Connections Cafe and Eatery

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
20220327_150041.jpg

As of 10 minutes ago

SplashJacket

I like this for what is it, but let’s be clear… it’s not inspired by Walt’s vision, it’s just quite literally Walt’s vision used as a small design element. It’s like putting a picture of a beach on a wall and saying you’ve created a tropical destination.
Walt's Vision for E.P.C.O.T. died with his death.

His vision would never come to fruition, which leaves two options, acknowledging it, or ignoring it.

They're choosing to acknowledge it.

We can either see this acknowledgment as pandering or a thoughtful salute to what came before.

Ultimately, any design commending the past can be seen as pandering, so we can either appreciate a lovely detail or disdain it as disingenuous.

lazyboy97o

His vision would never come to fruition, which leaves two options, acknowledging it, or ignoring it.

We can either see this acknowledgment as pandering or a thoughtful salute to what came before.

Ultimately, any design commending the past can be seen as pandering, so we can either appreciate a lovely detail or disdain it as disingenuous.
What makes a storytelling detail is purpose and meaning. It isn’t just some obscure thing. The defining characteristic of EPCOT was its organization. Ripping out the organization of Epcot and claiming it’s inspired by EPCOT is very much shallow pandering.

No Name

Well there’s a set of different options, which is that you can either do something at least in the spirit of the idea, or not. They’ve went both routes before, both after Walt’s death. So really there are four options.

You can do something in the spirit of the idea, and play on the fact that you are (early Epcot).

You can do something in the spirit of the idea, and not play on the fact that you are (maybe Disneyland in the late 70s).

You can not do something in the spirit of the idea, and not claim that you are (edgy 90s projects like Rocket Rods).

You can not do something in the spirit of the idea, but claim that you are (THE Zach and others today).

Only the last one can be seen as pandering. If they were to say “we want to honor Walt’s vision even though we’re moving into new exciting territory” that would be different, instead Zach artfully mentions everything around Epcot except for the idea itself, because they’re trying to play off of a connection that doesn’t exist.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So in doing this, TheZach is saying, “We’re allowing guests to walk all over the original plans for this park, literally!” I wonder if he has this as flooring in his bathroom, so he can continue to all over it like he’s doing in the parks?

Yeah, it’s harsh. I don’t care. They’ve ruined a once-glorious park with empty, meaningless words and thoughtless, idiotic decisions, and he’s front and center of the crowd doing it along with Bob and Josh.

Walt d

That has to be the most GENERIC DULL boring artwork I've ever seen..
Good god, it's like "how bland can we make this..." Hell they even duplicated one of the jean jacket ladies in it twice.

Also pretty sure that mural in the background there, was lifted right from the Denver airport.
From a art stand point, this is very cool there was a lot of figuring out. To get it to work, and look right. I look forward to enjoying this. In person..

WDWJoeG

From a art stand point, this is very cool there was a lot of figuring out. To get it to work, and look right. I look forward to enjoying this. In person..
Imagine if instead of this absolute nonsense, they actually built something that was worthy of the original 1982 Epcot concept (realizing Walt's concept never happened).

Nope. Instead we get flooring maps, Guardians coaster, Nemo ride, Harmonius battleships all day long, and a Moana waterfall.

It would almost be funny if it wasn't so sad.

But Zach is wearing a retro Epcot T-shirt so he totally gets it. Sigh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom