News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Dranth

Whenever I come across an action like this, I think “what if the opposite occurred, or if someone who is opposite the perpetrator did the same, could I still support it”

Would you feel it was ok if Obama (assuming he had the authority) took away the RCID for speaking out this exact piece of legislation?
Would you feel ok if the RCID was taken away because Disney didn’t support LGBT rights ENOUGH?

I’ll leave other scenarios at these. But if you didn’t say yes to both of these, then you fundamentally do not support what the governor is doing-you’re just providing an excuse to justify the behavior to yourself.
I’d be 100% against them taking it away because Disney did not support any group enough. If it was egregious enough to me and my values they just wouldn’t get any more of my money.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here is an interesting read on the potential impact of dissolving RCID on DVC owners from DVCnews.com:

If what they are saying here is accurate then there would likely be a decrease in DVC dues since roughly half of the taxes paid today go to RCID and those taxes would go away. There would then be a potential increase in taxes paid to Orange County but the potential tax increase for all Orange County tax payers (including DVC owners) is estimated at around 25%. So roughly a 33% decrease in property taxes for owners.

Its also interesting to note that nearly 25% of the taxes paid into RCID come from DVC owners and not TWDC directly. It surprises me the number is that high.

correcaminos

Here is an interesting read on the potential impact of dissolving RCID on DVC owners from DVCnews.com:

If what they are saying here is accurate then there would likely be a decrease in DVC dues since roughly half of the taxes paid today go to RCID and those taxes would go away. There would then be a potential increase in taxes paid to Orange County but the potential tax increase for all Orange County tax payers (including DVC owners) is estimated at around 25%. So roughly a 33% decrease in property taxes for owners.

Its also interesting to note that nearly 25% of the taxes paid into RCID come from DVC owners and not TWDC directly. It surprises me the number is that high.
As a DVC owner who is so jaded I say "riiiiiiight" I read the article earlier though with interest. Just our MFs like never go down ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As a DVC owner who is so jaded I say "riiiiiiight" I read the article earlier though with interest. Just our MFs like never go down ;)
Using the math they gave and a 25% increase in Orange County taxes it’s about 57 cents a point decrease in dues :) They will probably charge us for part of the legal costs to take this to court so the best we can hope for…..breakeven ;)

correcaminos

Using the math they gave and a 25% increase in Orange County taxes it’s about 57 cents a point decrease in dues :) They will probably charge us for part of the legal costs to take this to court so the best we can hope for…..breakeven ;)
Yesssss Yes GIF

GoofGoof

Premium Member

flynnibus

Premium Member

It's all hand waving at this point. Their closing statements sum it up...

"Without Reedy Creek Improvement District, DVC owners may see a nearly 50% reduction in their property tax liability. That is unlikely to be the end of the story, given that it leaves Orange and Osceola Counties with a $163 million budget shortfall to overcome. A combination of increasing taxes on all residents and slashing services in the Walt Disney World area are the most direct ways of closing the gap. Florida officials may be able to construct some manner of maintaining the RCID tax structure while still limiting Disney’s control over the region. If they have some specific plan in mind, it has not yet been outlined. "

It's fun to compare numbers... but it's a situation DVC members are unlikely ever to see as presented.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's all hand waving at this point. Their closing statements sum it up...

"Without Reedy Creek Improvement District, DVC owners may see a nearly 50% reduction in their property tax liability. That is unlikely to be the end of the story, given that it leaves Orange and Osceola Counties with a $163 million budget shortfall to overcome. A combination of increasing taxes on all residents and slashing services in the Walt Disney World area are the most direct ways of closing the gap. Florida officials may be able to construct some manner of maintaining the RCID tax structure while still limiting Disney’s control over the region. If they have some specific plan in mind, it has not yet been outlined. "

It's fun to compare numbers... but it's a situation DVC members are unlikely ever to see as presented.
For sure. I wasn’t really implying we’d see a 33% reduction in taxes paid. There’s almost zero chance this ends with RCID dissolved and all Orange County taxpayers getting a 25% tax increase. It’s just a fun fact that so much of the RCID tax base comes from DVC owners.

drizgirl

Politics aside... Most schools have zero tolerance for some offenses. If a teacher is convicted of a crime, they are probably not going to be allowed to continue teaching, especially if the crime involved drugs or sexual misconduct.

Also, students today tend to be very vocal. At the slightest whiff of anything they deem inappropriate- they are not silent. Especially at the middle and high school levels.

Teachers are strictly bound in some ways. They can't show an R-rated film, for example.

Discussing race, sexuality and religion have also long been fraught subjects to discuss in the classroom. In some contexts they can be discussed, but parents have long had the ability to object.
But the law in questions is precisely about K-3, which is why it has a high level of support.

lazyboy97o

I’m sure this is going to open a can of unrelated worms, but it speaks to a troubling pattern of which the district dissolution legislation appears to be a part. Text messages from Representative Fine were released this weekend in which he threatens funding as retaliation because a political opponent was invited to an event. We even see the same sort of language that has been used regarding Disney, ”Smart move is to cancel with apology for wading into politics.” If his statements during the special session were not damning enough, I now expect discovery to unearth even more that will plainly demonstrate the retaliatory intent of his legislation.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
For sure. I wasn’t really implying we’d see a 33% reduction in taxes paid. There’s almost zero chance this ends with RCID dissolved and all Orange County taxpayers getting a 25% tax increase. It’s just a fun fact that so much of the RCID tax base comes from DVC owners.

That's by design. Get someone else to pay for the maintenance, preferably someone who cant vote.

Lilofan

@Andrew C your travel time to WDW May get a lot shorter if this happens ;););)

Just a little light hearted fun since this is a pretty serious topic :)
A summer in central TX makes Orlando at the same time feel like fall weather.

JoeCamel

I’m sure this is going to open a can of unrelated worms, but it speaks to a troubling pattern of which the district dissolution legislation appears to be a part. Text messages from Representative Fine were released this weekend in which he threatens funding as retaliation because a political opponent was invited to an event. We even see the same sort of language that has been used regarding Disney, ”Smart move is to cancel with apology for wading into politics.” If his statements during the special session were not damning enough, I now expect discovery to unearth even more that will plainly demonstrate the retaliatory intent of his legislation.

Randy has a long history, nothing is hidden if they look for it

Archie123

@Andrew C your travel time to WDW May get a lot shorter if this happens ;););)

Just a little light hearted fun since this is a pretty serious topic :)

Oh god no. ANYWHERE but Texas!!!

Angel Ariel

That's swell, but when it comes to an individual child, if the kid's parents' opinion of what their child should be exposed to differs from your opinion, the parents' wishes should rule. Similarly, when it comes to the entire pool of children, if your state legislature's opinion of what the children should be exposed to differs from your opinion (as outlined in legislation), the legislature should control.
And parents have always had the option to opt their child out of family life curricula, just for this reason. That’s been standard for decades.

MandaM

Why are you some comfortable with anyone other than you making that judgement on your behalf? They certainly don't have your interests at heart. Wouldn't you rather be presented with all the facts so you can decide what's relevant or worth consideration?
Why do you keep ignoring the fact that DeSantis has repeatedly lied about multiple things regarding Reedy Creek? Why should reporters print his vague assurances, which are quite transparent, as facts when he’s proven to not be trustworthy on this matter? Has Scott Randolph lied? Which one is actually making partisan statements? Hint: It’s not the tax assessor.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member

his retort is amazing...
""If I (had the intention to do that), I would have. I haven't. Never planned to. Didn't do it," he said."

Basically saying he has no resistance to abusing his power for his own personal spats. This guy is amazing... can't wait for this to make the news "Elected Florida Representative threatens special olymipics over fundraiser". Hope people roast this turkey - he's clearly not intelligent enough to cover up his willingness to abuse his office. (Or so drunk on his position that he thinks he's untouchable... probably that)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom