805B01.jpeg

3B682FB2-E6C8-4103-B013-AED3BF13F5BE.jpeg

Our flight home was delayed, of course. We landed about 1:00am Sunday morning. By 2:00am I was fast asleep.

So how would this flight be???
Stay tuned….

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Friday April 8 cont

I meandered toward Toy Story Land…

I think I take a picture of these trees every visit.
A95B2DD5-DBB5-498E-BAC3-5305BD18C435.jpeg

I keep expecting them to one day fill in and be nice lush, shade providing trees. But shade in wdw???
John Goodman Lol GIF by Roseanne

I still had some time so I looked around…
F717B76D-FBDA-4566-98B5-6D653EFFCE2D.jpeg

9395C72D-31C4-4FD9-827F-ED065DB02FCA.jpeg

Did anyone from TWDC actually read this?

I kept meandering right out if TSL and into Batuu.
Look! Shirley status at the trough, er restroom.
2B0F9D40-3B64-4075-9892-F47A1F4DF40C.jpeg

Speaking of Shirley, I hate to be a name dropper but…. @Tuvalu and I had tried to make some plans for today. She and Em were looking forward to some afternoon pool time and I was looking forward to joining them. One small problem.
Freezing Bill Murray GIF

It was way too cold for lounging at the pool.

So I kept on meandering and landed here…
10922DC5-4B47-4B0C-B7F3-F45364AB73C9.jpeg

I had had a reservation for Oga’s that I made some time ago in hopes a Magician or two could join me. When I saw that was not going to happen I canceled it. I mean, who wants to go to Oga’s by themselves?
jenna fischer raise hand GIF

Turns out I do😀
I still had time so I asked if they had room for one, at the bar. As I spoke to the CM I tried to read his name on his name tag but I could not decipher it. He broke from character a bit and said the font they chose was absolutely horrible. “The B’s look just like S’s. Imagine if your name is Abbey.”

😂

I got a stand (because you dont sit so I didnt get a seat😉) at the bar.
5B36CD03-2966-421A-873A-8AF9EE6AD180.jpeg

I ordered the Jedi Mind trick. I can not do alot of mixed drinks because the sugar and sweetness kills me. But this is a grapefruit juice based drink so it agrees with my stomach a bit more.
FA4C88EF-577A-4E51-8384-076953236C9A.jpeg

My bartender was amazing!
E440FEAF-9742-4979-BD6B-42813DD3BF19.jpeg

We were able to chat a bit between his drink pouring. We discussed Gold Squadron lager. @jasminethecat it has lavender and plum flavors (see a pattern here) and is absolutely delicious. I explained it was brewed a few miles from where I live but I can only get it one day a year. His answer was spot on, “May the 4th.”

Last year I missed out. I hope it is available again this year. I already have my growler ready to go.
4AB2874A-D840-46B8-AEB3-5A9C30D27D6E.jpeg

We had some more friendly banter and I told him I have a friend who collects Disney paper and asked if it would be ok if I took my coaster. The other bartender only heard half of what I said and assumed I was asking for coasters. He said they usually barter. I explained I had a drink from earth called diet dr pepper. He asked why the dr was on a diet. Some questions you just cant answer.

When I left they gave me a handful of coasters. 7 of one style and 1 of another🤦🏼‍♀️
But it is the thought that counts.

As it turns our, my Disney friend texted me a picture of her coaster collection the other day. She has them all already.
I tried @MickeyCB 😘

Disstevefan1

Thursday April 7 cont

I had been texting with my good buddy, True Value (some of you may know her as @Tuvalu ) but she and @TrolleyFollower91 were heading to MK for the evening and that was a hard pass for me, although I would have loved to see them. I was in good hands though. @wdisney9000 ’s sister and brother in law were there and were so nice. As were their children and the children’s friends. Then there was C monster. She was lovely, for a 16 year old girl😂
I have a 16 year old boy at home so I know the rules:
-no eye contact
-only one question allowed at a time
-pictures need to be taken quick(if at all)
-don’t be embarrassing

C is way more forgiving of rule breaking than my son is !!!

9000, BIL and I got another round of 1664’s in France. Then I think we got a round in Germany? @wdisney9000 can you confirm? Wait, yes we did because we did a boomerang with our beers for my IG. Actually C did the boomerang for me, who am I trying to kid?

Then 9000 and family (10 total) were going on Rat. I said my good byes but they insisted I go on with them. “Don’t worry” they told me. That and, “don’t talk.”😂

I honestly don’t know what happened. I scanned my MB and it turned blue (green means go, blue means…I don’t know, you are sad because you can not ride🤷‍♀️It should be red right? So off topic, sorry.)
Anyhow, the CM did something on her computer and waved me through. No one said anything.

Selfie with a broken camera
View attachment 635752
See these?
View attachment 635753
One of us forgot to get a pair of glasses. Rhymes with I love seltzer. 😀

No idea but looks like a honey comb. Maybe I was still thinking about that awful drink in the bee cup.
View attachment 635754

This one is better

View attachment 635762
Flower and garden
View attachment 635755

Didn’t love Rat. Didnt hate it. Happy to have something NEW and I get the hype because it is new but I would not pay extra or wait more than 30 minutes (if I can help it).

Then we got another round
View attachment 635757

And drank it under the lizard light
View attachment 635758

9000 and C had a dinner reservation so we said our good byes and off they went. As for me, it was almost 9:00pm so I thought I would see if Harmonious was worth destroying the World showcase lagoon.

Short version, no. No it is not worth it. The tacos play movies which add nothing. The music is just standard music from movies synched to the tacos. Not very Epcoty. Might go well at MK, or even HWS but here we are in World showcase and Disney really had a chance to highlight the different cultures that surround the lagoon. But instead they made a Disney movie montage. Remember that intern I mention who worked on the Coco scene in Mickey’s Philharmagic? Well he or she has been very busy😉
Oh, and Ursula with the moving arms adds nothing to the show. All the effects could be done with low barges or hardware just under the surface. The best part is the end when fireworks shoot out from the shore all around the lagoon. No Ursula or tacos needed!!!
After that mess I took the bus back to SSR.
I agree about Harmonious.

Since we are stuck with the barges, I wish they would create Illuminations 2.0; use the exact same sound track of original Illuminations and make use of the new barges to create a visually updated version of Illuminations using the original (or even a slightly tweaked) Illuminations soundtrack.

fractal

Friday April 8 cont

I meandered toward Toy Story Land…

I think I take a picture of these trees every visit.
View attachment 636007

I keep expecting them to one day fill in and be nice lush, shade providing trees. But shade in wdw???
John Goodman Lol GIF by Roseanne

I still had some time so I looked around…
View attachment 636008
View attachment 636009
Did anyone from TWDC actually read this?

I kept meandering right out if TSL and into Batuu.
Look! Shirley status at the trough, er restroom.
View attachment 636010

Speaking of Shirley, I hate to be a name dropper but…. @Tuvalu and I had tried to make some plans for today. She and Em were looking forward to some afternoon pool time and I was looking forward to joining them. One small problem.
Freezing Bill Murray GIF

It was way too cold for lounging at the pool.

So I kept on meandering and landed here…
View attachment 636011

I had had a reservation for Oga’s that I made some time ago in hopes a Magician or two could join me. When I saw that was not going to happen I canceled it. I mean, who wants to go to Oga’s by themselves?
jenna fischer raise hand GIF

Turns out I do😀
I still had time so I asked if they had room for one, at the bar. As I spoke to the CM I tried to read his name on his name tag but I could not decipher it. He broke from character a bit and said the font they chose was absolutely horrible. “The B’s look just like S’s. Imagine if your name is Abbey.”

😂

I got a stand (because you dont sit so I didnt get a seat😉) at the bar.
View attachment 636012

I ordered the Jedi Mind trick. I can not do alot of mixed drinks because the sugar and sweetness kills me. But this is a grapefruit juice based drink so it agrees with my stomach a bit more.
View attachment 636014
My bartender was amazing!
View attachment 636013
We were able to chat a bit between his drink pouring. We discussed Gold Squadron lager. @jasminethecat it has lavender and plum flavors (see a pattern here) and is absolutely delicious. I explained it was brewed a few miles from where I live but I can only get it one day a year. His answer was spot on, “May the 4th.”

Last year I missed out. I hope it is available again this year. I already have my growler ready to go.
View attachment 636025
We had some more friendly banter and I told him I have a friend who collects Disney paper and asked if it would be ok if I took my coaster. The other bartender only heard half of what I said and assumed I was asking for coasters. He said they usually barter. I explained I had a drink from earth called diet dr pepper. He asked why the dr was on a diet. Some questions you just cant answer.

When I left they gave me a handful of coasters. 7 of one style and 1 of another🤦🏼‍♀️
But it is the thought that counts.

As it turns our, my Disney friend texted me a picture of her coaster collection the other day. She has them all already.
I tried @MickeyCB 😘

Those are seriously the last trees Disney should be buying for their Florida parks.

Great interaction at Oga's!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I agree about Harmonious.

Since we are stuck with the barges, I wish they would create Illuminations 2.0; use the exact same sound track of original Illuminations and make use of the new barges to create a visually updated version of Illuminations using the original (or even a slightly tweaked) Illuminations soundtrack.
Not a bad idea. Or, move the barges to HWS and put to use in Fantasmic?

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Friday April 8, cont

I left Oga’s after one drink ( @dryerlintfan and @donaldtoo ) and headed to Toy Story mania to redeem my LL. But first a pit stop.

I remember as a child going to Disneyland there was no trash on the ground. If you dropped a piece of popcorn there was someone there to clean it immediately. The sanitation standards have gone way down…
E0374EB5-10A8-41DF-BDFF-DA9DDBC09E14.jpeg

I booked my next LL after tapping in.
390ADA2B-0B4A-4DBD-85B4-3D6CA9E9CDDE.png

I always take these pix to send to my son. They are all number 9, and his jersey number was 9 (career over last weekend🥲). I always ask if anyone knows why they are all number 9 and I have never gotten an answer. There must be some meaning behind it.
C8A18676-E3F9-4869-A2B9-504FB75DBB26.jpeg

B76CE776-1625-43C6-A0CA-BE8D0112D747.jpeg

62EEF692-F6B3-4776-A9EF-EEA782DB0663.jpeg

034B446C-8423-4244-B599-ADC7AF8A2FC4.jpeg

I was chatting with a man on line who could not believe I was there solo. Meanwhile his son never took his eyes off his phone and he confided in me his wife stayed behind at the resort to take a pool day. (Remember I said it was freezing- not a good day for the pool!) If you look at it, he was kind of solo too.

10154AA6-84B4-42DC-992C-5D459A913AAD.jpeg

Yep.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Friday April 8 cont

Time for lunch!

I have had some good times and met some great people under this tree…
3C2058CD-B6ED-499B-AC29-4C2431A14AF9.jpeg

…and today was no exception.

Yum
E8C03D0C-4C99-4EF2-BC00-098D666EB05C.jpeg

6598291E-E2EF-4E38-B6AD-DEB2855946BD.jpeg

A woman sat next to me and we chatted a bit. She had just gotten there. Well we talked and talked. Wow, her story🤯
She was suppose to be there with her boyfriend but he got arrested for drugs but he had a scale on him so he was arrested for possession with the intent to sell which is way worse. She hadn’t told anyone and she unburdened herself on me. She said it was easier telling me because she didn't know me. And I didn't know them. I bought us another round and she talked and talked, and then her phone rang and it was him calling from jail. I told her to go take the call and I would watch her stuff.

When she returned she told me he only gets 20 minutes of phone time and he had traded 4 of those minutes away. I said, “for drugs. He traded them for drugs.” She agreed.

I spoke to her the other day. She is well. He is still incarcerated. I feel better about my boring dull life.

It was time for my Star Tours LL. Somone on here once said if you sit down, buckle and look up really fast you will be chosen as the rebel spy. Who was that?
Anyone, anyone?
High School GIF

Los Angeles Dodgers Sport GIF by MLB

See what I did there?😉💙

D7D3D0B5-DE5F-4CA7-8606-D55F93AED17C.jpeg

But that person failed to mention where the camera is. (It’s to the right)

I made another LL also…Not a huge fan of the time but I had learned my lesson.

7F294396-D3DF-46C7-B902-872F1C81D7D8.png

Then I headed out. Epcot bound!

jasminethecat

@Darstarr You certainly shared a beer with a fascinating stranger! Uncle Iroh would be proud.

To your previous mention about lavender and plum, i don't hate it specifically. My wife loves the smell of lavender, i just would prefer tandoori chicken over lavender chicken. The jedi mind trick drink looked fruity and fun, just like me. If I hit up WDW with ya I would take all the sweet mixed drinks and ciders and you could have all the beer and sour drinks. I have been to the bubble at least 7 times and i have never done it with a buzz because we always had our own minors with us.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Pictures you took on Toy Story show characters from Toy Story 2. There is a number 9 top right and also bottom left on each card. Movie released in 1999.
No idea if that is true, but that’s where my brain went. 😁

Also I think Andy was 9 in the film? 🤷🏻‍♀️
Love that! It is as good a reason as any.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom