wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

TRON Lightcycle Run construction - March 8 2022​

Tron_Full_46659.jpg

Tron_Full_46654.jpg

matt9112

Disney doesn’t have building problems. Disney simply doesn’t have a financial incentive to push Tron to have gotten it done any earlier. Once Covid came into the picture (meaning overseas, not waiting for first cases here in US) every major international company knew **** was going to hit the fan. There was absolutely no reason to get Tron built up only to have it sir in a park that was shut down, or operating at less than full capacity.

Then looking further out you had the 50th anniversary, and the pent up domestic travel demand that came from Covid starting to wind down. You didn’t need a brand new ride to spark interest or drive attendance at parks, you already had it.

Then you had Rat which was further along in construction (completed but not opended right away) and GotG which was further along in development. Your not going to open three new rides at the same time. That cannibalizes the impact of each new opening. So you got Rat at the end of this year loosely coinciding with the start of the 50th. You will get GotG in q2 2022 at roughly the halfway point of the 50th celebration and at the start of the summer season. Then you likely get Tron near end or 50th celebration.

There was never any need to push full speed and build Tron (or any other new attraction) as quickly as possible.

If only the overall guest experience was the top priority and not the marketing windows and impacts.

casplas

i am waiting in anticipation of the ride even though i cannot stand going into manical kingdom. but i wonder how they can keep that canopy if high winds or a hurricane strikes? and no, i did not misspell magical.

pdude81

i am waiting in anticipation of the ride even though i cannot stand going into manical kingdom. but i wonder how they can keep that canopy if high winds or a hurricane strikes? and no, i did not misspell magical.
The one they can deflate? If it weren't up to snuff, like all the other hardware they install that is subject to high winds and hurricanes each year, they wouldn't build it.

JMcMahonEsq

Agreed. I mean this is the first time Disney is building anything in a place like Florida that is subject to winds, storms, or hurricanes. They don’t have any experience whatsoever with building structures in that type of environment

Andrew M

It's not a barbecue umbrella. It's frame is thousands of tons of steel.
You'd be surprised how high the wind loads can be. I believe in this area of Florida it's around 55lbs/sf. So judging from my 30 second google earth takeoff, that could be over 3 million lbs of wind load. Especially with a relatively thin structure, I'd assume most of the steel supports for the canopy are designed mainly to counteract the potential uplift forces.

casplas

By following the building codes.
so do the builders of big umbrellas in high winds. do you understand any basics about wind uploads? starter. wind blows sideways, gets under a big canopy, and throws its force up and against the covering at rsates much higher than the wind is blowing. florida requires building codes to meet this force. but is there another thing in florida that is anything like this big umbrella? even their newer buildings and houses cannot tame this force of nature. but hey, if you believe, then that is all it takes i suppose. however, from lessons of the past, man trys to tame nature and yet nature always seems to tame/ exposes the hubris of man.

lazyboy97o

so do the builders of big umbrellas in high winds. do you understand any basics about wind uploads? starter. wind blows sideways, gets under a big canopy, and throws its force up and against the covering at rsates much higher than the wind is blowing. florida requires building codes to meet this force. but is there another thing in florida that is anything like this big umbrella? even their newer buildings and houses cannot tame this force of nature. but hey, if you believe, then that is all it takes i suppose. however, from lessons of the past, man trys to tame nature and yet nature always seems to tame/ exposes the hubris of man.
An umbrella isn’t a building. What specific part of the Florida Product Approval process do you find deficient?

GimpYancIent

True. Every time humans construct things that are advertised as able to withstand natures forces nature says Hold My Beer.

casplas

An umbrella isn’t a building. What specific part of the Florida Product Approval process do you find deficient?
any big surface that is above ground is a big huge umbrella dear. ceilings on the outside of buildings have to take into account uplift for what is normal for the area. big quotes for "normal for the area". but thank you for proving my point. you understand absolutely nothing about wind forces and dynamics. and simply because man approves does not mean nature obeys. and it never will! what i find deficient is those that believe simply because man says is enough to believe in the hubris of man.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom