Iconic Purple Directional Signs Being Replaced

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Right, like I said, it may be a result of a variety of factors coming together that ultimately make green a more effective option, but from a pure contrast perspective, green and orange are much more difficult to deal with than blue and red.
In practical terms…I believe they said that the reflective white on the green tends to be picked up more…I’m not sure if that’s biology or a learned pattern based on the drivers?

Poseidon Quest

Does anyone doubt that more generic/less specialized colors and schemes are cheaper longterm from a maintenance perspective?

I'm not sure if that's necessarily a factor here. I was referencing Disney's pivot towards "generic retail space" for Epcot, homogenizing all of its merchandise and turning all of the parks into IP-laden wastelands of mediocre attractions.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I will miss the old signs, as I long associated that color scheme with WDW, and they were easy to read. Of course, they are just road signs, so it’s not really a big deal. But I wonder, why spend this money? Couldn’t we have had just one less food price increase and keep the old signs? Were there complaints?

FerretAfros

Mile marker, rest area, and restaurant signage has been more or less universally blue and white for ages with no visibility issues. I'm sure it'll be fine. Additionally, I would think that having the blue a bit darker would actually enhance color contrast in poor conditions even if it detracts from the initial eye-catch.
Most directional signage is actually green, per the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices (though street name signs often vary by jurisdiction, with blue and brown also being relatively common).

Although there are a handful of exceptions, each color represents a different type of signage with a different purpose. While drivers may not consciously notice the entire color pattern, most are familiar enough to be able to quickly decipher whether they need to read a sign at a particular moment, without actually having to read it.
  • Green: Wayfinding & directional signage
  • Blue: Expressway services (gas stations, restaurants, attractions, etc.) & Accessibility-related signage
  • White: Regulatory (speed limits, HOV restrictions, parking restrictions, etc.)
  • Yellow: Warning (tight curves, steep grades, animal crossings, etc.)
  • Orange: Temporary traffic control (typically construction-related)
  • Brown: Recreation
  • Lime green: Schools & pedestrian crossings
  • Red: "Stop" & "Do not enter"
  • Purple: Typically associated with toll roads (though not exclusively)
While jurisdictions and private landowners are allowed to create their own standards, these are generally what is accepted and recognized throughout the US. If and when different designs are created, they should be done purposefully, and with consideration to legibility, clarity, and simplicity. WDW's old(?) signs did this very well, using a bight colors and bold fonts that could be easily read from a distance, and distinguished them from the public roads. Prior to that, most of WDW's signs had been brown, similar to the MUTCD standard for recreation purposes.

The two different shades of blue on the new sign are perplexing, as they're too similar to one another to really stand out. The arrows also seem difficult to read; they appear to be based on the MUTCD's "down" arrow that's typically used to designate specific lanes from an overhead sign, but are being used as directional arrows to point outward. The fat arrow and narrow tail just don't read clearly in this context. The shapes and colors remind me more of a webpage or mobile app design than something that would be used for a physical sign.

The design of these signs is odd: they're unique enough that they don't comply with the MUTCD, but similar enough that they don't really "feel" any different. They also aren't as clear and easy to read as either the standard signs or the old ones. This seems to be a great example of how something isn't necessarily better just because it's new and/or custom-designed; sometimes existing elements or standard features actually work better.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not sure if that's necessarily a factor here. I was referencing Disney's pivot towards "generic retail space" for Epcot, homogenizing all of its merchandise and turning all of the parks into IP-laden wastelands of mediocre attractions.
I’m agreeing with you in general…not necessarily with the signs.

but there is a psychological gain to “reduce expectations” across the board.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I will miss the old signs, as I long associated that color scheme with WDW, and they were easy to read. Of course, they are just road signs, so it’s not really a big deal. But I wonder, why spend this money? Couldn’t we have had just one less food price increase and keep the old signs? Were there complaints?
I highly doubt the stockholders are paying a dime for this…they’re not having a great month anyway.

bpiper

General question. Those signs are made out of aluminum panels bolted together. Would they sand them down and repaint them or just chuck into the recycle bin?

With the shortages of aluminum cans in the last 2 years, this would be an expensive project to tackle right now.

KBLovedDisney

file.php

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The old signs needed to be frequently repainted too. They take abuse from that Florida sun and they would fade badly.

cmb5002

Been expecting this ever since they moved away from that color scheme in other areas of Disney Transport. Honestly surprised they went with Interstate as the font rather than something distinctive, though.

EDIT: Check that, looks like the signs use Adobe's Expressway, which is very similar to Interstate/Highway Gothic.

EDIT 2: A look at the original signage project from the designers. I don't recall the Mickey face peeking over the sign shown in the examples.

I'm surprised they're using something based on Highway Gothic. Clearview font has been standard around me for almost 10 years.

Vegas Disney Fan

Color aside, I also like the switch to rounded corners.
I was going to make the same comment, the rounded corners look much better. The square corners always looked unfinished to me. A tiny detail but a nice one.

I prefer the old color scheme but I’m not sure I’d have even noticed the change if I hadn’t seen this thread before my next trip.

Lil Copter Cap

It's not.
Yeah, there are quite a few signs that remain unpainted and the fading is a mess. There is one near Animal Kingdom Lodge's exit (even pre-pandemic) and one over by Disney Springs that are almost white with the sun bleaching.

I don't mind the new look. I was particularly excited to see rounded edges. Interested to see how the design is spread across other signage (specifically the poles and slanted supports).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom