Lin-Manuel Miranda Pitches Encanto Attraction to Chapek?

Captain Neo

It was taken from here -

"Last week Bob Chapek referred to this as the company’s new animated franchise.

Did he really?

Yes.

If I go to Disneyland, I’m going to get some sweet VIP access.

Have you started working on anything new?

No. I’m literally learning from you that Chapek said that. I talked to him and said, “I know there’s a world in which this casita lives in a theme park and we get to actually walk through it in real life.” And that’s really exciting, but the other byproduct of all these characters is that there’s a lot more folks want us to explore and a lot that’s being explored in fan art all over world. I don’t know what form that takes. I don’t know if that’s an animated series. I don’t know if that’s a second movie. I don’t know if that’s a stage adaptation where we have a little more time to go deep. I think it’s all possible, but we had no conversations about what they actually are."

"But you want a theme park attraction? What about a Colombia pavilion at EPCOT?

Well, I took my kids to Disneyland for the first time pre-pandemic a few years ago. And we sat through The Little Mermaid thing five times in a row. That’s where my brain goes. It’s like, I want to go in and out of this casita and see those characters and see the house respond because that’s something Disney can do that no one else can do.

But yeah, in terms of the world of the characters, it’s really early days on that. I don’t know what that will be."

Thanks

Sir_Cliff

An Encanto attraction obviously isn't the equivalent of a new theme park. However, if they were worried about losing a day to Universal because of the new park, a brand new and good attraction based on a popular film could be a point in favour of those going to Orlando to give up a day at, say, Universal Studios rather than skipping Epcot to visit Epic Universe.

Mac Tonight

An Encanto attraction obviously isn't the equivalent of a new theme park. However, if they were worried about losing a day to Universal because of the new park, a brand new and good attraction based on a 4-year old film could be a point in favour of those going to Orlando to give up a day at, say, Universal Studios rather than skipping Epcot to visit Epic Universe.
FTFY.

You're presupposing that the novelty of Encanto hasn't worn off by then. Though, knowing Disney, we'll likely have Encanto 2, and an announced D+ series by then.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

FTFY.

You're presupposing that the novelty of Encanto hasn't worn off by then. Though, knowing Disney, will likely have Encanto 2, and an announced D+ series by then.
Well, I could 'fix' your post about assuming Epic Universe is good, the time since the last How To Train Your Dragon film came out, etc. Who knows how any of this will play out, but, for god's sake, a land based on Avatar proved a big draw so I don't see it being a ridiculous proposition that they could attract interest in an Encanto attraction if they do a decent job.

Mac Tonight

Well, I could 'fix' your post about assuming Epic Universe is good, the time since the last How To Train Your Dragon film came out, etc. Who knows how any of this will play out, but, for god's sake, a land based on Avatar proved a big draw so I don't see it being a ridiculous proposition that they could attract interest in an Encanto attraction if they do a decent job.
HTTYD has had much more than just the films to fuel it's relevance. In fact, a new series (Dragons:The Nine Realms) is currently running on Hulu.

I'm not saying an Encanto attraction won't attract interest. But I just think it's a stretch to believe it alone would be enough to sway a family deciding between a day at Epic Universe and a day at Epcot.

And for the record, does Pandora really scratch a massive itch for Avatar the property? Or are people more interested in experiencing the tech of Flight of Passage? I can tell you that we went on Na'vi River Journey strictly because we wanted to see the AA in action. Unfortunately, it was broken, and we felt ripped off. Personally, I would never book a trip back to AK just to visit Pandora again.

Sir_Cliff

HTTYD has had much more than just the films to fuel it's relevance. In fact, a new series (Dragons:The Nine Realms) is currently running on Hulu.

I'm not saying an Encanto attraction won't attract interest. But I just think it's a stretch to believe it alone would be enough to sway a family deciding between a day at Epic Universe and a day at Epcot.

And for the record, does Pandora really scratch a massive itch for Avatar the property? Or are people more interested in experiencing the tech of Flight of Passage? I can tell you that we went on Na'vi River Journey strictly because we wanted to see the AA in action. Unfortunately, it was broken, and we felt ripped off. Personally, I would never book a trip back to AK just to visit Pandora again.
I agree, it's hard to envision an Encanto attraction being an Epic Universe killer by any stretch. I do think, though, from Disney's perspective the main issue to watch will not be if more people choose to go to Universal but if less people go to WDW as a result of the new park. I suspect Universal will be able to sell more vacation packages once the new parks open, but it remains to be seen if the new park cannibalises attendance from existing Uni or WDW parks, both, or neither. If Disney is worried their attendance will be affected, making it harder to skip any of their parks via new attractions is actually not a bad strategy and one way to do that would be to find the most skippable park (Epcot?) and add a brand new attraction. The first new World Showcase pavilion in decades with an Encanto attraction would be pretty marketable, particularly alongside Ratatouille and Guardians.

TikibirdLand

FoP was great. The tech was done beautifully. But, it is, really just Soarin'... with Banshees. Any time I go to AK, it's on the top of my list to do. But, so is Soarin' over at EPCoT Center. Navi is a different story though. It's too short. Seems they threw in all their tricks into that AA (and it IS WORTH seeing, BTW). But, the rest is just meh. The outside area is interesting. But, I would have liked to have a tour book or maybe something in the app to help me understand all the flora around there. Frankly, a lot of it was completely missed because I'm not a big garden bird. There just wasn't enough to do in there. And, that's what I'm afraid we'd end up with Encanto: a couple of rides and a lot of foliage. These lands aren't alive.

Mac Tonight

I agree, it's hard to envision an Encanto attraction being an Epic Universe killer by any stretch. I do think, though, from Disney's perspective the main issue to watch will not be if more people choose to go to Universal but if less people go to WDW as a result of the new park. I suspect Universal will be able to sell more vacation packages once the new parks open, but it remains to be seen if the new park cannibalises attendance from existing Uni or WDW parks, both, or neither. If Disney is worried their attendance will be affected, making it harder to skip any of their parks via new attractions is actually not a bad strategy and one way to do that would be to find the most skippable park (Epcot?) and add a brand new attraction. The first new World Showcase pavilion in decades with an Encanto attraction would be pretty marketable, particularly alongside Ratatouille and Guardians.
Well, if we're going to take the discussion in that direction, Epcot has a lot more it needs to do before bringing in a brand new attraction (post-Guardians) that would really make it an un-skippable park.

Update SSE
Update The Seas
Update Figment
Play Pavilion.

While I know World Showcase hasn't seen a new country since '88, I could still wait until those 4 things were done before addressing a new pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom