Do I need to bring my phone?

Diamond Dot

I only used my phone as a camera and to watch movies and listen to music while in line. I'm not a big phone user anyway, this forum is the only social media presence I have and it's not something I need to be checking because of FOMO

correcaminos

Wouldn’t they need a phone to see when their return time is called?
It's easier yes, but not needed. You can ask a CM and such where you are and the VQs give a rough idea on when to look. Or if you were like me getting BGs 10-15 you know to go shortly after opening tooo Right now one doesn't need a phone though as no VQs. One could make it through without a phone if needed. But for VQs you would need something to try to join at 7am. After that you would rely on CMs to help or going to the ride often. Not great but not needed

correcaminos

I think we have established that a phone isn't "required", the question is, can a phone significantly improve your park experience.
Honestly what I stated when I quoted your post was off topic, but then again your post was as well as the OP wasn't saying they'd have zero access. Just wifi only. The only thing an activated phone has vs wifi only is better access. Which I personally think is a bad idea.

Walt Disney1955

Your last trip was 2018 according to another post. It's a totally different ballgame now.

An honest question, but how so?

If it was 2018 how on earth did they do WS first unless they never arrived at park opening while having people looking on their phones so much? WS only recently opened same time (pandemic hours) after not having it that way for about 30 years.

I did check on this, and that was true. I got some of the other parks mixed up with Epcot. With Epcot we did the World Showcase as soon as it was possible. And we did it the opposite way (counter clockwise) which sort of strayed away from the Frozen lines early on. It worked.

Ditto Universal. I don't think anything has changed, at least from first hand experience from me, since the 1990s. Go to the back and take advantage of the short lines since most haven't traveled back there yet. If everyone is looking at their phone and say "Wow, only 30 minute wait for Splash" then all of the sudden there is going to be a 65 minute wait. I trust my instincts a lot more, and it works. For example, in Adventureland, there was a generous line for the Magic Carpets, Jungle Cruise and Pirates. But a 5 minute wait for the Tiki birds. Then nothing of course for Swiss Family Treehouse. By the time we got down, one of the three had a lesser line than before. All I can say is that is the system I've always used, and still do. So I've always felt I can beat the lines better than others who look at their phone.

correcaminos

I did check on this, and that was true. I got some of the other parks mixed up with Epcot. With Epcot we did the World Showcase as soon as it was possible. And we did it the opposite way (counter clockwise) which sort of strayed away from the Frozen lines early on. It worked.

Ditto Universal. I don't think anything has changed, at least from first hand experience from me, since the 1990s. Go to the back and take advantage of the short lines since most haven't traveled back there yet. If everyone is looking at their phone and say "Wow, only 30 minute wait for Splash" then all of the sudden there is going to be a 65 minute wait. I trust my instincts a lot more, and it works. For example, in Adventureland, there was a generous line for the Magic Carpets, Jungle Cruise and Pirates. But a 5 minute wait for the Tiki birds. Then nothing of course for Swiss Family Treehouse. By the time we got down, one of the three had a lesser line than before. All I can say is that is the system I've always used, and still do. So I've always felt I can beat the lines better than others who look at their phone.
Adding in ILL and Genie+ has changed how people go. Since Frozen also opened at opening and not 11, going counterclockwise really doesn't make a difference for Epcot too. I find now, one can enjoy a lot of WS early but quite a few shops do not open until 11. We missed a few because of that. With not all shops open too it's different.

What I did in 2018 is worlds different than 2021 or now even 2022.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Crowd levels for one. There was definitely pent up demand for WDW trips so we were seeing Summer like crowd levels in February and March. This is made worse by the fact that not everything has reopened yet, although things are getting better.

Although I don't know if it has been confirmed, there some indication that when rides are loading the ratio between lightning lane and standby is even higher then it was with Fastpass which further disadvantages standby.

correcaminos

Crowd levels for one. There was definitely pent up demand for WDW trips so we were seeing Summer like crowd levels in February and March. This is made worse by the fact that not everything has reopened yet, although things are getting better.

Although I don't know if it has been confirmed, there some indication that when rides are loading the ratio between lightning lane and standby is even higher then it was with Fastpass which further disadvantages standby.
March is spring break time so bad comparison. What we see in March is usually worse than summer. TBH spring break 2019 was nearly identical to what I saw in 2022. Like usual, mornings were decent but around 11-12 crowds were big.

I do think more LL vs Standby is loaded but as a whole LL lines were waaaaay shorter than FP lines.

An issue remains with lack of dining and shows. That doesn't help to disperse crowds as usual.

Walt Disney1955

I`ll say what I have said before. Fastpass does not improve the park experience. Or Genie + or whatever. A good flowing line, no matter how long it may be works better than stand still.

So here is the thing though, and I guess I'll have to find out myself either way, but if everyone is still doing the same thing, wouldn't it be productive to do the opposite though still? No matter if it is 2022 or years prior.

Married5Times

Genie+ and Lighting Lane
- Mobile food ordering
- Mobile merchandise checkout
- Virtual queues for standby at restaurants.
- mobile hotel check-in so you don't have to go to the front desk
- Interacting with thing in Galaxy's Edge.
- Virtual queues. There aren't any at the moment but I wouldn't be surprised to see them come back when new rides open.

garbage items

tanc

it's becoming a disadvantage not to have one I think. Mobile ordering is the way to go lately, most people are using it. As much as I hate the shift to phones, there's really not much we can do. I think Disney just wants to get rid of the magic band system eventually, which is sad.

payload

While not needed...like everyone else is stating - the experience is greatly enhanced with it and will ultimately save you time throughout the park in various capacities.

Skibum1970

To each his own. I am a fan of mobile order and mobile check-in, both make my vacation experience better. As for virtual queues, whether you liked them or not it was your only choice if you wanted to ride those rides.

Especially mobile check-in, as it is so nice to just show up and go to a room instead of waiting in the line at check-in. Having a phone is nice to check ride times even if you aren't using Genie+. How much you want to use one is up to the visitor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom