News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Tonto

I hate people like you! Okay I’m kidding but it’s more than a wall, it’s highly visible from multiple places within the park, hotels, the monorail, etc. I wouldn’t say it’s an incredibly themed ride because the outdoor section sacrifices making thematic sense for looking pretty, which has its merits but is certainly a trade off. I would say it’s incredibly short. And of course, they could’ve utilized the space better and almost doubled the number of riders by building a second track instead of having the ride pretend that you’re racing another group of lightcycles.

It just doesn’t add up for me, if it does for you then enjoy.
To me it sounds nitpicky, but I respect your opinion.
Personally I think Tron will be awesome and cannot wait to ride.

Marc Davis Fan

... it’s more than a wall, it’s highly visible from multiple places within the park, hotels, the monorail, etc. I wouldn’t say it’s an incredibly themed ride because the outdoor section sacrifices making thematic sense for looking pretty-ish, which has its merits but is certainly a trade off...

I rode the one in Shanghai expecting to really like it (due to the reviews), and I was moderately disappointed for exactly the reasons you're describing here.
  • The box-shaped show building is way too visible (obviously, the places in which it's visible will differ in MK, and I actually think it's hidden better in MK because in Shanghai you can even see it from Tomorrowland, but on the other hand the views across Seven Seas Lagoon and from the monorail are quite bad)
  • The indoor effects are okay, but nothing that seems really new or particularly impressive
  • The outdoor portion makes no sense thematically, breaking the immersion both on-ride and off-ride
  • If the ride time were longer, e.g., if it had a second launch or something, that would largely make up for the lack of noteworthy effects... but unfortunately, it's un-satisfyingly short
  • The queue isn't that interesting, either
That being said:
  • It can be tons of fun as long as your expectations are realistic (especially in terms of length)
  • If you ride it at night and near the back row, your experience will be a lot better (at night because your eyes are better adjusted for the indoor section, plus the lit-up canopy is less immersion-breaking; near the back because the visuals and sensations will be superior)
I'm cautiously optimistic that Cosmic Rewind will feature a sufficient ride time and better effects, to say nothing of the queue and pre-shows. It also seems like they're taking immersion more seriously.

Vinnie Mac

If they so desperately want IP for space mountain Id much rather have Wall-e than Lightyear. Enough toy story already!
Not making a case for or against IP for SM. I lowkey prefer Space Mountain to remain the same way it is for as long as logically possible. But Lightyear isn't really about the toys meaning it's not exactly "toy story". The movie is about Buzz Lightyear. Not the toy, but a genuine story about Buzz Lightyear.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The chunkiness of the stand is no big concern of mine, but, to nitpick, the light grey "V" on the front should have been rotated to be wide at top and narrow at the bottom, just like all 'wings' of the spacecraft.

Thank you! That's been bugging the hell out of me. It lends a sort of vindication to my being nitpicky for the umteenth time. It's a small thing to be sure but turning it rightside up would be sooo much better.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
Found these in the planter right outside of Guardians... Ouch.
20220301_160501.jpg

No Name

I rode the one in Shanghai expecting to really like it (due to the reviews), and I was moderately disappointed for exactly the reasons you're describing here.
  • The box-shaped show building is way too visible (obviously, the places in which it's visible will differ in MK, and I actually think it's hidden better in MK because in Shanghai you can even see it from Tomorrowland, but on the other hand the views across Seven Seas Lagoon and from the monorail are quite bad)
  • The indoor effects are okay, but nothing that seems really new or particularly impressive
  • The outdoor portion makes no sense thematically, breaking the immersion both on-ride and off-ride
  • If the ride time were longer, e.g., if it had a second launch or something, that would largely make up for the lack of noteworthy effects... but unfortunately, it's un-satisfyingly short
  • The queue isn't that interesting, either
That being said:
  • It can be tons of fun as long as your expectations are realistic (especially in terms of length)
  • If you ride it at night and near the back row, your experience will be a lot better (at night because your eyes are better adjusted for the indoor section, plus the lit-up canopy is less immersion-breaking; near the back because the visuals and sensations will be superior)
I'm cautiously optimistic that Cosmic Rewind will feature a sufficient ride time and better effects, to say nothing of the queue and pre-shows. It also seems like they're taking immersion more seriously.
Yeah I’m kind of excited for this guardians coaster. Again I wish the building wasn’t so visible and out of scale with the rest of the park but I’m curious what’s inside.

yensidtlaw1969

I love people like you. I mean we have all seen the videos. Yes it’s short but it’s an incredibly themed ride, and a unique experience.

Yet you focus on a wall. I don’t know what to tell you, except you are missing out.
"If you ignore all the bad parts, the whole thing is SO good!"

Not exactly a compelling argument.

There's no good reason Disney couldn't have done the work to make that wall part of the experience. Like we've been expecting them to for almost 70 years. It would have been easy to make the building entry mean something, and it would have been worth it to make it special. The transition from the outside world to the Game Grid of TRON should be an epic moment, but instead it's just entering a hole in the side of a warehouse.

You can enjoy the ride all you like and that's valid, but don't give them credit for work they didn't do.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

TRON? Incredibly themed?

It will be one of the least themed rides at the Magic Kingdom. That doesn't mean it won't be fun, though.
At the risk of derailing this thread further, I have to agree that TRON is woefully underbaked. Especially since the concept is clearly such an easy homerun if you'd just commit to it. There are far too many glaring moment where they just didn't bother, despite spending a huge heap of money. There's no good reason for it to be anything less than a showstopping, flagship attraction . . . and yet it falls short left and right. And the new one doesn't seem to be addressing any of those problems.

To try to jump back on topic, at least Guardians has mystery going for it - I have a slightly easier time getting excited for something I know very little about than something like TRON where I've seen it all and was disappointed. Hopefully Cosmic Rewind makes good on that surprise.

Last edited:

gorillaball

"If you ignore all the bad parts, the whole thing is SO good!"

Not exactly a compelling argument.

There's no good reason Disney couldn't have done the work to make that wall part of the experience. Like we've been expecting them to for almost 70 years. It would have been easy to make the building entry mean something, and it would have been worth it to make it special. The transition from the outside world to the Game Grid of TRON should be an epic moment, but instead it's just entering a hole in the side of a warehouse.

You can enjoy the ride all you like and that's valid, but don't give them credit for work they didn't do.
Agree the wall upon re-entry seems underwhelming from pics, I‘ll have to see if it jumps out the same when actually riding it.

I thought the same thing on what I consider a top notch ride - Hagrid’s. Such a great ride I’m a little disappointed with the painted forest on a wall. It probably jumps out at me simply because 95% of the ride they made every effort to theme, and that part looks like it got the leftover treatment.

Poseidon Quest

I keep seeing Gringott comparisons. These rides seem very different to me.
Gringotts is barely a coaster. I feel like its more of a dark ride on a coaster track.
Dont get me wrong, I love Gringotts, but GOTG feels more like a coaster experience.

My specific issue is that Disney has been touting Guardians as using a unique and never seen before ride system, as if putting YAW capability on a coaster car is innovative when Intamin did it 8 years prior. I agree that Gringotts is much more akin to Spider-Man and Transformers in that it stop the cars at the scenes, but it has the same capability as the Guardians trains. An issue I continue to have with Disney marketing and executives is how they talk down to their consumers and this is just another prominent example of it.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
I thought the same thing on what I consider a top notch ride - Hagrid’s. Such a great ride I’m a little disappointed with the painted forest on a wall. It probably jumps out at me simply because 95% of the ride they made every effort to theme, and that part looks like it got the leftover treatment.
That painted wall is left from Dragon Challenge. They planted some crazy amount of trees with Hagrid's. It's going to take some time for them to grow. In a couple years, when the foliage comes in, it will be beautiful.

OG Runner

Part of the reason is... Anyone can ride The Haunted Mansion. Its not extreme and is technically a calm ride.
Lots of people will want to see the POV to see how it looks if they can't ride it... or want to know if they will make it.

I don't know, I am great with the POVs of all of the coasters in Florida. It is when I am actually standing
in line to ride one that I lose my mind. o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom