News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

SirLink

I could agree if you're referring to public criticism and backlash in certain media and even public callouts by DeSantis, along with people boycotting Disney, not going to the parks, canceling Disney+, etc. Obviously when you make a stand on a hot topic you're inviting the possibility of bringing that on. But I don't think DeSantis's move regarding RCID is really defensible.

Disney could of stayed quiet and told its employees 'we are an entertainment company, not a political institution' instead of picking a political fight in Florida

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Freedom of speech does not remove freedom of consequence.
You might want to read up on caselaw and the constitution: Freedom of speech in the US is freedom of speech without government consequences (with obvious exceptions for screaming fire, threatening life of POTUS, etc).

How is what the State of Florida doing NOT a first amendment violation?

ctrlaltdel

Disney could of stayed quiet and told its employees 'we are an entertainment company, not a political institution' instead of picking a political fight in Florida
I mean we could talk all day about how they screwed the pooch on this one. They managed to make everyone angry on both sides of the issue. Of course they made the people in power angry last and those folks want to make Disney pay… even if it’s not thought out and lashing out likely won’t help the state of Florida and it’s people.

durangojim

Or just say that they disagree with the legislation as written and will work to continue to support the LGBTQ community.
Chapek should have anticipated this. It was a major blunder the way it played out. Also those of you talking about this being a first amendment violation (which it may be) are acting like anyone really cares or follows the constitution anymore other than people complaining on the internet. Yes I’m jaded about politics and government and don’t trust either side.

lordsigma

Sure - and then they wouldn't get the press attention and people punishing them with their wallet. Again - I agree that opening your mouth on a controversial topic opens yourself up to criticism and backlash from those who will object to what you are opining on. But retaliation by the government for speech is on a whole different level.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Donating to politics (EVEN BOTH SIDES) is what got Disney into this mess.. Besides, Chapek can save $$$ by donating to NO ONE!
I am beyond certain that Disney is preparing to bombard every politician who supported then, and the challengers to those that didn't with more money than they need to win.

lazyboy97o

You might want to read up on caselaw and the constitution: Freedom of speech in the US is freedom of speech without government consequences (with obvious exceptions for screaming fire, threatening life of POTUS, etc).

How is what the State of Florida doing NOT a first amendment violation?
Even yelling fire in a crowded fire isn’t actually illegal. It was an example given as part of the establishment of the “clear and present danger” doctrine that was replaced over 50 years ago.
Not when Disney internally was issuing libelous statements at a company retreat, re:new legislation, if that was the UK - Disney would be in high court paying damages.
It doesn’t matter what Disney was saying. You are just wrong. Florida is not in the UK.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
In order for the Legislature to dissolve an active independent special district created and operating pursuant to a special act, the special act dissolving the active independent special district must be approved by a majority of the resident electors of the district or, for districts in which a majority of governing body members are elected by landowners, a majority of the landowners voting in the same manner by which the independent special district’s governing body is elected. If a local general-purpose government passes an ordinance or resolution in support of the dissolution, the local general-purpose government must pay any expenses associated with the referendum required under this paragraph.

^
from a Florida statute in regards to special districts. So it looks like this is the roadblock that will stop it from actually happening. I doubt anyone living in the district would vote to dissolve it.

Yeah...the 20 or so residents.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom