News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

I get that but in this case it seems that it’s more political grandstanding than anything else. If I tell you that I’m mad at you in front of all my friends who are morons and then throw a soft foam ball at your face which makes you wince but do nothing else I’m not sure that you could consider that anything more than me flexing my muscles.
It’s not just grandstanding. There are consequences that will negatively impact not just Disney.

MandaM

not true. this is about keeping these companies out of the political arena. They have no business being there and should just stick to what they do best...entertainment!
The 1st Amendment gives Disney the right to express political opinions. It’s illegal for the gvmt to retaliate for that. And all major corporations are involved in politics. That’s why lobbying exists.

yensidtlaw1969

I get that but in this case it seems that it’s more political grandstanding than anything else. If I tell you that I’m mad at you in front of all my friends who are morons and then throw a soft foam ball at your face which makes you wince but do nothing else I’m not sure that you could consider that anything more than me flexing my muscles.
. . . And what part of that "metaphor" do you think applies to this situation?

Disstevefan1

I have read this by several posters. I've even seen people list reasons why (e.g. drop the bond debt on the county, reduced taxes, etc.).

The thing is, if Disney is a big winner with the end of RCID, then why is there already word that Disney intends to fight this in court?

The current statue allows Disney to initialize termination of RCID whenever it wants:

189.072 Dissolution of an independent special district.—​
(1) VOLUNTARY DISSOLUTION.—If the governing body of an independent special district created and operating pursuant to a special act elects, by a majority vote plus one, to dissolve the district, the voluntary dissolution of an independent special district created and operating pursuant to a special act may be effectuated only by the Legislature unless otherwise provided by general law.​

If ending RCID is so great for Disney, then why didn't Disney start this process years ago?

Disney seems to know something the general public is missing.
It would be my preference RCID stay. I think either way, Disney will win and if RCID is gone, a lot of Florida tax payers lose.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
It's not a question of "can they?" but "should they?" And that goes for both parties. I blame Disney for getting political when they should be focusing on their falling stock, Streaming viewership and unhappy park guests. I blame Florida for being Florida.

the_rich

This situation is not a retaliation against free speech. It is a retaliation against a corporation that has special privileges in the state of Florida that publicly stated it would step into the political arena to fight a law passed by the same state it enjoys special treatment. Disney stated they would stop political contributions and fight the law in the courts. Florida warned Disney that there would be consequences if they continued. Disney continued, Florida made good on their promise.

The state of Florida also used this situation to fight back against “wokeism”, which I applaud their efforts. Just because you are the loudest minority doesn’t mean special privileges. Everyone deserves the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, not special privileges because of your feelings, or whom you sleep with.
You don't understand free speech then. You even said it yourself, its retaliation for Disney saying something political. That is not allowed based on the US constitution.

Chip Chipperson

It's not grandstanding if you actually do the thing you say you're going to do. This isn't "1984" where we all pretend we didn't hear or see what the politicians involved have said was the reason for their actions.

Dog Ate Mouse

Disney deserves what it got in this issue.

Chapek should be fired. Disney is an entertainment company and not a caterer to the left or right. Disney should be doing what they had done best for a long, long time. That is entertain and make a park for everyone like they have in the past. Chapek throws his hat in the ring and burns the company. Temperance in business has always been the best form of operation, know when to speak and know when not to speak.

If Capek would have kept his mouth shut and tried not to cater to a minority, do you really think this would have at all happened? There are teachings in schools of sexual orientation truly going in schools in the USA. This I have seen and told firsthand by teachers. Here is how I look at it. No one will tell little ones about sexual orientation at that young age. Let the children be children, it is not the schools right and is the right of the parents. No critical race theory which is completely bogus and brain washing.

I am not going back to Disney for a very long time. The sad part is either is my daughter and her family/my grandchildren. Disney streaming has been cancelled and a lot of parents out there has lost trust in Disney and will take a lot of work to try and get them back. Disney overreached and got what they asked for. The stocks are far from over from spiraling downward. Disney streaming will eventually be a Netflix if it is already not heading that way.

Goodbye Disney, I have a lot of better places to spend my money and be entertained. Yes, I am angry at Disney because there was a lot of happy times there. But they get so dam greedy and forget what the goal and reason they were in business for. Disney was better than that. But sadly, no more. I am not the only family that feels this way and Disney now has to crash and figure out what to do and correct the ship if that is even possible.

durangojim

. . . And what part of that "metaphor" do you think applies to this situation?
We have people on this board saying that the only people who will be harmed are the taxpayers and not Disney themselves. So in this case I think the metaphor applies. Desantis gets to look tough and powerful in front of his constituents, Disney isn’t harmed except in the court of public opinion and the stock price and the guests don’t notice any difference to their experience.

the_rich

Disney deserves what it got in this issue.

Chapek should be fired. Disney is an entertainment company and not a caterer to the left or right. Disney should be doing what they had done best for a long, long time. That is entertain and make a park for everyone like they have in the past. Chapek throws his hat in the ring and burns the company. Temperance in business has always been the best form of operation, know when to speak and know when not to speak.

If Capek would have kept his mouth shut and tried not to cater to a minority, do you really think this would have at all happened? There are teachings in schools of sexual orientation truly going in schools in the USA. This I have seen and told firsthand by teachers. Here is how I look at it. No one will tell little ones about sexual orientation at that young age. Let the children be children, it is not the schools right and is the right of the parents. No critical race theory which is completely bogus and brain washing.

I am not going back to Disney for a very long time. The sad part is either is my daughter and her family/my grandchildren. Disney streaming has been cancelled and a lot of parents out there has lost trust in Disney and will take a lot of work to try and get them back. Disney overreached and got what they asked for. The stocks are far from over from spiraling downward. Disney streaming will eventually be a Netflix if it is already not heading that way.

Goodbye Disney, I have a lot of better places to spend my money and be entertained. Yes, I am angry at Disney because there was a lot of happy times there. But they get so dam greedy and forget what the goal and reason they were in business for. Disney was better than that. But sadly, no more. I am not the only family that feels this way and Disney now has to crash and figure out what to do and correct the ship if that is even possible.
You can feel this way and not give them any of ur money. That is a consequence of their stance. What the government is doing is not allowed under the constitution.

lazyboy97o

We have people on this board saying that the only people who will be harmed are the taxpayers and not Disney themselves. So in this case I think the metaphor applies. Desantis gets to look tough and powerful in front of his constituents, Disney isn’t harmed except in the court of public opinion and the stock price and the guests don’t notice any difference to their experience.
There is harm to Disney, it’s just not what a lot of people think. That there is harm to others just makes it worse. How would you like it if I punched you over something your coworker said, even if it was awful and deserving of a punch?

durangojim

There is harm to Disney, it’s just not what a lot of people think. That there is harm to others just makes it worse. How would you like it if I punched you over something your coworker said, even if it was awful and deserving of a punch?
According to your and others statements though we’re taking about the consequences to Disney. I think if other parties are injured that has nothing to do with retaliation becuase they weren’t mentioned and are an unfortunate side effect.

peter11435

The RCID was mutually beneficial for all parties. For over 50 years it has benefited Disney, Orange and Osceola Counties, the state of Florida, and Floridians. Its dissolution will harm all of those involved in different ways. TWDC is prepared and capable of handling the consequences, the local governments and taxpayers are not.

lazyboy97o

If the actions don’t cause the intended party harm then it’s a pretty weak form of retaliation.
It’s not a question of strength. Light suppression of free speech isn’t okay.

According to your and others statements though we’re taking about the consequences to Disney. I think if other parties are injured that has nothing to do with retaliation becuase they weren’t mentioned and are an unfortunate side effect.
The other parties being injuries are part of the retaliation since they side with Disney and oppose the actions of state Republicans.

durangojim

The RCID was mutually beneficial for all parties. For over 50 years it has benefited Disney, Orange and Osceola Counties, the state of Florida, and Floridians. Its dissolution will harm all of those involved in different ways. TWDC is prepared and capable of handling the consequences, the local governments and taxpayers are not.
I agree with your statement 1000%. I want Reedy Creek to stick around because I love the fact that Disney doesn’t have to jump through hoops through local government to accomplish things. I guess I’m just so skeptical these days because I see people stating this is a First Amendment issue and the government is retaliating well I see many people complaining that the second amendment is being infringed punt all the time. I feel like people try to have it both ways often. And who’s right or wrong comes completely down to what side of the political aisle somebody sits on. It’s frustrating and disheartening. I really wish they could be another party called the common sense party but I know that is very unlikely to ever happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom