Anyone know how the crowds have been this week?

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
I'm curious to know how crowded it was this past week. Up here in Massachusetts, its April vacation and I know a lot of families who headed down to Florida. I myself have been to WDW during april vacation, and that's when I said I'd never do that again due to high crowds. I think if our April vacation is close to Easter its a bad situation (not sure why).

So if anyone has been around WDW this week, can they chime in on how good/bad/moderate the crowds have been?

Sbk1234

I was there last week April 10-14 (not counting travel days.) While there were certainly a lot of people, it didn't feel all too crowded. Certainly no more than any summer that I've been there before, pre-pandemic.
We only used Genie Plus at Magic Kingdom, and got on most everything we wanted to in all parks. We were there from rope drop to close most every day, except for Disney Hollywood Studios, when we were basically done by the mid afternoon.

Royal Purple Pigment

I was at EPCOT, Hollywood Studios, and Magic Kingdom on Saturday. I noticed reduced crowd levels at all parks compared to the previous month. I was at EPCOT on Monday and it was the least crowded I had seen it in a long time. There was a lot of room to move around the World Showcase. I think that was the day the close up meet and greets arrived so maybe everyone was just in line for characters.

Trackmaster

I was there last week April 10-14 (not counting travel days.) While there were certainly a lot of people, it didn't feel all too crowded. Certainly no more than any summer that I've been there before, pre-pandemic.
We only used Genie Plus at Magic Kingdom, and got on most everything we wanted to in all parks. We were there from rope drop to close most every day, except for Disney Hollywood Studios, when we were basically done by the mid afternoon.

But summers aren't really supposed to be Disney's busiest time of the year. Rational people generally don't say "Well, its the hottest time of the year, and now that the weather is perfect up here up north, let's go fry ourselves to death in Florida." No, November-April are much more attractive times to go. You'll find that the summer and early fall aren't that bad at WDW, but the biggest crowds are going to hit in the winter through April.

Trackmaster

To me, what is less important than the observed crowd levels, are the rationales behind the observed data, and how they could help with future decision. I have my thoughts and theories, but does anybody else want to chime in on what's driving the unprecedented demand?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
To me, what is less important than the observed crowd levels, are the rationales behind the observed data, and how they could help with future decision. I have my thoughts and theories, but does anybody else want to chime in on what's driving the unprecedented demand?

Likely pent up demand.

Disney4Lyfe

I was there this past week.

It was quite crowded, but manageable.

I talked to a CM at the AKL and she said they have been slammed since Nov. basically nonstop. But they are expecting a slow down this week.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
But summers aren't really supposed to be Disney's busiest time of the year
In all honesty, I've never heard that. All I keep hearing about is how crowded July and Aug are. The undercover tourist seems to back that up, with showing red. It seems to ease up the later you get into Aug, as many southern schools start back up.

Disstevefan1

Generally speaking, this May will be busier than the month of May in previous years, this June will be busier than the month of June in previous years etc.

I suspect it will be busier than pre pandemic levels because there is still A LOT of revenge vacations happening!

The way Disney Data measures more or less busier times is with the tiered ticket prices.

So the more expensive the day ticket is, the busier Disney Data thinks it will be.

I guess the park pass reservation system does lower the attendance but not enough such that it feel any less mobbed.

Nottamus

I’m here now, and this is our usual Go to week, the week after Easter week.

It’s not wall to wall humans, but It is way more busier than this week in the past!

ppete1975

But summers aren't really supposed to be Disney's busiest time of the year. Rational people generally don't say "Well, its the hottest time of the year, and now that the weather is perfect up here up north, let's go fry ourselves to death in Florida." No, November-April are much more attractive times to go. You'll find that the summer and early fall aren't that bad at WDW, but the biggest crowds are going to hit in the winter through April.
Never heard that, and I've always been under the impression that school being out has driven the June-August crowds regardless of weather.

Trackmaster

Never heard that, and I've always been under the impression that school being out has driven the June-August crowds regardless of weather.

Nah, not really. Parents will pull their kids out of school to go to Disney. For the more responsible parents, the summer is three months long, so its not going to create the same log jam as spring break and winter break. What really drives it is weather. Florida isn't that appeal when its brutal down here and more pleasant up north. They really want to be here when its cold up north and perfect down here. As I was saying, the ONLY thing that makes summers more crowded are the South American tour groups. who come here in the summer because its their winter at that time.

ppete1975

Nah, not really. Parents will pull their kids out of school to go to Disney. For the more responsible parents, the summer is three months long, so its not going to create the same log jam as spring break and winter break. What really drives it is weather. Florida isn't that appeal when its brutal down here and more pleasant up north. They really want to be here when its cold up north and perfect down here. As I was saying, the ONLY thing that makes summers more crowded are the South American tour groups. who come here in the summer because its their winter at that time.
Youre talking local... i know most people that have to fly to florida look at it as a summer vacation, and are unaware or dont care about the weather. Taking a week or 2 to go to disney is hard to take your kids out of school that long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom