DIS Is Not Performing Well.. How Will This Effect Disneyworld?

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
DIS has been on a downward trend since February of 2021. If DIS continues to fall, will this negatively effect the theme parks and future projects in the WDW area? What does it mean for Disney's current theme park trends? What does this mean for announced projects like re-themes and new offerings? What does it mean for the parks as a whole?

I'm curious what the community's thoughts are on these matters. If the bears continue to get their way, I would think Disney would have second thoughts and hesitations when it comes to new offerings at the parks. I don't think it will have a direct consequence on crowds, but future park changes due to lower stock prices could further spread the notion that WDW is becoming less and less consumer friendly.

Please do not bring politics into this thread - We should only discuss what the overall stock price picture could mean for the theme parks in the country, and NOT the reasons as to why DIS is suffering.

Here's a stock chart since last year:

1650513777681.png

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

I think the stock is taking a hit more due to the novelty of Disney Plus wearing off. People have had it now awhile, and while they have added content...it might not be enough to keep consumers into it. So that hurts it. The parks have seemed to doing great but maybe they overplayed their hand in pricing. I think sit down options at the park have reached critical mass in pricing. I am all for having a restaurant or two in a park that are charging higher prices but when all of them are charging high prices even an average restaurant is charging $29 for a chicken dish or spaghetti and meatballs..too much. Same with snacks...7 bucks for a pretzel?
Room prices rose so high that might be scaring future bookings. Finally the odl Genie...can we put him back in the bottle? I am pretty Disney Savy and even I don't know exactly how it works and I have read a few guides. People dont want much complication.... especially if they are paying extra for it.
BTW...lots of stocks are down. Starbucks isn't near it's highs....

DonaldDoleWhip

As far as stocks go, the last company I worked at (tech-adjacent eComm brand that IPO’d in the fall) is down 67% YTD. Disney’s 21% dip looks meager in comparison.

From that standpoint, I’d like to think no effect; Disney is resilient enough to weather current external factors and prove why it’s a worthwhile investment. After all, stock price should reflect a long-term forecast, but that’s harder to practice when the macro environment looks dire.

Vegas Disney Fan

I still think the better comparison is against Feb 2020, before all the pandemic craziness and speculation, when Disney stock was in the high 130s.

It’s down about $13 from where it was pre pandemic, if it dips below $115 Chapek will probably be on the hot seat and I don’t see how he keeps his job if it hits $100.

Disney has had a lot of missteps recently and Chapek doesn’t have the same charm as Iger to put a better spin on it.

Raxel7851

We chose Discovery+ over Disney+ simply for the incredible amount of content. And at $6.95 a month without Ads, we find it reasonable price. It may be comparing 🍎 to 🍊, for us it works better.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You view it as being down.

I view it as being available to purchase at a discount.
Wait for the discount to get better. ;)

DIS is up 9%... over the last 5 years. Not exactly stellar performance. But that's what you get when you leverage the farm on buying 2CF, starting a money-sucking streaming service, and invest in shoddy/cheap technology over providing world-class customer service that the company was built on and known for and then charge more for it all. But I digress.

JustAFan

Disney is here to stay. You can even point to business decisions like Genie+, minor in the grand scheme of things, or the larger Disney Plus as things that may not be going well for you and me, the consumers. But, the company identified by the stock symbol DIS is a large financial conglomerate with many branches. There are natural corrections in the market from time to time. As far as how this stock is performing, it won't slide forever. It's a buy in my opinion.

Dog Ate Mouse

Disney is at the beginning of the end as long as Chapek is allowed to remain in charge. Get rid of Chapek, change your image due to the black eye he caused and go back to what you do best. Entertainment for all with mind blowing experiences. Stop being so greedy and take a good look at yourself as a company and realize it was customer service, great attractions and entertainment and great movies. I really feel right now the current CEO does not understand what Disney is all about at all. A lot of families are leaving DIsney. Mine has and my extended family has, and a lot of their friends' families has. Right now, Universal Orlando is going to come out a really big winner of all this after all of the fallout is over for Disney.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I don't think there's a single answer but here's my take on some of the reasons why it may be impacted.
Disney taking a political stand - I don't think it matters which side of the fence on that topic but rather it rattled investors that Disney coming hard out on a given political stance.

Fallout of losing its special status in Florida, there's a fair amount of unknown tied to that - again investors don't like unknown.

Disney + while successful, I think things are evening out, that is no more explosive growth.

Media coverage of Disney being a bit negative, whether you're talking about the current CEO, its pricing at the park or anything else. Its not been all that positive.

jloucks

I don't think there's a single answer but here's my take on some of the reasons why it may be impacted.
Disney taking a political stand - I don't think it matters which side of the fence on that topic but rather it rattled investors that Disney coming hard out on a given political stance.

Fallout of losing its special status in Florida, there's a fair amount of unknown tied to that - again investors don't like unknown.

Disney + while successful, I think things are evening out, that is no more explosive growth.

Media coverage of Disney being a bit negative, whether you're talking about the current CEO, its pricing at the park or anything else. Its not been all that positive.
The thing about politics right now is that if you take a stance on either side of the line, you immediately tick off a significant portion of the population.

What portion? About 50% based on the last presidential election results.

The willingness of corporations to get political in this climate is also fascinating as generally corporations are heartless money-suckers who want as many hosts on which to feed as possible.

Unless this is just a sacrificial step towards something that will create more hosts. It has to be that, no?

jloucks

Disney is at the beginning of the end as long as Chapek is allowed to remain in charge. Get rid of Chapek, change your image due to the black eye he caused and go back to what you do best. Entertainment for all with mind blowing experiences. Stop being so greedy and take a good look at yourself as a company and realize it was customer service, great attractions and entertainment and great movies. I really feel right now the current CEO does not understand what Disney is all about at all. A lot of families are leaving DIsney. Mine has and my extended family has, and a lot of their friends' families has. Right now, Universal Orlando is going to come out a really big winner of all this after all of the fallout is over for Disney.
Maybe not beginning of the end, but possibly beginning of a decline. Netflix is feeling it too.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
The thing about politics right now is that if you take a stance on either side of the line, you immediately tick off a significant portion of the population.
No question and again without going into the rightness or wrongness of that law, from what little I do know, its highly and widely supported by the citizens of Florida. My point here is that a CEO who doesn't live in Florida is dictating how his company is going to use its resources to fight a bill (or a law) that many Floridians agree with. That has to cause some ripple effect on the stock price.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
The 1 month snapshot of Disney stock is well surprising, the downward trend is inescapable. I read somewhere that Capek was in danger of getting fired. to be honest, given the negative press and now the stock price not showing any signs if improving. He's in deep weeds. I don't know if he will, or should be fired but shareholders cannot be happy over their ownership stake decreasing in value
1650640957036.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom